• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

A Question about the World Coronation and Ranks

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Are there specific places where these battles take place or does it apply to any battle as long as the person is a higher rank?
Like, could you raise your rank while battleing a random trainer (who is also in the league) in the middle of a forest or does it have to be an official area?

As far as the anime portrays the concept, you get a notification if someone in the competition is near you wherever you are, and you can request a battle or accept the request. Then you are good to go once the referee Rotom appears, so that the battle can be recognized as "official". And it seems like the referee Rotom has no issue appearing anywhere at all. Be it in a building or a road for that matter. So unless proven otherwise, you could have an official battle in a forest if there is a trainer officially in this competition near you.

The Pokémon World Championships seemingly has multiple Rotom Drones in every single city in the world considering there are thousands of competitors all around the world and hundreds sign up every single day.

The entire Pokémon World is under surveillance at all times. The conspiracy theories about Rotom taking over the world via machines were right and the big villain arc will be Ash vs. his new Rotom overlords.

Last edited:
Are there specific places where these battles take place or does it apply to any battle as long as the person is a higher rank?
Like, could you raise your rank while battleing a random trainer (who is also in the league) in the middle of a forest or does it have to be an official area?

I think the rank system is based on who battled who and positions by regional leagues and last world coronation battles. Do we know if they are every year or every 4 or 5 years???

They also possess televisions and transmit subliminal messages when people watch big battles.
Soon they will secretly masquerade as humans themselves... and then there will be Rotom trainers willing to battle other Rotom trainers in a massive Rotom World Championship tournament run by Rotom himself with Rotom Drones keeping a watchful eye on the Rotoms.

I think the rank system is based on who battled who and positions by regional leagues and last world coronation battles. Do we know if they are every year or every 4 or 5 years???

Given that last season ended with the Leon v Lance fight, I'd say every year for....whatever time warp Ash is currently in.

(Seriously.....normally Ash's lack of aging/time moving is more a joke fodder, but this actually makes it bizarre. Was last season the first season?)

The battles can be anywhere and with any competitor, though I do believe there are some EXP levels. For example if Goh joined the WCS Ash beating him (Normal to Super) would not be a huge boost in rank for him. At some point it wouldn't be worth grinding on Goh to raise his rank.

Presumably beating a higher ranked player is a REAL boost.

That honestly makes sense that beating a higher ranked person would be a massive boost.

we dont know how ranks are gained in the first place, how many battles and so on... what was Ash rank before his first battle?
after winning the Alola League? and the Kalos second place?

Past achievements don't matter. If you're not in the Top 8, you start out fresh and at the bottom and have to normalize your rank on the way up.
but thats our debating, they would need to explain everything in the anime from the start... do we have videos and pics about it all?

Past achievements don't matter. If you're not in the Top 8, you start out fresh and at the bottom and have to normalize your rank on the way up.

no? then how was the rank matched from the start? there needs to be a system that ranks them by official amount of won battles with points and via ranks? Bc I don't think Bea gets Ash rank and he hers if he wins... Maybe he gets her rank and she falls one down from her past or something like that?

I don't think there's been confirmation either way but, but I believe that your rank never gets reset. At the end of the season, if you were rank 500, you would still be rank 500 at the start of the next season. In the time before the next tournament, you could either lower or raise in rank depending on your performance. You rank is supposed to denote how strong you are, so if a really strong trainer got lowered back to 10,000+, they would quickly get back up to where they were anyway so it would be kind of pointless.

I don't think there's been confirmation either way but, but I believe that your rank never gets reset. At the end of the season, if you were rank 500, you would still be rank 500 at the start of the next season. In the time before the next tournament, you could either lower or raise in rank depending on your performance. You rank is supposed to denote how strong you are, so if a really strong trainer got lowered back to 10,000+, they would quickly get back up to where they were anyway so it would be kind of pointless.
That does make sense. Being a strong trainer would certainly help you raise your rank back up.

not necessary if it a elimination system before official finish battles... or the rank changes always???

And the bigger the gap, the higher the rank raised if the victor was ranked lower.

maybe amount of win and lost battles and the ranks of those you fought with???

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom