• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

News Pokemon travelling companion poll

Does anyone have the results of the other two polls? I believe they're rankings of the movies and Ash's Pokemon.

40% of the voters were under 20, and that is hardly a negligible amount. Let's not forget that someone was 10 when DP started would be over 20 now. The poll should be targeted at people who are familiar with all the series, or otherwise their votes would be uninformed. So the majority being over 20 is ideal, and 851 is not a small sample size. How many Japanese people are familiar with nearly 20 years of the anime's history? A million seems like a very generous estimate, and in that case, 851 voters should yield a margin of error around 3%-4% (at a 95% confidence level). There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Kids who are only familiar with the recent series are not the target demographic of this poll.

It's the main aspect of how the character was marketed.... Did you watch the 20th anniversary special? It reduced Serena to shipping fodder.

Poll 1 : What was your favorite Pokemon movie ?
1. Pokémon: The Movie: Mewtwo Strikes Back
2. Pokémon Heroes: Latios and Latias
3. Pokémon: Lucario and the Mystery of Mew
4. Pokémon: Jirachi Wish Maker
5. Pokémon: The Rise of Darkrai

Poll 2 : Who is your favorite Ash's Pokemon (or what is Ash's most impressive Pokemon?)
1. Charizard
2. Pikachu
3. Infernape (proof that Serena's 2nd place has nothing to do with recency, especially since Ash-Greninja was even marketed in the games)
4. Greninja
5. Butterfree

It's the main aspect of how the character was marketed.... Did you watch the 20th anniversary special? It reduced Serena to shipping fodder.

They just introduced a segment about Ash and Serena for the TV show because they know that the fans like Amourshipping especially in Japan (they even invited Serena's Japan voice actress to narrate the event because they knew that the fans in Japan like her a lot now , she became popular because she played Serena. Don't tell me it's because of recency again since the 10th anniversary special in 2007 had Misty's voice actress at the narration) it was just fanservice. It has NOTHING to do with Serena's character and her goal.

Last edited:
I am disgusted at the Lugia and Entei movies not being among the top 5. I suspect that the Latias shipping has something to do with the Altomare movie being popular.

it was just fanservice. It has NOTHING to do with Serena's character and her goal.
So you think that this blatant fanservice is a small part of why most people like her? Keep telling yourself that.

And shipping is obviously related to Serena's character/goal when by her own words, her goal is Ash and she wants to become a more "charming woman" by the next time they meet.

Last edited:
I am disgusted at the Lugia and Entei movies not being among the top 5. I suspect that the Latias shipping has something to do with the Altomare movie being popular.

So you think that this blatant fanservice is a small part of why most people like her? Keep telling yourself that.

And shipping is obviously related to Serena's character/goal when by her own words, her goal is Ash and she wants to become a more "charming woman" by the next time they meet.

A show for little kids having animals fall in love with humans...

While I'm baffled as well regarding the Entei movie not being in the list, since it is considered by most one of the best Pokémon movies ever, it doesn't surprise me much that the Lugia movie didn't even make it to the list. Aside of it oozing PokéShipping, it didn't really have much that successive movies didn't pull off better.

For example, "The Rise of Darkrai" showcased a catastrophic event much better, what with the very fabric of time and space bending and twisting, risking to send the world in a inescapable black hole (or whatever thing happened to the unlucky victims).

Though, I'm puzzled about the Lati duo movie being ranked that high, even beating the Lucario movie. I actually like it and find it nice (which is further aided by me being a huge fan of the "A New Chance At Life" fanfic, which takes heavy inspiration from that movie), but I have heard plenty of times that it actually bombed in theaters. So, I can't help but be puzzled by that.

Also, no Keldeo movie? I have heard that was very popular as well, so I find its absence quite unusual.

I'm surprised that the Latios/Latias movie ended up so high as well. I liked it and I generally thought it was a fine movie, but it definitely wouldn't rank among the top five Pokemon movies for me. At least the Lucario movie did pretty well and it was nice to see the Jirachi movie getting some attention. The Darkari movie placing in fifth is a bit of a surprise, but I can see why it would get a lot of votes.

I suspect that the Latias shipping has something to do with the Altomare movie being popular.
It also seems because of the setting and the soundtrack. I still think the Entei movie deserves to be ranked higher than Jirachi movie, though.

If there's anything the Lugia movie did better than the other movies, it's the Rocket Gang moments. It had the best Rocket Gang moment out of any film. Fleura's also still one of the better side CotM's.

Last edited:
5. Butterfree

... This really took me aback (considering how few episodes Butterfree had), but I suppose the emotion of Ash's first ever Pokemon release on older viewers - possibly cemented by the fact of its reference in Best Wishes as well, which may have lead the younger audience to check out episodes with his original Butterfree, just a speculation - had a large impact on people. Oh, and also that it was the first Pokemon he had ever caught - that may have also struck a chord with some voters.

Definitely don't think they were considering "most impressive" when choosing this one, though.

Poll 1 : What was your favorite Pokemon movie ?
1. Pokémon: The Movie: Mewtwo Strikes Back
2. Pokémon Heroes: Latios and Latias
3. Pokémon: Lucario and the Mystery of Mew
4. Pokémon: Jirachi Wish Maker
5. Pokémon: The Rise of Darkrai

Poll 2 : Who is your favorite Ash's Pokemon (or what is Ash's most impressive Pokemon?)
1. Charizard
2. Pikachu
3. Infernape (proof that Serena's 2nd place has nothing to do with recency, especially since Ash-Greninja was even marketed in the games)
4. Greninja
5. Butterfree

They just introduced a segment about Ash and Serena for the TV show because they know that the fans like Amourshipping especially in Japan (they even invited Serena's Japan voice actress to narrate the event because they knew that the fans in Japan like her a lot now , she became popular because she played Serena. Don't tell me it's because of recency again since the 10th anniversary special in 2007 had Misty's voice actress at the narration) it was just fanservice. It has NOTHING to do with Serena's character and her goal.
What anniversary special are you referring to? Sorry, I'm a bit confused.

Aside of it oozing PokéShipping, it didn't really have much that successive movies didn't pull off better.
It is the only movie that pulled off a cooperation between Ash, his Pokemon (Pikachu and the starters), the focused legendary (Lugia), a traveling companion (Misty), a movie-exclusive character (Melody) and Team Rocket. Bonus points for showing that Delia gave a damn about her own son risking his life, and making a point that he shouldn't have to do that.

The Darkrai movie was a cheap knockoff, with even Darkrai's ambiguous death being lifted from the Latios and Lucario scenes. Not to mention that there was no real villain, with Dialga and Palkia's fight being explained in a lame way two years after the fact.

For example, "The Rise of Darkrai" showcased a catastrophic event much better, what with the very fabric of time and space bending and twisting, risking to send the world in a inescapable black hole (or whatever thing happened to the unlucky victims).
Only Alamos Town was in danger. A light version of the Team Galactic climax, which wasn't that great in its own right.

I am not sure sure how a black hole is more interesting than the world being flooded, either.

Also, no Keldeo movie? I have heard that was very popular as well, so I find its absence quite unusual.
lol

The plot is a slightly more interesting version of the Shaymin movie. That doesn't make it good.

Last edited:
I'm sure the Japanese audience liked Mewtwo Strikes Back for more reasons other than being "Mewtwo fans".

Bonus points for showing that Delia gave a damn about her own son risking his life, and making a point that he shouldn't have to do that..
Come to think of it, weren't the Lugia and Entei movies the only films where Hanako has a role? That's pretty notable in and of itself.

Last edited:
Iris almost dead last behind Tracey. I like these guys. I'm guessing Bonnie and Serena were helped by recency bias though.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom