• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Aren't those Blue artworks?

Somari

Reaction score
'Archives lists the "original" artwork for the Kanto Pokemon as Red and Green.

However I remember looking at the Japanese site for RG and it has different, scratchier looking artwork.

I'm still trying to determine what art are from what games, but our old art (e.g. File:001Bulbasaur RG.png) has some issues. For example, the Bulbasaur is in fact not from Red and Green. Scroll down to the bottom of this page. It's not the same. It seems that Ken Sugimori drew new art for RB or something.

Or, is that even Sugimori art at all? Close up, it doesn't look Sugimori. However, that may just have been his old style.

Which ever way it is, there's something wrong with the categorization and/or naming.

*cough*

I'll figure it out.

most of the RG artwork are featured on the tcg evolution box (those from base set etc) and they look different from those in the archive. some can be found in here.. those in the archive is the BLUE version, and is used for pokemon red and blue in the us.

while we are at this, the artwork for lugia, ho-oh and the legendary beast are also wrong. the GS version should be the artwork on the box of gold and silver version. i know since i owned a guide book and the current artwork is not from gold and silver. however, i am not sure if the artwork is from ctystal, but the firered and leafgreen guide do use the current artwork in the archive.

Edit: this is what i meant

Last edited:
These are what I meant. Aren't these the RG artwork?

They seem too clean to be Sugimori's though.

Also..

I could have sworn this one was a Yellow artwork, but I may be wrong.

Edit:

This has nothing to do with this, but it's better then making a topic and spamming. Why are Ethan and "Gold" in separate Archive categories?

Last edited:
It's shiny.
What is? The Mew? Even if you somehow see it as blue, it confirms a few things, though we probably already knew the first. One, the official name is Myu. Two, that's the RG art.

EDIT 2: Never mind about the first edit.

Last edited:
'Archives lists the "original" artwork for the Kanto Pokemon as Red and Green.

However I remember looking at the Japanese site for RG and it has different, scratchier looking artwork.

Yeah the ones you posted later on are definitely the Red and Green ones. However, I am certain that these ones are from Yellow as I remember these artwork from the instruction booklet in Yellow.

So I've figured out what's actually RG. However, I cannot figure out for the life of me where the others came from. They're between JP Yellow, English RB, and JP G/S (but that's a stretch).

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom