• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The 3DS Successor and its effects on Pokemon

Do you think Switch is the 3DS Successor, and we may get a Pokemon game on it?

• Yes, Switch is the true successor for Wii U and 3DS, and we're gonna have core games on it.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • No, we're gonna have a new handheld system to replace 3DS and Pokemon games will be restricted to it

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • No. We're gonna have a new successor to 3DS, and Core series will be present on both Switch and '4DS

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters
The bottom line is that the only "recent" handheld systems that fit a pocket are the original 3DS and standard New 3DS (which is hard to find in the US).

except pockets
A lot of clothings have pockets that are too small to fit even a smartphone. Besides, there are other essentials to take when leaving the house (such as wallets, keys, pens and paper, etc) so unless there's nothing to carry, a bag would almost always be in need. The 2DS fits in almost any bag except the smallest of bags (which are inefficient on their own and won't fit the original 3DS anyways).

I can easily fit my 3DS XL and my wallet in the same pocket of my jeans, shorts, long pants etc, so basically all my pants. Guess this means that we have some pretty big pockets over here. :p

I would like to test if I can do the same with the Switch minus JoyCons. But sadly, I don't own one.

I can easily fit my 3DS XL and my wallet in the same pocket of my jeans, shorts, long pants etc, so basically all my pants. Guess this means that we have some pretty big pockets over here. :p

I would like to test if I can do the same with the Switch minus JoyCons. But sadly, I don't own one.
No doubt you can (somehow, lol). Without the Joy Cons the difference is minor (certainly length-wise, but the Switch is wider).

Last edited:
why continue a handheld system when you have a hybrid system that can do the same job better?
See: GBA micro and DSi

Edit: Serebii has just tweeted hat he had to leave his Switch at home because he couldn't fit it in his bag. That says something about the Switch's portability.
Well, I've seen hundreds of people on Reddit carrying their Switches almost everywhere. I don't think 1 person can declare this display of portability null and void.

The 2DS fits in almost any bag except the smallest of bags (which are inefficient on their own and won't fit the original 3DS anyways).
Switch can also be fitted into a bag.

That's what I'm thinking. GF has a vendetta towards Nintendo home consoles. They haven't released a game for a Nintendo home console since the SNES era. Although the Switch is portable, it is not as portable as the 3DS line.

Edit: Serebii has just tweeted hat he had to leave his Switch at home because he couldn't fit it in his bag. That says something about the Switch's portability.

No, that just says that the Serebii user has a very small bag. A very small bag he likely purchased solely to keep his 3DS in. That in no way discredits the Switch's portability.

A lot of clothings have pockets that are too small to fit even a smartphone.

Okay, sure. But I'm just saying most pockets (jacket pockets, basketball pants/shorts, jeans and suit pants if they're men's cut) can hold a standard sized smartphone. I've never had a single issue putting a smartphone in my pockets. But God knows I could never put a 2DS in my pocket. The dimensions aren't even remotely comparable.

EDIT: I became curious and I found out on your profile that you are female. That definitely makes a difference. I admit most articles of women's clothing I've ever seen have either no pockets or super small pockets that even smartphones barely squeeze into. I admit men's clothing have it much easier, and that is the perspective from which I speak. I can fit smartphones into my pockets, as well as my 3DS XL. Men's clothing pockets are usually huge comparatively.

See: GBA micro and DSi
The GBA Micro was a commercial failure and the DSi was released 2.5 years prior to the 3DS. Even the XL variant preceded the 3DS by a year.

So no, it is not obvious why they're optimistic about the N2DS XL unless they have at least one big title planned, which hasn't been announced yet.

As much as the WII switch is a likely platform for next gen pokemon games I don't believe it will be the main platform.

I do feel that Nintendo will be releasing another handheld device despite the popularity of mobile phone platforms.

As much as the WII switch is a likely platform for next gen pokemon games I don't believe it will be the main platform.

I do feel that Nintendo will be releasing another handheld device despite the popularity of mobile phone platforms.
Its just that it would make sense for Nintendo to do a Switch mini (What's with this Wii Switch business?) instead of focusing on another brand new system. It seems, based on the reveal of the *new* 2dsxl and their 3ds sales goal for this fiscal year, that Nintendo intends to keep the 3ds line alive for a bit longer. That being said, the Switch already has handheld capabilities and should have a modest level of games by the time the 3ds ends, so it would just make sense to expand that user base by introducing a version that emphasizes the handheld qualities of the system. That's just how I view the situation though. Nintendo does some things that don't always makes sense to fans, so who knows what they'll do.

The only lag I noticed (on the original 3DS) was during Totem and Double battles. As annoying as that is, it barely affected my playthrough because those battles are rare. Totem battles may be gone from the next games, anyway.

And that doesn't have to do with Pokemon? If Nintendo aren't done with the 3DS, why should Game Freak?

I'm of the opinion main series pokemon games will stay on 3ds.

As of yet we've seen no indication Nintendo's mobile games are coming to switch and no dual releases across systems yet.

I think it's also important to note that IF the Switch does become the successor to the 3DS and has a Pokemon game, then it would be the first time that a Pokemon game was not able to be played on the previous and current system. (i.e. The GB color could play GB games, the GBA could GB/GBC games, the first DS could play GBA games, the 3DS can play DS games.) The Switch cannot play 3DS games, at least the cartridges. This could be an important point when considering a cross-platform Pokemon game. That being said, this is a very weak argument. This argument alone would definitely be an insufficient justification for a cross-platform game, but as a fan I think it is important to consider the unique circumstance that we find ourselves in.

We're not currently sure if the Nintendo Switch will be the true successor (replacement) of the Nintendo 3DS. As of now, the plans are for the 3DS to coexist alongside the Switch. However, I don't think Gamefreak should worry about current consoles playing games from the previous consoles, when the potential for great Pokémon games can be achieved for Nintendo Switch. Sure, it is a shame that Nintendo Switch cannot play 3DS games, however, it is what it is. I don't want that to be an excuse for game freak not to develop Pokémon games for Nintendo Switch.

I also don't currently believe there will be a '3DS' successor. In my opinion, there would be little point in making Nintendo Switch a completely hybrid console, only to go around and create a new handheld console. What I see happening is Nintendo creating the next handheld console to be a 'miniature Switch,' that is to say, a handheld only version of the Switch that serves as a cheaper alternative to Nintendo Switch, and plays Switch games. I only see handheld consoles being created if the Switch fails (which I highly doubt), or if the next home console is not a hybrid console like Nintendo Switch.

The announcement of the Nintendo 2DSXL, to me, means that dedicated handhelds are still profitable. They might eventually create a 3DS replacement down the line.

The announcement of the Nintendo 2DSXL, to me, means that dedicated handhelds are still profitable. They might eventually create a 3DS replacement down the line.

Of course they are still profitable, however, you must ask what benefit Nintendo Switch's hybrid feature is if Nintendo also plan to create a seperate handheld console alongside it anyway. Unless of course, we go with my theory that Nintendo will release a handheld only version of the Switch. That way, there will still be a cheaper, 'dedicated' handheld line, without making Nintendo Switch's handheld aspect redundant.

Back
Top Bottom