• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Are Scarlet and Violet the worst Pokemon games?

Not the worst, but it felt underwhelming for me. It had some good moments of course, but I’ve enjoyed other games a lot more.

What I think is wrong is still keeping Pikachu’s electronic cry in the game. Junichi Masuda has said that how people hear Pikachu is Ikue Ohtani’s “Pika-pika”. It’s still kept in games prior to Arceus but if the cry is going to be permanent, in my opinion is that Pokémon Masters EX has to have that electronic cry as well as Pokémon GO.

Junichi Masuda said:
The cartoon has always been on the air for 16 years and is shown in 83 countries, but everywhere you go it’s always Ikue Ohtani’s voice for Pikachu. You can go all over the world and ask what Pikachu sounds like and it’ll always be the 'Pi-kaaa!' from the Anime. I figured that if that’s how people see it, then that’s how they probably like the game to be, too.

What’s also terrible is having TMs being single use again as well as an Elite Four in the games.

Really not sure why they went backwards with this
For what it's worth I do think infinite use TMs caused some balancing issues; they had to be really, really careful with giving out good ones because once the player has it every Pokémon with it on their learnset can have it at once. They couldn't do things like that early Mega Punch TM in R/B/Y that's a nice power boost for one Pokémon but doesn't power up your entire team by a large amount.
Although my solutuon would just have been to make them all buyable based off player's story progress rather than put them in a crafting system.

For what it's worth I do think infinite use TMs caused some balancing issues; they had to be really, really careful with giving out good ones because once the player has it every Pokémon with it on their learnset can have it at once. They couldn't do things like that early Mega Punch TM in R/B/Y that's a nice power boost for one Pokémon but doesn't power up your entire team by a large amount.
Although my solutuon would just have been to make them all buyable based off player's story progress rather than put them in a crafting system.
That's true. Probably why in some games like say, Black and White, you can't find certain powerful TM moves like Ice Beam till the post game. As for buying based on story progress though, to again mention Black and White, they kinda did that with Shopping Mall Nine and only being able to get powerful TM moves like Hyper Beam there.

I did notice that once TMs started to be infinite use they started eliminating some of the stronger moves from the list (although a few of the stronger moves were kept, but mainly iconic Gen 1 TMs like Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Hyper Beam, Earthquake, Psychic, etc.). In the jump from 4th to 5th gen we lost Giga Drain, Iron Tail, Steel Wing, Roost, Dragon Pulse, Stealth Rock, and Dark Pulse and their replacements generally weren't as good, that was a pretty significant drop off in usability. As for why they don't just save the best ones for later in the game, they might just think the ability to give those moves to anything is still too OP, even later in the game. Like, imagine what Earthquake spam could do to anything that isn't resistant/immune to Ground. So they brought back some of the older, stronger moves as TRs in SwSh and had you work to buy multiples of them, so now at least if you want your Earthquake spam, you have to work for it. And now they just said screw it, let's just make all TMs like TRs (because crafting? IDK for this).

I can't be the only one who is happy that "Pika-Pika" cry is gone, right?
Of course not. Many people probably are happy. But Masuda did say what he said about Pikachu’s 3D sound. But that was back in 2014 a little after XY got released. I know the Legends Areceus was set in the past so no voice acting existed back then but Scarlet and Violet are set in the present, so in my opinion at least Pikachu’s “Pika-pika” should be kept.

Of course not. Many people probably are happy. But Masuda did say what he said about Pikachu’s 3D sound. But that was back in 2014 a little after XY got released. I know the Legends Areceus was set in the past so no voice acting existed back then but Scarlet and Violet are set in the present, so in my opinion at least Pikachu’s “Pika-pika” should be kept.
I think that they removed it because if they kept including it they would have to pay royalties to Ikue Otani.

I bought Violet pokemon the day it came out, the more I progressed, the more pathetic it seemed to me, bad animations, lame story, fps drops (when the game goes between 15 and 20 fps most of the time HORRIBLE), the new pokemon designs are very crappy The world feels empty and the bugs make it unplayable most of the time I don't know, I feel that for me it's the worst game I've ever played, and I was really excited but the other day the game crashed when I was playing and i lose all the progress,
guys sorry but im tired..
what do you think,u liked this game?
Honestly, I didn't like the last pokemon games too much, Arceus was great at the start but the story and the map left little to be desired. The Sun/Moon games and sequels definitely didn't keep me engaged. However, despite my own heavy criticism of Scarlet and Violet including their "shitty looking graphics" from the trailers and the "crappy, new, unoriginal pokemon". I was proved wrong, the gameplay is intriguing and the whole process of catching Pokemon, sending your pokemon out on their own to fight and level them up instead of being forced into battle, finding ditto actually as another pokemon, being able to ride the legendary pokemon and grow its strength from the start. It reignites the passion I once held for Pokemon and what we used to play pokemon for. Catching all these pokemon, having gyms, being able to beat team star bases, doing these side missions with our legendary pokemon, doing other side missions by battling trainers and gaining rewards, having the raids again which give you a load of items, the open world and simplified map (in comparison to Arceus), the whole school system and our "rival" actually being more or a teacher/friend rather than someone who just pops up to battle you every time you find someplace new. The graphics are great too and I don't think the original trailers did the game justice. Sure there may have been some bugs and still are a couple, but it's nothing major and they don't ruin the gameplay. So I'd highly suggest it

What I think is wrong is still keeping Pikachu’s electronic cry in the game. Junichi Masuda has said that how people hear Pikachu is Ikue Ohtani’s “Pika-pika”. It’s still kept in games prior to Arceus but if the cry is going to be permanent, in my opinion is that Pokémon Masters EX has to have that electronic cry as well as Pokémon GO.
I personally think that Ohtani's cry should be patched in these games… exclusively for event-only Pikachu distributions. It would allow fans of both the electronic cry and the anime cry to be somewhat satisfied, and could also be an incentive/selling point to get those special Pikachu distributions TPC loves to do.

I personally think that Ohtani's cry should be patched in these games… exclusively for event-only Pikachu distributions. It would allow fans of both the electronic cry and the anime cry to be somewhat satisfied, and could also be an incentive/selling point to get those special Pikachu distributions TPC loves to do.

Well, what about changing Pikachu’s (and Eevee’s) cry(ies) in Pokémon Masters EX or Pokémon GO? And people the new Roblox die sound. “Ahh!” and not the “Oof!”

They are also back to keeping normal evolution theme when trading when they could’ve used an alternative theme. GameFreak should just stick to TRs and the Region League have a Champion Cup instead of an Elite Four.

Last edited:
I only think it's the "worst" in that it could really, really use some tweaking in various areas. In terms of characters and story, it's really damn solid - one of the best games in that regard, I'd say.

Aside from the “flaws”, I like the awards I get by registering data entries to the Pokédex. I hope a update will give us a sound setting on the standard animal noises or the Pokémon Speak. Or I hope DeNA and Niantic will update Pikachu’s sound to how it currently is.

But another thing I think GameFreak should improve is just obtaining non-starter evolutions (even Raichu) by just evolving some kind. Many Pokemon that evolve by evolution stones have mostly never been catch-able in the wild as well as trading. I don't even know why they added wild Rapidash in GSC.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom