• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

American Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

At this point, I'm wondering if the incompetence is deliberate in order to get more donations from his gullible supporters.

Edit: Also, this:

View: https://twitter.com/TrumpWarRoom/status/1334347919219175424?s=20

Lin Wood is one of Trump's lawyers. You can't make this stuff up.
in practice, they remain stranded in the 90s, fretting about the deficit and desperately trying to triangulate on every issue.
That's (mostly) not true. This can only make sense if you completely ignore social policy, and even then I'd still find it a reach.

Last edited:
At this point, I'm wondering if the incompetence is deliberate in order to get more donations from his gullible supporters.

Pretty much looking like it. Remember Trump has a lot of debts, and all that money is going straight into his pocket.

Lin Wood is one of Trump's lawyers. You can't make this stuff up.

You should take stuff coming from @TrumpWarRoom with a grain of salt. Republicans calling other Republicans RINO's and "secret Dem supporters" is extremely common. Trump's photos with the Clintons will be spread widely around by the GOP too once he loses his following. In the world of Republicans, there is no bigger insult than to be called a Democrat.

Trump put out this 46 minute video touting his false voter fraud conspiracies and arguing that he won the election, despite what the electoral vote and popular vote says. Its another moment that truly makes you want to punch him in the face. To sum it up, its basically him going "I was winning by a lot before midnight, but then I wasn't when they counted the illegal votes! Its corrupt." No. No it isn't you racist orange clown. Mail in/absentee ballots are perfectly legal, and in case you forgot, half of the states that flipped blue couldn't count absentee/mail ins until later.

Zero. The Republican Party is the party of Trump now. Genie's not going back into the bottle. A more likely scenario, one that I would prefer to happen, is that moderate Republicans defect to the Democrats, creating a center-right party, and progressives breaking off to form a center-left party, with the Republicans as a right-wing rump. Finally have something approaching the normal ideological divide of most countries instead of this farce we have now where we have to pretend that Democrats are on the left.
That does sound like a more likely scenario.

Though word of caution: in Canada this is what we essentially have (our center-left is Liberal Party and our actual-left is NDP), though the NDP hardly ever wins federal elections and our elections usually still end up being Liberals vs Conservatives. So if that does happen in the US, don't automatically think the actual-left party is guaranteed to win. You'll still have to fight for it.

Though word of caution: in Canada this is what we essentially have (our center-left is Liberal Party and our actual-left is NDP), though the NDP hardly ever wins federal elections and our elections usually still end up being Liberals vs Conservatives. So if that does happen in the US, don't automatically think the actual-left party is guaranteed to win. You'll still have to fight for it.
I’m very skeptical of a left-wing party’s viability in the US. The last 2 election cycles (2018 & 2020) really exposed the American left’s lack of political muscle. There’s just no appetite among the general electorate for such a party right now.

Edit: I know that sounds really weird coming from me given that I said practically the exact opposite early on in this thread. Gaining more life experience will do that to you.

Late reminder #1 to remind those you know who are residents of Georgia (US). Including those who will be 18 y.o. by 2021-Jan-05.

-> Still on topic of Senate, but focused on the present.
BLUF: For Georgia runoff elections by Jan 05: The deadline to register to vote for the runoff is December 7.
_____

Since Alaska is almost certainly GOP, and North Carolina is very likely to be red as well,
the two runoffs in Georgia are critical in determining Senate composition.

If you’re a Georgia resident and you’re going to be 18 by January 05, you should be able to register and then vote. “You must be at least 17 ½ to register and 18 to vote.”
View attachment 137594

To note from others (direct quotes and paraphrases):
_____

“Candidates in the runoff will face another election on January 5, 2021. Voters can request and absentee ballot starting November 18. The deadline to register to vote for the runoff is December 7. Early voting for the runoff will begin on December 14, 2020.”

Georgia Senate race goes to runoff

It looks like you can request the runoff absentee as soon as right now.
_____

https://ballotrequest.sos.ga.gov/
Easy link to apply for absentee for runoffs.

If you have to change your address you probably need to do that on your My Georgia Voter Page first
My Voter Page

View: https://twitter.com/JoeNBC/status/1335213969854914560?s=19

Something pretty disturbing. Only 25 Republicans surveyed acknowledge that Joe Biden is the president-elect of the United States. 2 insist that Trump won(Which he did not) and 222 won't say. This survey covered all Republicans in both the House and Senate.

View: https://twitter.com/JoeNBC/status/1335213969854914560?s=19

Something pretty disturbing. Only 25 Republicans surveyed acknowledge that Joe Biden is the president-elect of the United States. 2 insist that Trump won(Which he did not) and 222 won't say. This survey covered all Republicans in both the House and Senate.

JFC. All the states have certified Biden's win at this point. Its over. The result is not going to change. These people are so mad with power they cannot think rationally.

The overwhelming majority of Republicans in Congress don’t expect Trump’s election theft to succeed, but they would be perfectly happy if it did.

The other way to look at it is as the system doing what it's supposed to do. Separation of powers means it doesn't matter how many Republicans bury their heads in the sand, the voters are having it their own way - as has been amply and amusing demonstrated over the last couple of weeks.

Trump put out this 46 minute video touting his false voter fraud conspiracies and arguing that he won the election, despite what the electoral vote and popular vote says. Its another moment that truly makes you want to punch him in the face. To sum it up, its basically him going "I was winning by a lot before midnight, but then I wasn't when they counted the illegal votes! Its corrupt." No. No it isn't you racist orange clown. Mail in/absentee ballots are perfectly legal, and in case you forgot, half of the states that flipped blue couldn't count absentee/mail ins until later.
It's more sad that people actually believe his lies and blatant falsehoods.

The other way to look at it is as the system doing what it's supposed to do. Separation of powers means it doesn't matter how many Republicans bury their heads in the sand, the voters are having it their own way - as has been amply and amusing demonstrated over the last couple of weeks.

(may delete this comment) probably won't get to it, but would respond to this if i have time/mental bandwidth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom