• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M20: I Choose You!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might have a few added things to it but i expect most of it to be the same as the episode.

Can't say I expected that.

2016 seems to be the year of change for The Pokemon Company, what with the drastic changes to the games and anime and now this. I'm not all that interested in Kanto and Gen 1 anymore, so I'm not hyped for it, but this does at least have my attention and I'm curious to know what they're planning on doing: whether it's a retelling/re-imagining of the first episode only, a retelling of the whole Kanto arc, or even if it's an AU of sorts. Maybe this movie will be to the anime what Generations was to the games.

The most interesting thing from the reveal, apart from the stunningly good looking shots of Pallet Town, has to be that poster with Ho-Oh on it. Ho-Oh is the only legendary that has yet to receive any sort of focus or significant screentime, despite being one of the oldest, so it'd be cool if it got some attention. I'd love an AU where Ash decided to follow Ho-Oh.

As someone who's been critical of the routine, re-hashed plots of every movie since the end of AG, and has lost a lot of interest in them because of that, I'm glad they're changing things up. Even if it's more Gen 1/Kanto pandering, I can still appreciate the intent.

Like digimon, my childhood nostalgia lies in the dub, but growing up I have grown fond of both OS and the japanese presentation. And like digimon, when tri popped up I want to go out and screan my lungs out in joy. Mesaze is such a good OP, and they are lunging straight for the jugular with this movie, I can't help but enjoy this move. Going back to the beginning is such a perfect move, I cannot wait.

I really wonder what direction they're taking this. If they're looking back on the first season, considering it is officially the 20th anniversary of the anime in 2017, I hope they won't leave out Brock and Misty.

They along with the Rocket trio are practically guaranteed to be in this, there's no way a retelling of Kanto would leave out 4/5 of the main cast.

I wonder if they're going to remaster music from the first series (and the other ones too if they show more than just Kanto) or maybe use the original pieces? And I wonder if any of the traveling companions will get slight redesigns like Ash did. Gah the more I think about this the more excited I get ;-;

I have no nostalgia for Gen I. Just give me Solgaleo and Lunala for this, they're what I'm awaiting.

I honestly cannot even deal with all the emotions I'm feeling from this and it's been like half a day. I didn't even know this was something I wanted until it came about and now I want it more than anything, gosh. And I love the idea of this being like the Eva movies are to the Pokemon anime's neon genesis evangelion. They are based on it but completely worthwhile in their own right. I couldn't see it In the first image that surfaced, but I noticed on the website that ash and pikachu are beat up like after the spearow fight, which got me so excited to see that gorgeously re-animated!

The Pokemon anime is extremely important to me, I own literally every episode released on DVD to date, the Australian Pokemon chronicles box, all the movies in English and on Japanese blu-ray, Japanese movie short/random episode DVDs, and I watch episodes every night before bed to wind down. As such, I can safely say that for me, we have almost 20 years of content following the classic formula to go back and watch if we're missing it, so we have room for them to experiment with something different for a bit. To be honest though, if it does end up being a re-telling of the beginning of the series in gorgeous animation with little deviation, I'll still happily eat it up and buy the discs. Seeing the characters I've always loved again after so long is enough for me. Just the short flashback clips in 'The Fires of A Red Hot Reunion' in black and white animation made me so happy. Maybe I'm just too easy to please, but bring it on either way, man.

Oh man, You have no idea how happy I am after hearing this. I was kinda expecting the usual Sun & Moon film but since Pokémon's still (sort of) celebrating it's 20th anniversary, they probably needed to celebrate with something bigger.

I honestly like the idea of redoing the first episode as a feature film, that means we may get to know more about Ash's childhood, we might even know stuff we didn't know or missed out on.

This certainly looks like it's going to be a great big love letter to the franchise and let's hope it goes that way once we get more images and footage.

(Also for the English dub, they should certainly bring Veronica Taylor back as Ash, that would certainly be the icing on the cake)

Wait... so it airs july 15th 2017? Is this one of those trailers in the theaters that's like "coming to a theater near you" but you have to wait like 10 months to a year for it to come out and you wonder why they even showed it this early in the first place? Come on man.

Wait... so it airs july 15th 2017? Is this one of those trailers in the theaters that's like "coming to a theater near you" but you have to wait like 10 months to a year for it to come out and you wonder why they even showed it this early in the first place? Come on man.
It's only a 30-second teaser trailer. More trailers will come as we get closer to the release date.

They do it this way every year, and I believe it's to build hype. We get a little teaser trailer at this time of the year, spring we get a longer trailer and then all through the first half of the year leading up to the release date, information about the Pokemon (including new ones or new formes), characters and plot trickle out.

Really disappointed by this. I generally like the Pokemon movies, there have been some really fantastic ones. But this sounds like it`s just going to be a re-telling of the beginning of the anime or something and I don`t need that. I`ve watched the anime, many times in fact and don`t need to rewatch the beginning of it in movie format.

Really hate it when anime movies are released and they`re essentially just a few eps of the anime thrown together with maybe some extra scenes or something and never expected Pokemon to stoop that low :(

Just give me Solgaleo and Lunala for this, they're what I'm awaiting.
Why would they? Especially when they can just use them for the main anime, which would be best for Lillie's story.

KaPi96 said:
Really hate it when anime movies are released and they`re essentially just a few eps of the anime thrown together with maybe some extra scenes or something and never expected Pokemon to stoop that low
We don't know that. I guess you haven't watched reboot movies like Rebuild of Evangelion.

The narrator even says: “The world, and the friends, you’ve yet to see. A new journey begins.” Granted, this is an exaggeration to anyone who actually watched the original series, but it heavily implies that there will be major changes.

Last edited:
Why would they? Especially when they can just use them for the main anime, which would be best for Lillie's plot.
We still haven't seen any sign of Lillie's bag, even in the SM008 preview, so I'm really beginning to doubt that they're going to follow Sun and Moon's story down to the wire.

We still haven't seen any sign of Lillie's bag, even in the SM008 preview, so I'm really beginning to doubt that they're going to follow Sun and Moon's story down to the wire.
They aren't going to follow it that closely, but I think that we can expect Nebby to show up later in the series when the focus isn't on slice of life. It's more likely than having the mascots appear in a Kanto movie, at any rate.

They aren't going to follow it that closely, but I think that we can expect Nebby to show up later in the series when the focus isn't on slice of life. It's more likely than having the mascots appear in a Kanto movie, at any rate.
My gripe is that I'd rather have an Alola movie. An anniversary should be about the entire thing, not just its beginnings. I feel that they're approaching this 20th year incorrectly with what currently appears to be a Kanto movie.

My gripe is that I'd rather have an Alola movie. An anniversary should be about the entire thing, not just its beginnings. I feel that they're approaching this 20th year incorrectly with what currently appears to be a Kanto movie.
Naaaah. They can't really do anything for encompassing the entire series in movie form without some sort of retread of movie 18, and when it comes to the anime itself, the original series has a much bigger role in its 20 year success then the first two gens game wise, which has seen various dips and peaks. The Anime has always been steady, but the dips far outweigh the peaks, and it hasn't reached the original 6 year run in terms of popularity at all. Gen 7 could see its own proper Alola movie at the tail end, serving as a climax to the series overall, and I am wondering if that would be a better approach 2-3 movies that are unrelated to the current series, but expanding on the world with alternate views or storylines, with one last shebang for the current series being totally canonical offering some sort of climax to whatever the current arc is. I would assume an Alola movie would be fitting only if it involved Aether itself, and somehow tied Marshadow and Necrozma into the mix.

Let's just put it this way: This movie has a very real chance of getting a theatrical, non-limited release outside Japan due to the nostalgia-driven resurgence of the franchise in the west. A standard Alola movie wouldn't have that going for it.

And the Aether Foundation should definitely be resolved in the main anime.

That's understandable, it's just a big "swing and miss" thing from my perspective. I'm not big on Kanto, OS, or Gen I.

I'll leave you all in peace now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom