• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Attack changes and Dark/Fighting/Psychic starters

I Have Creamy Diarrhea said:
EDIT: Also, Melon over at SPP (who speaks Japanese I believe) says he can't find the girl that talks about the starters in the GameFreak building can someone describe her?

There's a reason why it took about half an hour to confirm all those reports - the people in the room change every time you go in. And, this girl in particular changes what she says - the first time you meet her she will talk about the new unnamed Pokémon, and after you convince Sugimori to show it to you, she will talk about the starters.

If the attack changes go through....

Kingler wins at life.
Sceptile has been buttraped.

Have a nice day.

Quite a shake up here.

And so those weeping for Alakazam, you forget, Shadow Ball will likely become a special attack. All Psychic sweepers will have Shadow Ball. Psychic vs. Psychic just into into a whole new ball game.

My guess is Projectile and energy attacks will be special and physical contact attacks will be physical. I see Rock and Ground attacks remaining physical because they require physical strength.

Hitmonchan finally becomes useful and Rock Slide will be replaced on Fighting Pokemon by Thunderpunch for added accuracy.

Sceptile gets it in the butt like Paperfairy said.

The game mechanics have completely changed and the metagame will never be the same.

Well...this should be interesting. Not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing yet. Not loving the attack change thing. Definitely not loving the Psychic starter, if it's anything like Abra or Ralts we'll be f**king screwed.

bell02 alpha said:
Dark, Physic, and Fighting all sound very weird... but... what if they are part water, fire, and grass!? What if even more the mixes are oddly patterned:
Dark, Plant? (swamp monster?)
Physic, Fire? (pyro kenisis?)
Fight, Water? (dancer maybe?)
Scary =X

I would like to see them. I hope, they won't be ugly. I would like to get starters with pretty look.

WHY is everyone so upset about the attack changes? i mean, come on! It's obvious it should have been there from the start. And if your worried about "relearning" things, don't be, all it takes is a little common sense to figure out whats physical and whats isn't. IMO, the Psychic/Dark/Fighting triangle wouldn't work terribly well as a starter set, and i doubt they would've made this hype about it if they were going to be Grass/Fire/Water anyway.

People crying over strong Pokemon becoming "useless" while "useless" Pokemon become strong need to remember that a move set overhaul is also likely. As is the influence of a new set of TMs, not to mention brand new attacks.

I really like the idea of Pokemon that were once rather useless in the metagame thanks to the Phys/Special thing being set out the way it was suddenly becoming useful. As well as generally just the idea of something fresh to the whole thing. We always get at least one thing every generation to shakeup battling a little. Hold Items, Abilities and now a sensible reworking of the Phys/Special deal - and maybe more.

Some people fear change, but that's just silly - changing is a natural and expected thing. I'm liking the look of this change very much and dare say that it could make Pokemon, the metagame and more importantly considering the whole WiFi Connection deal, online battling more interesting.

All of it is great except for the starter thing. Fighting/Dark/Psychic? No! That can't happen...also, the Dark type will have full control over the Psychic because Psychic can't hurt Dark at all. :( The people who chose the psychic Pokemon will have serious trouble beating their rival. :(

As was mentioned above, you just need to catch a fighting Pokémon before your second encounter. I assume that some equivalent to Makuhita will be found in the wild early on.

This is all very interesting and just shows how little we still know about these games even with the recent surge of information.

But I bet the fighting starter will be ugly...:(
Most Fighting Pokemon are ugly.... o_O;
Unless they are Fire/Fighting-Water/Dark-Grass/Psychic...(Or Fire/Dark, Water/Psychic, and Grass/Fighting...)

Rukaria said:
But I bet the fighting starter will be ugly...:(
Most Fighting Pokemon are ugly.... o_O;
Rukario isn't ugly o_O Its the cutest pokemon ever^^ *hugs her Rukario plushie*

I hope, their evolutions will be pretty. I remember evolutions of Torchic and Mudkip...they are terrible, so this time I would like to see nice evolutions of starters. Hmmm....
Rukaria said:
All of it is great except for the starter thing. Fighting/Dark/Psychic? No! That can't happen...also, the Dark type will have full control over the Psychic because Psychic can't hurt Dark at all. :( The people who chose the psychic Pokemon will have serious trouble beating their rival. :(
Well, psychic pokemon may use tackle :p or another physical attack. I belive, we will find the way how to beat our rivals. But the fight will be hard.

No! Not Rukario! :O I meant like Hariyama and Medicham. Rukario is like the awesomest Pokemon ever! :D

The people at Serebii at practically in tears. I don't why, it'll just change what they have on their teams. And possibly new rolls for Poke like this:

Blissey
Calm Mind
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Earthquake
=
total pwnage

The metagame will never be the same.

Other winners
Typholsion could use EQ and RS for massive damage
Hitmonchan finally becomes a real winner
Dewgong can finally use Signal Beam with some effectiveness
Jolteon is finally the Psychic-stomper it should have been
Jynx will become a terror against other psychics
Alakazam and Espeon will own all other Psychics thanks to their speed/spA/SB
Xatu will ba a major contender
Politoed and some other waters will finally make the Surf/IB/EQ set work
Magcargo's Rock Slide and Earthquake might hit a little better
Stantler might gain some spot light with the now ever popular Psychic/SB combo
Beautifly's Silver Wing might actually hurt
Flygon's Crunch and Dragon Claw will finally be workable
Seviper will be a plague to all Psychics
Lunatone get's a third third special type to use (it'll have more but you need room for Calm Mind)
Chimecho might actually be playable
Walrein + Special EQ = more usable

*catches breath*

It had to be done for Hold Items and Abilities anyway. People don't complain about either of those now.

I can't see them changing too many attacks this way. Special Earthquake wouldn't make sense. Hold off on the speculation a little til we actually see what moves are moving to special and moving to physical ok?

Changing how attacks work is a nice change of pace, but could ruin certain Pokemon (example, my Absol's moveset is Swords Dance/Aerial Ace/HP Rock/Shadow Ball. The changes would probably make the latter two attacks Special, hurting my pure-Attack EV Absol). Then again, movesets will probably be overhauled and balance things out. I want to see Ice-punching Brelooms killing all the Flying Pokemon.

As for new starters, I'm up for it, although I hope they won't make the Dark one too overpowered if it's on the rival's team, or else add second types to give Psychics a chance (I know it wouldn't matter in the first battle, but if you're like me, your starter usually ends up being your strongest by five levels and can actually survive the rival's starter a bit better than your others).

I wouldn't mind if Physical and Special make more sense, but I never paid attention to that to begin with. I would be curious as to what this "underground" is. The big issue for me is the starter triangle. It's not that I don't like change. That, I don't mind, it's the pandering to the people that want to radically retool pokemon into something that it's not that concerns me. If Gamefreak listens to those sort of people, then they will lose my respect. I'm not certain if Fighting/Psychic/Dark are popular enough to warrant them being starters to begin with. Well, at least Fighting isn't. I could be wrong. Psychic, I believe is too powerful to be at the beginning of the game. Ralts proves me somewhat wrong, though. Dark is just odd. They are furthermore an imbalanced triangle, which some people believe could be alleviated. They've made type alignment changes before. One of Gamefreak's goals seems to be to shake up the strategies set by the previous versions. Fighting and Dark do need the attention as neglected types, Dark more than Fighting. None of these types appeal to me, though. I feel that if the starter types change to this, they might as well hand the reigns to the fans themselves and let them finish the game. I hope that they remain Grass/Fire/Water. As for Fighting/Psychic/Dark being secondary types later on, that could be feasible.

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom