• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The 3DS Successor and its effects on Pokemon

Do you think Switch is the 3DS Successor, and we may get a Pokemon game on it?

• Yes, Switch is the true successor for Wii U and 3DS, and we're gonna have core games on it.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • No, we're gonna have a new handheld system to replace 3DS and Pokemon games will be restricted to it

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • No. We're gonna have a new successor to 3DS, and Core series will be present on both Switch and '4DS

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters
Well, they are 0% likely to remove the trainer models due to the Z-Moves. So, every game on 3DS will now display 'too much', so, in short, every game on 3DS will lag by your own reasoning.
Also, there will be a massive backlash if any further game is a downgrade from SM.

Personally, I'm a big supporter of the idea of doing a half 2d/half 3d system.

i.e. 2D Overworld, 3D battles. And as a friend said the other day: "like Fire Emblem?" lol

Have everything outside of battles be in 2D, except for maybe occassional 3D cutscenes. Would make the return of following Pokemon much more possible (PLS!). Then anytime you go into battle, it's 3D. I'm no pro, but wouldn't the battle quality improve since there aren't other sections of the game pulling so much resources?

Gen 8 will def be in the Switch.
But Gen 4 heavily depends on the dual screen, so Sinnoh remakes might be for the 3DS if they happen during Gen 7.

Like Fire Emblem? That would be a huge departure from SM and even the Generation VI games. It would be a regression to Generation V.

I really don't see anything wrong with SM's overworld (except for those silly gates) and I am quite sure that the only reason they didn't implement walking Pokemon was to create an added incentive to buy the next game.

I'm no pro, but wouldn't the battle quality improve since there aren't other sections of the game pulling so much resources?
No. The overworld has no effect on battles.

Gen 8 will def be in the Switch.
But Gen 4 heavily depends on the dual screen, so Sinnoh remakes might be for the 3DS if they happen during Gen 7.

Eh, it was just the Poketch. Sure it was important for the originals, but I don't see any huge problem with them replacing it or removing it for a feature better suited for the Switch or something.

That would be a huge departure from SM and even the Generation VI games. It would be a regression to Generation V.

I don't really see it as a regression at all. Just a change in style. It's the content of the game that matters, not the graphics. At least in my opinion--I understand why some, like yourself, would be opposed to it and see it as a regression.

There's no reasoning behind the new 2ds other than money,I mean 3ds's were sold out everywhere from Nov till April.

It's still the biggest selling game system out there,so release a new model to sell even more.

The new 2ds really has no impact on future pokemon games all it really implies is Nintendo isn't near done with 3ds even though switch is out

The only lag I noticed (on the original 3DS) was during Totem and Double battles. As annoying as that is, it barely affected my playthrough because those battles are rare. Totem battles may be gone from the next games, anyway.

The new 2ds really has no impact on future pokemon games all it really implies is Nintendo isn't near done with 3ds even though switch is out
And that doesn't have to do with Pokemon? If Nintendo aren't done with the 3DS, why should Game Freak?

Well, aren't they the official battle format of Pokemon, VGC? (My memory's a bit off on this)
Yeah. VGC will be embarrassing to watch, but from a selfish viewpoint, I don't care about it.

If the next game has a Switch version, then it will be possible to use that one for VGC 2018 (and 2019). 3DS players will just connect to it and use the second Switch controller, much like the Stadium games.

*fights with my own mind* "Nintendo... why did you release these beautiful things together?"

For O3DS owners, bad news for ya-:
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/3DS/comments/68a0j5/despite_supporting_it_through_2018_nintendo_will/

How to Use the Nintendo 3DS Download Software Repair Tool | Nintendo Support
Nintendo Page said:
  • Note About Original Nintendo 3DS Repairs: Nintendo no longer offers factory repairs for the original Nintendo 3DS system. Newer Nintendo 3DS family products (including the Nintendo 3DS XL and Nintendo 2DS) are still being repaired. If you aren't sure which system you have, check the serial number on the back of your system. If the serial number begins with CW, you have an original Nintendo 3DS system. Click here for information on replacement or upgrade options.
I think Nintendo plans to phase out the O3DS(XL) Variants, beginning with O3DS.

Does that mean anything for console support? A N3/2DS(XL) and Switch release is more likely now.

Personally, I think any Nintendo Handheld before N3DSXL was hideous....

How dare you insult the DS Light D:< Seriously though, it was so cute and comfy, I really miss it's simplistic design. It's probably why I like the New 2DS's design.

Also, whatever the 3DS's successor may be, it better finally have the stylus back on the side just as with the DS Light. It's annoying on the back with the 3DS, cause you have to reach awkwardly beneath the top screen, and it's not much better on the front on the New 3DS, cause it's next to the On-button which I keep trying to grab instead of the stylus -_-

And that doesn't have to do with Pokemon? If Nintendo aren't done with the 3DS, why should Game Freak?

Nintendo isn't done with the 3DS simply because it still sells well. It could very well be they are done with Pokémon on the 3DS and want it moved to the Switch to make it a Switch-seller. There's quite a lot of games still being released on the 3DS, Pokémon doesn't have to be one of them to keep the handheld alive for a while longer.

Or GF doesn't want to release Stars on the 3DS cause that would just make it another third version and that's not really surprising anymore. Can actually see them releasing the DPPt remakes on the 3DS still though, but on the other hand also not, cause it still is a dying system. Even literally now with Nintendo not repairing it anymore :p And afaik most people own the original one, so once it dies they'll probably just move on to the next new thing (the Switch) instead of buying a New 3DS. If GF releases games on the Switch, people would be able to enjoy it longer. Releasing BW2 on the DS while the 3DS was already out was no problem in that regard, as you could also play DS games on the 3DS.

All in all, the 2DS and new 3DS still being supported doesn't say anything at all really. It could very well still go both ways.

Nintendo isn't done with the 3DS simply because it still sells well. It could very well be they are done with Pokémon on the 3DS and want it moved to the Switch to make it a Switch-seller. There's quite a lot of games still being released on the 3DS, Pokémon doesn't have to be one of them to keep the handheld alive for a while longer.
There aren't a lot of big games announced for the system (just Dragon Quest XI in Japan and maybe Snack World if Level-5 get lucky, but none of those games are even 3DS-exclusive). In order to meet Nintendo's expectations for 3DS software sales, there needs to be some surprise by the time E3 rolls around.

Or GF doesn't want to release Stars on the 3DS cause that would just make it another third version and that's not really surprising anymore.
Because they have to release a third version either way, right? The Eurogamer rumor hinges on the Switch exclusivity tidbit. If that is thrown out, anything goes.

Past third versions were all promoted by the movies released in the same years. That is certainly not the case now.

And afaik most people own the original one, so once it dies
There is no reason to think that all of a sudden a lot of those systems will die just because Nintendo is done fixing them.

There is no reason to think that all of a sudden a lot of those systems will die just because Nintendo is done fixing them.

Not because they're done fixing them, but because a lot of them were bought on release and therefore already 6 years old. They will start dying soon, and now that Nintendo won't fix them, there's no reason to keep it. Nintendo not fixing them anymore doesn't mean they all start dying now, it does mean that once it dies it stays dead and people will actually not have one anymore, and probably aren't willing to spend quite a sum of money on a new one when there's a new toy that's also partly a handheld, which you can get for just a bit more.

How dare you insult the DS Light D:<

I mostly critisiced the 3DS line. DS lite isn't super beautiful (Wii for life! Even though it isn't a handheld!!), and could use a better aesthetic (PSP had a premium feel). I feel the N2DS has the best design of the lot, and mainly the reason I prefer it over N3DSXL

Tell that to my 10 years old DS Lite, 14 years old GBA and 17 years old GB/GBC. Nintendo handheld systems are famous for their longevity.

spend quite a sum of money on a new one when there's a new toy you can get for just a bit more.
$150 is just a bit more? Not to mention that the regular 2DS is as cheap as $80.

Lastly, the majority of 3DS players don't own the original system. Only about 37% do and a chunk of those bought one of the other systems, too.

Last edited:
There aren't a lot of big games announced for the system (just Dragon Quest XI in Japan and maybe Snack World if Level-5 get lucky, but none of those games are even 3DS-exclusive). In order to meet Nintendo's expectations for 3DS software sales, there needs to be some surprise by the time E3 rolls around.

This, right here, is why I find Nintendo continuing the 3DS family to be so odd. The only possible big-name game the system could have to make it even worth the effort would be Pokemon. And Nintendo has proven willingness to simply stop all development for a handheld that is still doing well before, so I don't think the profit margin the system currently has is the reason.

And with the Switch itself out, I don't think Nintendo lacks for a 3DS replacement, either.

Tell that to my 10 years old DS Lite, 14 years old GBA and 17 years old GB/GBC. Nintendo handheld systems are famous for their longevity.

That's because they're made for children. The Switch strikes me as an adult console.

Back
Top Bottom