• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

News A new feature I'm super excited about

GrumpyShaymin

Not an Anime Artist
Reaction score
Hey so I'm sorry to start yet ANOTHER News thread but a new USUM trailer just dropped and NOBODY is talking about it and I'm not sure why. Anyway, we now have confirmation that Mantine appears as a Ride Pokemon and that there is an actual surfing feature that allows you to surf between islands in its own kind of mini-game. Go check out the trailer and tell me what you think. I'm super excited!

I saw Mantine surfing, and was like "where's my credit card?"
I then heard the music and was like "WHY HAVE I EXCEDED THE LIMIT ON MY CREDIT CARD"
But it is all okay, because pre-orders aren't open in the e-shop.
plus I don't have the money right now, luckily I can save up to November still.

I saw Mantine surfing, and was like "where's my credit card?"
I then heard the music and was like "WHY HAVE I EXCEDED THE LIMIT ON MY CREDIT CARD"
But it is all okay, because pre-orders aren't open in the e-shop.
plus I don't have the money right now, luckily I can save up to November still.

Seriously, if I wasn't sold on USUM before, I am now just because of Mantine surfing.

I'm pretty impressed. Didn't think that a Mantine could be that agile and fluid in the air.
It's part Flying-type, so it doesn't surprise me all that much. To be fair though, it can be easy to forget that.

It's part Flying-type, so it doesn't surprise me all that much. To be fair though, it can be easy to forget that.
Oh, I'm well aware of its dual typing. However, Mantine has primarily been shown to dwell in the ocean, with its water type characteristics often overshadowing its flying type ones. It can't even learn Fly.

However, after revisiting its Pokedex entries, all that maneuverability makes sense.

It's too early to judge, but Mantine Surf's definitely my favourite new feature so far. That minigame seems much more fan than the photo club imo.

I hope this is similar to Soar from ORAS.
There's a pod of Wailord on the new map's ocean, so it definitely looks like a variation of Soar. Maybe we'll also encounter Tentacruel, Sharpedo, Bruxish, etc through the new PokéRide.

I was pretty excited to see this feature because seriously? All that water and almost zero activities to do in the sea makes no sense.

And here I'm hoping for a Diving activity :3

GameXplain recently made a very observant point. What if we can only play the minigame between islands and not actually explore? The wave in the trailer looked huge, maybe just big enough to stretch from island to island?

GameXplain recently made a very observant point. What if we can only play the minigame between islands and not actually explore? The wave in the trailer looked huge, maybe just big enough to stretch from island to island?

From the way it's shown, it does look like the minigame is the only thing you can do, it's your way between the islands. It never even occured to me you'd be able to explore too, I very much doubt it really. It would require you to quit and start up the minigame again continually to explore inbetween, don't think that would work.

It seems disappointing at first glance, but there are many Tentacool shown and also the map doesn't show any resting spots, so maybe it's for the best.

From the way it's shown, it does look like the minigame is the only thing you can do, it's your way between the islands. It never even occured to me you'd be able to explore too, I very much doubt it really. It would require you to quit and start up the minigame again continually to explore inbetween, don't think that would work.

It seems disappointing at first glance, but there are many Tentacool shown and also the map doesn't show any resting spots, so maybe it's for the best.

That is a very real possibility. I assume that the implication is that we can only travel to an Island near the Island we are on. However I can also see Game Freak having
routes from every Island to every Island. If that's the case let's see how many routes this can give us assuming each to and from each Island (plus Aether Paradise) is the same :
  1. Melemele <--> Akala
  2. Melemele <--> Ula'ula
  3. Melemele <--> Poni
  4. Melemele <--> Aether Paradise
  5. Akala <--> Ula'ula
  6. Akala <--> Poni
  7. Akala <--> Aether Paradise
  8. Ula'ula <--> Poni
  9. Ula'ula <--> Aether Paradise

That alone gives us nine different courses. If we were to say each Island has different routes to from each island, the course selection would be more like this:
  1. Melemele <--> Akala
  2. Melemele <--> Ula'ula
  3. Melemele <--> Poni
  4. Melemele <--> Aether Paradise
  5. Akala <--> Melemele
  6. Akala <--> Ula'ula
  7. Akala <--> Poni
  8. Akala <--> Aether Paradise
  9. Ula'ula <--> Melemele
  10. Ula'ula <--> Akala
  11. Ula'ula <--> Poni
  12. Ula'ula <--> Aether Paradise
  13. Poni <--> Melemele
  14. Poni <--> Akala
  15. Poni <--> Ula'ula
  16. Poni <--> Aether Paradise
  17. Aether Paradise <--> Melemele
  18. Aether Paradise <--> Akala
  19. Aether Paradise <--> Ula'ula
  20. Aether Paradise <--> Poni

From that logic, we get a whopping 20 courses to choose from! Granted I think the former list is more likely, but we can always dream! Of course, none of this accounts for the possibility that, in order to make up for the fact we can only travel between Islands next to each other, we could instead unlock more courses that are just there for fun rather than just a cool way to travel.

@Kallyle I don't see a reason to believe there will be that many courses. It could be totally possible that there are only courses between each main island.

From left to right:
Poni - Melemele
Melemele - Akala
Akala - Ula Ula

For a total of 3 courses. Perhaps one or two more if you think that Aether Paradise will be connected - though it may not be.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom