• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

"Wow, I was an IDIOT!" moments

I wanted a shiny Lucario, so I placed a male Buneary and a female Riolu in the Day Care.

It was only after 15 minutes of biking around that I realized Riolu was a baby pokemon and cannot breed. Whoops.

I took out a bunch of Scatterbugs that had been sitting in my Pokemon Bank for a while, and evolved them to see what patterns they were. I ended up having a lot of modern patterns, which I thought was kind of weird. After I evolved them all, I found out why.

It was because most of them were mine.

My first game was Gold, when I was 10. I started with Totodile, got to Mr. Pokemon's house, got the Pokedex, skipped through the phone call then tried to carry on to Violet City. Couldn't. Tried training up a bit then tried again. Still couldn't. Backtracked, battled my rival, tried to carry on again, I still couldn't. I then thought "Maybe if I evolve Totodile, they'll let me through?" I had a Croconaw, tried again, still couldn't get through. Eventually made my way back to the lab where I had a discussion with Elm about my rival, and then I named him ??? because the game told me that was his name. THEN I could get through to Violet City.

I had a Croconaw before I had even got to the first Gym. Yeah, my team was unbalanced all through the game as a result.

Playing Black or something a year or 2 ago, completely brain-farted on EV's, Vitamins, whole shebang. Just used a bunch of every vitamin until I couldn't use em anymore. Brought me back to my beginning days when I did the same because I didn't even know about EV's.
Using an Arcanine once, I knew it had 31 IV in attack, so I made it completely physical focused, used it for months before remember actual base stats kind of matter too. To this day I don't remember Arcy's base stats, and I have no idea if i was wasting him or being stupidly clever.

I quit my first game (Diamond) after the first Gym badge 'cause I got to Ravaged Path and couldn't continue. Came back to the same Diamond after playing some of Ruby and being like, "Oh, so I needed something called 'Rock Smash' to get through?"

I quit my first game (Diamond) after the first Gym badge 'cause I got to Ravaged Path and couldn't continue. Came back to the same Diamond after playing some of Ruby and being like, "Oh, so I needed something called 'Rock Smash' to get through?"

Awww haha. :D This was awesome!

Something similiar happened to me when I restarted my old good SoulSilver and had gotten used to that the newer games didn't require so much using HM's to move around. So, I partly forgot to pick up Rock Smash from the man somewhere next to Violet City - I had it in mind but I think I was too hasty progressing the game so nope, I forgot.
And when I first needed the HM (further in game), I was somewhere with half-fainted Pokemon trying to auto-pilot myself out of some damn cavern.

In Pokemon Shuffle, the one time I actually have a jewel when it asks if I want to spend one for an extra five turns, I hit yes by accident.

This is one I just remembered. Back when I was first playing Diamond, I caught a Chingling. Since I knew that Chimecho were very rare, I did everything in my power to try to evolve it. I must've spent days trying to evolve it, maximizing its friendship rating, as I knew that was how it evolved. No dice. Only when, by sheer chance, I was playing after 8 PM, it evolved! I was like "Finally! But why now all of a sudden?" I finally had the brains to look up Chingling on the wiki and realized that it only evolves AT NIGHT! *facepalm* You'd think that, given the fact I knew it evolved via friendship, I would've figured out that out sooner. By the time the little bell had evolved, it was nearing Lv 50, because I didn't have the brains to look up Chingling PRIOR to trying to evolve it. *sigh* That was the last time I didn't research the Mon I was raising before trying to raise it.

So tried to progress through my X Wonderlocke to have my three mons lagging behind to catch up. Things weren't going as I hoped; was struggling to find good spots, so I decided to leave the game...

...only to realize I forgot to save after Amaura evolved.

Ah, let's see...

-Getting scared of Pokerus and turning off my DS
-Fainting Mewtwo then saving
-Not saving before any E4 battles
-Thinking that 'anytime soon I will find a shiny' and encountering what must have been 100s of wild Pokemon to find one
-Selling Black 2 with a level 93 Heatmor on it and a team full of level 70+ legends

After going through hours of frustratingly leveling up a Wurmple to level 30, cancelling evolutions every single time it leveled up...

... I realized that all I needed to do was give it an Everstone.

(mind, the reason I was trying to level up a Wurmple that much was because there was a decent gts offer that I saw)

While I was playing X, I defeated both Valerie and Olympia and got their gym badges, late one night. Soon after I decided to stop playing, but unfortunately I forgot to save my game. Then I had to start all over and get their gym badges again.

I also entered the Elite Four (still in X) by accident, and had to defeat them again (already did it once). My Pokemon were all healthy, so I defeated them again though it was rather easy to begin with.

My first ever moment on Pokemon when I was nine. Oh, Pokemon Pearl. The memories of my ignorance.
"Mum, I can't get out of my bedroom."

And on the same game, giving both me and my rival a name in capitals.
BEN [Barry/Jun/Pearl]: "I'm fining you 1 million PokeDollars if you're late!"

Last edited:
When I first started EV training, I thought EV training was just giving your Pokemon 10 vitamins for each stat then you're done. Turns out that screws up the Pokemon and looking back, I wasted lots of money. Another was back then when I had my first Pokemon game, Crystal, I used to think that Ember was the best move since it OHKO'd or 2HKO'd everything on the first route, including the Geodude.

Defeating instead of capturing Kyogre in Sapphire.

•Didn't know what EV/IV's were
•Used rare candies to level up to 100, expecting to destroy everything
•Taught my starter HM's
•Put a Buizel and Bunery in Daycare for leveling, then found an egg. Was expecting a weird, morphed Buizel/Bunery creature to hatch from it

That's all I can remember!

I was just trying to catch an absol in alpha sapphire; I had it down to 1 health and paralyzed but I had to bring out my swampert to try and tank its attacks in the event of a capture failure. The first thing I did after sending my swampert out was making her use power up punch on the absol. -_-

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom