• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What do you think of Ground Type?

Why? Maybe I'm biased because Steel is my favorite type, but Metal is a legit "element." It's actually one of the five elements in the Chinese Wu Ji system (Earth, Metal, Wood, Fire and Water). It's also an element in Bionicle in the form of Iron.

But it is still one of type of stones, or rocks maybe much stronger than the normal rock, but to me, it is still a rock.

But it is still one of type of stones, or rocks maybe much stronger than the normal rock, but to me, it is still a rock.
Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra actually see it that way, but I feel there's more of a difference between Steel and Earth/Ground/Stone/Rock as an element. They're technically the same thing, but much like how Water and Ice, they feel different enough to me to count as different elements despite one being a logical extension of the other.

Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra actually see it that way, but I feel there's more of a difference between Steel and Earth/Ground/Stone/Rock as an element. They're technically the same thing, but much like how Water and Ice, they feel different enough to me to count as different elements despite one being a logical extension of the other.

Well, I am not sure, but maybe. Anyway, about ground, then who are the best ground pokemons for you?

Well, one of the most important things that really make me really love this type; it is because if I had a really big problem in the game, or challenge a really strong opponent in the game, and I need a solution. The answer come from This type, it is always my solution for multi problems. When I need a pokemon for beating a really pokemon, or have a strong defense, then I choose this type, when I want to revive, or restore my pokemon energy, and not lose any pokemon, then I choose this type. For beating Iron, I did found an answer of how to beat this type without using fire, the same with Poison. If I don't want to lose to electric type by using a type disadvatage such as water, then I choose a water ground, or Flying ground. All these reasons are the reasons of why I love this, with why I did this thread

Me when facing a Ground type Pokemon:
Oh well just one Hydro Pump or Surf from my Lapras can deal with this

Me when facing a Pokémon with Earthquake:
Damn Urfkwake!!!! (Just joking lol)

Me when facing a ground type:
Go, Greninja! Use Ice Beam/Water Shruiken!

Me when facing a Pokemon with earthquake.
Go, Zygarde 10% with focus sash/ go Charizard/go Greninja!

So both of you PkmnTrainerV, and BorgyDudeMan are making fun of the Ground type because we can beat them bby water or ice so easily. Ok if that so, then I will use rock attack to lapras by ground type. And I to greninja, then I will use dig

So both of you PkmnTrainerV, and BorgyDudeMan are making fun of the Ground type because we can beat them bby water or ice so easily. Ok if that so, then I will use rock attack to lapras by ground type. And I to greninja, then I will use dig

Not making fun, just not one of my favourite types. It also gets minus points for being super effective to my favourite type (fire).
Water shruiken will hit a ground type befor dig, also, Greninja is fast enough to use ice Beam before dig.

Not making fun, just not one of my favourite types. It also gets minus points for being super effective to my favourite type (fire).
Water shruiken will hit a ground type befor dig, also, Greninja is fast enough to use ice Beam before dig.

Ok, you are fine to say your opinion, but still when you say it by thing way, it looks like it is so single to beat this type. I do love it, it the best after ice and water. The dig always quick attacks so I am not if Water shruiken will hit a ground type befor dig.

I think it's one of the strongest offensive Types. It has a pretty great coverage as the majority of them can learn Rock Type moves for hitting the birds; plus, its immunity against Electric Type makes it unique, especially because they can't directly be paralyzed.

Well, one of the most important things that really make me really love this type; it is because if I had a really big problem in the game, or challenge a really strong opponent in the game, and I need a solution. The answer come from This type, it is always my solution for multi problems. When I need a pokemon for beating a really pokemon, or have a strong defense, then I choose this type, when I want to revive, or restore my pokemon energy, and not lose any pokemon, then I choose this type. For beating Iron, I did found an answer of how to beat this type without using fire, the same with Poison. If I don't want to lose to electric type by using a type disadvatage such as water, then I choose a water ground, or Flying ground. All these reasons are the reasons of why I love this, with why I did this thread

I thought I liked Ground types more, but checking it seems not as much?
I love the Sandslash and Marowak lines, Golem, Rhydon's line, Onix/Steelix (<3), Vibrava/Flygon, Torterra, Golett/Golurk, and Zygarde.
While I don't usually dislike the rest, I don't care much either... Those just seem too few?

And it's odd, because I really like the type conceptually and how it is distinct from Rock. It's not so much about the material (that'd be rock) as about the meaning of land and being land-bound. Surface and depths but never reaching the sky. It's a more abstract and interesting idea than it seems at first sight.

The thing that makes me most curious is that Pokémon is not even the only place I've seen that makes this distinction either, especifically with things like sand and soil being considered different than rocks and caves. But I don't know what real elemental interpretation does this come from at all.

Also in terms of gameplay it's one of the best done types. It's pretty good while still feeling balanced. Staple interactions and attacks that are some of the most defined strategies of the game after the starter triangle.

Last edited:
I thought I liked Ground types more, but checking it seems not as much?
I love the Sandslash and Marowak lines, Golem, Rhydon's line, Onix/Steelix (<3), Vibrava/Flygon, Torterra, Golett/Golurk, and Zygarde.
While I don't usually dislike the rest, I don't care much either... Those just seem too few?

And it's odd, because I really like the type conceptually and how it is distinct from Rock. It's not so much about the material (that'd be rock) as about the meaning of land and being land-bound. Surface and depths but never reaching the sky. It's a more abstract and interesting idea than it seems at first sight.

The thing that makes me most curious is that Pokémon is not even the only place I've seen that makes this distinction either, especifically with things like sand and soil being considered different than rocks and caves. But I don't know what real elemental interpretation does this come from at all.

Also in terms of gameplay it's one of the best done types. It's pretty good while still feeling balanced. Staple interactions and attacks that are some of the most defined strategies of the game after the starter triangle.

One of the best comments I never hand, and really really glad to hear you opinion, and so pretty this opinion. I do agree with everything you said my best friend. My best pokemons for ground are Marowak lines, Golem, Rhydon's line, Vibrava/Flygon, Torterra, Golett/Golurk, nidoqueen so much, the donkey in XY, krokodile,

But I do love the others expect drillbur, and its evolution form. I hate them more than anything. but the other are lkely to me. but the best are in up with few more, but I don't remember.

Ground is different than rock is good idea, even if I see also that Rock can be ground but you do have a point when you said about how being different from Rock have a lot of good of interesting advantages. I hate when they said the fly much stronger than the ground because it have an advantage with the air; because also the ground have a lot of hig level defese so that not a lot of problem to me.

The best comment is this: "Also in terms of gameplay it's one of the best done types. It's pretty good while still feeling balanced. Staple interactions and attacks that are some of the most defined strategies of the game after the starter triangle."; and that's because really it is really been written in a good way, and really a well done type.

I like the Ground type, and it's unique in being the only weakness of Electric types. (That should be fixed tho) I like to pair a Ground type with Earthquake (Torterra, for instance) with a Flying or levitating partner in double battles. Earthquake not only misses the ally in that case, but also hits Rock and Electric well to counter some of Flying's weaknesses. :3

I like the Ground type, and it's unique in being the only weakness of Electric types. (That should be fixed tho) I like to pair a Ground type with Earthquake (Torterra, for instance) with a Flying or levitating partner in double battles. Earthquake not only misses the ally in that case, but also hits Rock and Electric well to counter some of Flying's weaknesses. :3

Firstly sorry for late in answering, very beautiful avatar Megapod, and really earthquake is one of the main attacks in my opinion as also ground type also. . Earthquake not only misses the ally in that case, but also hits Rock and Electric well to counter some of Flying's weaknesses

Well, I have mixed feelings about this type.
I never liked to see Giovanni as the Ground-type expert in Gen. I, somehow it feels off to see a Nidoqueen, Nidoking, Ryhorn and Kangaskan together in his team(s). Secondly, the only Ground-type that I used for Gen. I was Dugtrio to beat Lt. Surge and I don't even remember using one in Gen. II.
In Gen. III I liked Flygon and Claydoll but I only trained the first out of curiosity for the new Pkmn and I don't remember having it as part of my main six before or after the E4. As for LeafGreen, I think I used my Ivysaur to beat Lt. Surge since back then I thought that Magnemite couldn't be it by Ground attacks due to its sprite showing it hovering (oh, the naivety)
Sinnoh was where things changed! Torterra is part Ground and I love it! I also like Hippowdon but never had the willingness to train one and I liked Bertha but she doesn't have a strong presence in the game so It's a shame...her rooster didn't helped cement her a great Ground-type expert.
In Isshu I used a Krookodile and I hated Clay and that's it.
With the introduction of Alolan Marowak and Sandslash family, I started to appreciate more the original Marowak and Sandslash family.

I like a rather sizable amount of Ground types--Rhydon, Nidoqueen, Nidoking, Marowak, Sandslash, Swampert, Flygon, Craydol, Camperupt, Torterra, Garchomp, Hippowdon, Semistoad, Excadrill, Krookodile, Golurk, Zygarde-50%, Sandaconda, etc.--because I like their more tough and monstrous designs. While I think the difference between Rock and Ground is fairly small, and I'd probably even merge the two if I could, I definitely notice a difference in some designs between Rock and Ground: there are more rugged and "rockier" Rock types compared to Ground types, which tend to be "smoother," in my opinion. See Magcargo, Aggron, and Drednaw vs Marowak, Hippowdon, and Sandaconda, for example. That being said, there are many Rock types that could pass for the other typing, such as Tyranitar, though oddly enough I can't say the same for the Ground types. Gameplay wise, I enjoy the fact that they have powerful STABs moves in both the physical and specials departments, and typing wise are pretty solid all around. Generally, my only issue is their tendency to be slow, but that typically isn't much of a problem.

That being said, overall I'm more neutral, if not slightly warm, on the Ground type. I enjoy its Pokémon and the typing benefits, but overall it doesn't strike me as an interesting type unlike, say, Psychic or Dragon. If I could give it a rating, I'd say 7.7/10.

It's highly redundant since most Ground types could easily fit in the Rock type category. I like some Ground types like Flygon, Garchomp and Rhydon but they're all dual types and I mostly like them because of their other type not because they're part Ground.

I like the ground-type. I think that it's a really good type with good Pokemon and some solid moves. Ground-type Pokemon tend to be strong and bulky, which is something I like. Earthquake is one of my favorite Pokemon moves because it's really powerful.

Some of my favorite ground-type Pokemon are Nidoking, Garchomp, Krookodile and Gliscor. Nidoking is one of my favorite Pokemon of all time.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom