• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime & Manga General Discussion

I actually would not be too surprised if they keep the TRio around in the new show as a sort of safety net (as far as I've read they've only specificed Ash and Pikachu's adventure is closing).

tbh... it makes no sense to have the TRio without Ash though. That would just feel wrong.

Ash just became the strongest known trainer in the world and it was Pikachu that dealt the finishing blow, so he'd be even more valuable in the TRio's eyes now. The new series might have its own wacky villains, but I can't see Jessie, James and Meowth chasing after who's more than likely a brand new trainer.

Over the years TRio had plans and did schemes not including Ash after they started to follow him around (although Ash did stumble into their plot a lot of times).

Like when they stole a giant vacuum cleaner to rob the Cerulean Gym, when they started their beauty salon, Mt. Moon, stealing the perfume formula from the Celedon Gym, winning a P1 Grand Prix with a stolen Hitmonlee, breaking into a pokémon daycare, stealing pokémon in the digital transport system with the help of a stolen Porygon, selling fake evolution stones, stealing an antique Orange League trophy, having a contract to remove all the Electrode from a city in the Orange Islands, operating a fake trading machine and replacing the pokéballs with ampty ones, operating a fake gym, their whole arc in BW, stealing electricity for Morpeko,...

It wouldn't be out of character for them to turn up in the new episodes with a scheme not focused on Ash and Pikachu. However, it would be out of character if they are the main antagonists of the new heroes. (Unless we see Giovanni ordering them to do this and to stop their focus on Ash and his Pikachu.) But them turning up sporadically, like Butch and Cassidy did from Kanto through Sinnoh, this would not be out of character and even be a nice nod/link to the former series.

Last edited:
1. I think all of us had that time we prefered Team Rocket to rest and stick a little less to the show. But now Ash is out. There was not any better timing for the writer to cut out the trio.
2. I can only imagine them in the background trying to find Pikachu. Lots of offscreen struggle, maybe even on screen if we're lucky for a special or a movie including Ash and the trio in the future (...other than the 11 special episodes). Loop won't break.

I think it's quite likely they may have reached the end of Ash vs Leon.

Looks like they're getting close to the end, at least the end of Journeys before the 11 episode special.

The only thing I agree with the post is that a more Galar-focused series would have had less character returns, but everything else is assumption over assumption. We don't know how a Galar series would have been, but It's unlikely that Ash would have been resetted again as he wasn't in XY and SM. We also don't know yet if Ash's goodbye is what led to Journeys being worldwide, and even if that's the case it left a very sour impression of all the post-Kanto regions, with tons of missed opportunities for continuity (and Galar showcase) specially among the first season.

Their point is that Journeys is better than a Sword and Shield series in spite of the fact that the latter doesn't exist?

Journeys having the world tour format did make it easier for them to have more returning characters. They didn't have to make up a reason for the SM cast to end up in Galar for example when Ash traveling around the world made it more flexible. But beyond that, I don't think that their argument have much merit to them. While it wouldn't be impossible, it seems pretty unlikely that a traditional Galar series would have resulted in Ash getting another reset. They didn't have to do that in either XY or SM and I still think that fans exaggerate how much regression BW Ash had too.

I also still have major doubts about Ash's departure being planned from the start of the series and even if it was, that still wouldn't be good in my opinion just because of how poorly Ash's team and storyline was handled in Journeys. Considering how poorly Journeys handled the world tour concept, it's hard for me to see it as the closest to the most perfect Pokemon game we can ever imagine. Although, I sincerely don't care about the National Dex either. An all star concept is all well and good, but it doesn't really matter if it isn't executed well.

Being stuck in one region doesn't mean we'd have zero character returns either. It would most likely be far less than what we got in Journeys, but aside from XY, every series after the first one has had characters returning for an episode or two, so I don't know why they think that a series set in Galar would mean that we wouldn't get any returning characters. I can't say that a Galar series would have been better since we don't know what it could have been like, but I don't think it would have been as bad as they try to make it out to be.

Reddit is a place where basically anyone can express their opinions. Stuff you read there should be taken with a grain of salt.
Lmao ya, I was just curious to see what your guys' thoughts on the points this post made. Admittedly when I first read the post I really didn't agree with it either, my main problem with it is that it takes the criticism of "Galar has minimal representation" and acts as if anipoke fans are saying "We want Galar anime". When people want more Galar representation, they don't mean they specifically want a Galar anime, they just want to see more of Galar. There is literally one easy solution to this problem, they could have simply made more episodes where Ash visits Galar and battles some of the gym leaders for the PWC, or meet some of the SwSh rivals and other characters.

So ya, to me this post kind of misinterprets what the fandom's criticism actually is for Journeys barely having any Galar representation.

The lack of Galar representation could have been easily fixed by doing at least one of these two changes. Putting the Cerise Lab in Galar instead of Kanto would have helped so much. It would have made it a lot easier to showcase the then new Pokemon, locations and characters from Galar if they spent a good chuck of the series there instead of Kanto. It also would have been easier to showcase Dynamax since they would have been in places where Ash could have used that mechanic more often. Even if they didn't want to use Dynamax more often for budget reasons, they could have just showed off more of Galar locations without having to factor in where they had power spots.

The other change would have been to include more Galar Gym Leaders in the PWC. I'm really baffled that they didn't do this when it would have been an easy way to have Ash battle against Gym Leaders in a new way. He could still have a different goal, but still battle against new Gym Leaders. They could have had Ash battle them in virtually any order to give them more flexibility, as well as possibly hinting at Scarlet/Violet allowing players to do the same. Ideally, I wish that they could have used all Galar Gym Leaders between the first three classes. Maybe that might have been too much for a world wide tournament, but at the same time, I would have preferred actually seeing Galar characters battling with new Pokemon as opposed to random nobodies with older Pokemon that don't need the screentime in one-on-one battles. At the very least, they could have easily incorporated more than two Gym Leaders. Raihan made perfect sense, but Bea was just a bit random. It's hard to believe that none of the other Galar Gym Leaders wanted a chance to battle against Leon. Having a mix of old and new characters for Ash to battle in the PWC right from the start would have helped it a lot in my book. Maybe it wouldn't fix all of my problems with it, but it probably wouldn't be as much of poorly handled mess if they had gone all out from the start instead of waiting until halfway through the tournament to make it a bigger deal.

Not every Gym Leader needs to be in the PWC. They could've easily had Nessa in the Inteleon debut ep. And Kabu is originally from Hoenn. The plot of him visiting his home region and meeting Ash is such an easy concept. It's not as if the Galar Leaders have to be stuck in Galar. Bea's first two appearances were in Kanto and Johto!

It's hard to believe that none of the other Galar Gym Leaders wanted a chance to battle against Leon.
In theory, the other Galar Gym leaders could be participating in the PWC. The nature of the PWC can make them participate, but never fight against Ash.

Back
Top Bottom