• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

about the Porygon episode

Personally, I thought Mezase Master was joking about the whole "maybe they'll air the Porygon episode" thing.

At least, that's how it seemed to me.

And I just played along with it, since I liked the idea so much. ^_^

Lisa if you're saying that the dub lost continuity when the voices changed than really you could complain about Eric Stuart voicing James for the majority of 4kids' run of the show since Ted Lewis voiced him for the first 9 episodes, or to a greater extent Maddie for voicing Meowth. She didn't start doing his voice until episode 32, and also when they dubbed Beauty and the Beach they used Maddie even though Nathan Price voiced him for 2-31.

Well, yeah, I guess you're right about that. ^^;

But I was just saying what I thought about it, that's all.... (for the record, neither the switch of James' voice nor the switch of Meowth's voice affected me during season one - though I might be biased about this, given that I prefer Eric and Maddie anyway)

Anyway, I'm sorry for causing trouble. =(

You guys can go back to discussing Porygon now, and how shafted its evolutions are gonna be (unless they make a D/P episode about Porygon).

Last edited:
Personally, I thought Mezase Master was joking about the whole "maybe they'll air the Porygon episode" thing.
I wasn't joking, nor was I saying they might. I was saying I wish they would.

Also, you know how they have those reunions of cast and stuff on old sitcoms and such? Well in this day and age there are so many animated shows, I see no problem in them doing that. Sure the episode might not be very significant (even if it is my favorite) to the overall plot, but it would be the first time airing since 1997... I'd say that's pretty groundbreaking.

Ah, I see what you mean now.

And you are exactly right about that!

It would be pretty amazing if they had a reunion for the Pokemon dub! It would actually be the 11th (what year is this?) anniversary of the dub! ^_^

Using the original VAs for this would be very fitting as well. Hypothetically speaking, if they would have this reunion and air the Porygon episode - for me, this would be what the original Mastermind special should have been like.

Huh?

Airing an old Kanto episode that's banned by the Goverment = 11th (??) anniversary special?

That makes no sense.

It's probably too early for a reunion, but I think once it's been ten years since the original cast was replaced (2016?) they could do it and call it a reunion without it seeming too soon.

I don't know if I can say this better than others have already, but I'll try. Basically, the purpose of the franchise is to move forward, not to brng back what was brushed aside more than a decade ago. Especially when it's a painful reminder of what happened. Especially to those who experienced the incident in question first hand. The fact that some fans (and I'm one of them BTW) downloaded the Porygon episode and watch without experiencing seizures, is not going to convince the powers that be in Japan, America, or anywhere else in the world to bring this episode back into the market.

But you know what? That's ok. I just think God Pokemon survived Electric Soldier Porygon and aired Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden 15 episodes later, or none of us would be posting here today.

Habunake, you're being quite negative.

But still, there's no need to put people's hopes and dreams down (regardless of how impossible things may seem). That's why I always try to be optimistic. ^^

It's probably too early for a reunion, but I think once it's been ten years since the original cast was replaced (2016?) they could do it and call it a reunion without it seeming too soon.
Yeah, that makes sense to me.

And both, fans of the original cast and fans in the older audicence in general would certainly appreciate this. ^^

Of course, it's just a dream right now and doesn't have much of a chance to actually happen, but I really like the idea. XD

But you know what? That's ok. I just think God Pokemon survived Electric Soldier Porygon and aired Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden 15 episodes later, or none of us would be posting here today.
Wow, you're right, mogoldmember! O_O

I never thought of that before!

And you know what, this makes you appreciate the anime (both the Japanese version and the dub) and the online Pokemon community even more. :)

Last edited:
I can sorta understand Porygon, barely though, but to not even give Porygon2 and Porygon-Z a chance is sad. I want to see the computer system-duck-thing gone slightly crazy in action, just don't have Pikachu shock it or whatever happened back then happen again.

Sorry to be naive, but how did Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden save Pokemon?

I think he's refering to how our Forum got it's name. We wouldn't be Bulbagarden if not for that episode.

Huh?

Airing an old Kanto episode that's banned by the Goverment = 11th (??) anniversary special?

That makes no sense.

It never made sense for Kids WB to Air "Beauty and the Beach" during the Orange Islands, either, and that never stopped them from doing it. It also never made sense for Japan OR America to air the Jynx episode OR the "Snow Way out" episode, but they still did it anyways. Princess Vs. Princess also didn't make sense to be aired in either country (maybe it was America's mistake for airing it in the wrong slot, but I also heard that that episode ALSO met a similar issue in Japan.), they still aired it anyways.

Also, I have a bit of a question about The Porygon episode's reason for being banned worldwide, and the Tentacool/Tentacruel episode's reason for being banned. See, it can't be removed from a ban because it will bring up painful memories, right? well, how is it that the Porygon episode cannot be reaired because of these issues, and yet it's perfectly all right to reair the Tentacool/Tentacruel episode (Or any episode banned because of this reason [regardless of whether they were native shows or imports]) after 9/11?

I mean, it really doesn't make any sense to me. I mean, they won't allow the Porygon episode to air, and yet, with episodes like "Homer goes to NYC", "Tentacool and Tentacruel", and any episodes from ANY series that were banned because of 9/11 (Which is arguably FAR WORSE in my opinion since not only did many people get hospitalized when rescued from the wrecks, many others ALSO died as a result, something we never really got from the Porygon episode.), they reair them after 5 or so years as if nothing happened?

I never really understood this. If it's terrible to reair the Porygon episode because of bringing back bad memories, why is it all right to reair episodes that would bring back bad memories of the events of 9/11?

Can somebody please answer this question?

Because the Porygon episode was directly responsible for the seizures. Putting a ban on it makes a whole lot more sense than putting a complete ban on the portrayal of collapsing skyscrapers in entertainment media.

Beauty and the Beach isn't banned worldwide and it was aired only one or two years after it should of aired, not 11 years.

And, don't forget neither 4Kids nor PUSA didn't bother to show us how Ash gets his herd of Tauros. So, why they should bother with this one episode that caused so many troubles and is nothing but ordinary filler?

Beauty and the Beach isn't banned worldwide and it was aired only one or two years after it should of aired, not 11 years.

It's not banned (neither is the Miniryu episode), but it's not included in the season packs 4Kids distributes, which means that if your country either shows the 4Kids dub or a dub of it, you won't be seeing that episode any time soon. 4Kids may have dubbed it as a "special episode", but since it's not part of a season, it's never aired or distributed anywhere.

Im gleaning something from this thread that i was'nt aware of before, and i was wondering if i was correct. I already knew the porygon episode in season one was banned, but is any appearance by Porygon (and evolutions) now banned in any future episode? If so, i think thats a little ridiculous.

There was a Porygon in the World of Pokémon features for some of the movies... but it's never appeared again in the series and neither has its evolutions so far...

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom