• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Art Gallery General Chat Thread

i would LOVE to do art as a job (its basically been my life's dream) but ofc it does not pay well and capitalism is working it's damndest to make being just a normal artist completely unachievable, so i probably won't be able to pursue it.

right now I'm setting my sights on making sets for plays

I'm on the same boat, I would love to work in an art related field but given my lack of education, the lack of opportunities in my country, the state of art in general... I don't think it will be possible. Maybe as a side gig ^^
My goal this year is to open commissions (probably this summer if everything goes well) and start posting more art online, outside of these forums haha (my tumblr hasn't seen the light of day for months >.<) but sometimes I feel like my level of experience is not enough for that sort of stuff. It will definitely take some confidence from my part, something I'm trying to work towards.
I hope everyone's art goals are going steady this year! Much support to all of you ^^

guys is it normal to draw without sketching anything like just going straight to lineart
like where the sketch IS the lineart
I used to do this when I was a lot younger (age 13), I stopped when I realized I was missing a lot of key proportions and not really learning as well as I could be for myself. However, as I am older now and more learned, I don't really move right to lineart persay but I have sketched at times without the use of guidelines or sketchy bases at all, and refined those instead of linearting. Does that count? :chansey: (basically I do sometimes what Sonia said LOL)

I think that's pretty normal, I only ever go straight to lineart and cleaned sketches tbh. The only guideline I really use is like... a single circle as a base? The rare occasions where I'll draw out a full sketch layer and then line over it are just when I want it to look extra polished.

Although, the majority of my art training was actually on stuff like comics/cartoons and character design rather than illustration, so I was actually kind of encouraged to go straight to ink (and was usually told things like "simplify it" or "make your lines confident" when I was spending too long on a sketch lol). It probably just stuck in my muscle memory when I started doing digital more than analog.

What future do you see for your art? Is this a hobby for you or a career path? What goals do you have for your artistic path? Personal projects, games or something else?
I definitely intended for it to be a career for me when I was younger, but with each year that passes, I realize more and more often that I only want to keep it a hobby for myself forever. If some amazing opportunity somehow magically fell into my lap I'd take it, but like... trying to navigate and survive in the art world in any capacity would be a personal nightmare for me. I'm just gonna keep drawing self-indulgent fanart and making bad games for fun because I like it that way.

hmm i'm trying to finish up this design for a second stage in this monster's line, and i'm lookin for some critique i guess. i have two final design candidates here, one being a more initial design and the other being a sort of redesign meant to be more accurate to a gashapon machine, which it's based off of. i think i prefer the one on the bottom left, but i'm curious if anyone has thoughts/critique for either of these and which they think is better.

sorry if this isn't the right thread to ask this in ^^;
1712531215770.png

@bulbasaur's toys there's a button that looks like a crossed out eye, or you could do [SPOILER](image goes here)[/SPOILER]. you can also do [SPOILER="name here"](image)[/SPOILER] if you want the button to have a description.

hmm i'm trying to finish up this design for a second stage in this monster's line, and i'm lookin for some critique i guess. i have two final design candidates here, one being a more initial design and the other being a sort of redesign meant to be more accurate to a gashapon machine, which it's based off of. i think i prefer the one on the bottom left, but i'm curious if anyone has thoughts/critique for either of these and which they think is better.

sorry if this isn't the right thread to ask this in ^^;
Nice! I think I like the bottom left one more, too...the upper right design has the container of gashapon capsules right behind the eyes, which seems like it could get cluttered once the design is colored. The bottom left has the capsules further from the face, which looks cleaner to me.

First of all, I love how much Classic Mega Man energy this design has lol
I actually like the top right better, I think it works better to have the capsules in front so you can easily tell what it's supposed to be, plus it makes the eyes stand out more. As long as the rest of the design has a consistent color scheme I don't see it getting too cluttered. Having the container in the back feels a little disconnected to me, like it's just stuck on without really being integrated into the design. That's just what I think, anyway :chansey:

Back
Top Bottom