• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Music Background music of the show

I don't think they're trying to actively disrespect the Japanese composers, I just think they're changing the music just because.

That's still being disrespectful to the original composers. To rub salt in the wound, John Loeffler has insulted Mr. Miyazaki's work as "basic music" while calling his own work "lush, big with lots of instruments". He can talk about his own music as much as he likes, but he had no moral right to talk crap about other musical works by Mr. Miyazaki.

Maybe he is wrong to insult other people's work if he really did that. But do ordinary people have any moral right to insult Loeffler's work even if you don't think highly of it?

After comparing the original music to the dub music for god knows how many episodes, it's VERY obvious the dub music doesn't have any connection to the games, doesn't fit the scenes properly, and fills in silence with unnecessary droning music. I just don't like Loeffler's attitude for what he said. Ban me for asking, but are you trying to be neutral here?

Last edited:
After comparing the original music to the dub music for god knows how many episodes, it's VERY obvious the dub music doesn't have any connection to the games, doesn't fit the scenes properly, and fills in silence with unnecessary droning music. I just don't like Loeffler's attitude for what he said. Ban me for asking, but are you trying to be neutral here?

Honestly, insulting is more hurtful but criticism is more helpful (to those open to it).

Honestly, insulting is more hurtful but criticism is more helpful (to those open to it).

It may look like I'm insulting Loeffler, but I did not intend to do that. I wish I can come up with a more reasonable criticism on why I don't really like Loeffler's music, but some other people in this forum have said it better than I can.

With that said I think it would be better if whatever Loeffler said about Miyazaki's work not be mentioned anymore. We're not really here to discuss what someone else thinks who isn't on this forum, if its hypocritical and if its an insult or not; we're here to discuss what we ourselves think of music and BGM being replaced in the dub. A rant about either composer would be better suited for the blogs when its got to do with what the person said and not about their music.

A while back, I brought up the two different Dubbed versions of Playing the Performance Encore. Thankfully, the version that made its initial debut on CartoonNetwork maintain all the music as is (sans the title screen theme) unchanged. Well, it was a completely different story for the version that streamed on Pokemon.com. In that version, the well known instrumental theme to Hikari/Dawn was actually replaced during the climax. So instead of an upbeat, uplifting and cheerful tune that went along perfectly well with Dawn's come from behind victory, we get (as indicated above) this bland, generic, and plain ugly track with the Dub composers' traditional synthesizer at work, which completely alters the feel of that moment, thus rendering said victory effectively meaningless.

Luckily, the "original music" version is the one available on US DVD. The alternate served as a base for all dubs though, and aired in UK and - i assume - was released on a DVD in Australia. The music replacement is a letdown, but most of it (checked only the first half) is similar in tone to the original, yet still inferior.

There's a possibility that the music got replaced due to some technical issue during preparing US dub, so the original M&E track couldn't be used for foreign dubs, but that's based on something i heard months ago so the reason may be different.

Luckily, the "original music" version is the one available on US DVD. The alternate served as a base for all dubs though, and aired in UK and - i assume - was released on a DVD in Australia. The music replacement is a letdown, but most of it (checked only the first half) is similar in tone to the original, yet still inferior.

There's a possibility that the music got replaced due to some technical issue during preparing US dub, so the original M&E track couldn't be used for foreign dubs, but that's based on something i heard months ago so the reason may be different.

It cannot be a technical issue. It has already been evident that TPCi has the rights to use all of the original music. They just don't feel like using them all.

You clearly misunderstood. The episode aired in US and got released on a DVD with original music, only the "export version" is changed...

Despite my preference of leaving all of the BGM alone, I guess I wouldn't mind if they have kept the amount of music in double digits or more. That would have been better than single digits.

Battling The King Of The Mines! kept 9 out of 16 pieces or 56% which is the highest amount of music kept this season.

How should/will background music will be handled in Season 2?

My speculation/hope is that they start adding more older background music in these episodes, and I'm sure they will. My hope is that of older pieces of TV and movie music, they'll especially play rarely played tracks, but my guess is that they won't do that.

What about with you guys? Should/Will they still do what they've been doing with the background music back in Best Wishes! [Season 1]? Should/Do you think they be making some newer tracks? I wouldn't really mind that either.

I agree that we will see(or rather hear) a return of many old tracks(Kimi no Soba de is a given at the very least given Watashi Makenai made a return). But as for dub itself, I think they will continue to replace most of the music with their own tracks.

This thread needs more love.

This is meant to be more of a debate than a factual thread; best to post the episode data in their review threads. Thanks.

I think it's pretty obvious that old BGM will make a return just like all other past things are making a return
BW - both games and anime - clearly planned everything from the very beginning: first they introduced to us a brand new "fresh" generation with no relations to the past at all, to make it special and exciting, then after the initial excitement went down a little and after people would start to get sick of the new Poké and the limited past references, they surprise us all with a big come back of all old Poké, characters and things from the past
What they did with the BGM was clearly part of this plan, so it'll probably follow everything else and will now accept past BGM too
Also, about Kimi no Soba de - it kind of already did return in some random BW eps... it's the movie (I think Movie 13) version, but still... I totally hated that they dared to play it in a non-Dawn ep... just like Watashi Makenai ONLY played in May scenes, Kimi no Soba de should've stayed exclusive to Dawn scenes...

I would love it for old BGM to return. I liked the reboot that Best Wishes! did at the beginning of the series, but getting rid of Kanto-Sinnoh television and movie music was an awful decision. I would also love it if Shinji Miyazaki composed remixes of new music in B2W2. :)

I think it's pretty obvious that old BGM will make a return just like all other past things are making a return
BW - both games and anime - clearly planned everything from the very beginning

You sure seem to think you have the writers all figured out.

It be nice if the old BGM did make a return, but I wouldn't be surprised if they kept with the newer tunes they use now.

I'm probably one of the few, but I consider the fact that we get two somewhat different soundtracks to be a bonus. It's nice that we get to see two somewhat different takes on it. I don't want them to replace everything, of course.

It'd be interesting to see a comparative study (using people who never saw either version before).

I'm probably one of the few, but I consider the fact that we get two somewhat different soundtracks to be a bonus. It's nice that we get to see two somewhat different takes on it. I don't want them to replace everything, of course.

Well, I appreciate the idea of the experience of seeing what the Japanese version of a scene was originally like (after first seeing how 4Kids/TPCI's dub changed things), but... at the same time, there's no convenient legal way to hear and compare the two versions.

I agree that we will see(or rather hear) a return of many old tracks(Kimi no Soba de is a given at the very least given Watashi Makenai made a return). But as for dub itself, I think they will continue to replace most of the music with their own tracks.

This thread needs more love.

I hope so! I want them to play Kimi no Soba during Dawn's big return! It would make it P-E-R-F-E-C-T-! other old BGM would be awesome too! Like Tears after Cloudy Weather. (My personal favorite.)

I'm honestly at disbelief that there is actually someone that likes the dub BGM. Statistics aside, I have come across my friends outside the internet about the music in Pokemon. Some don't like the dub music, and others are indifferent either way, but none of them actually liked the dub music. I have yet to find a person who actually likes the dub compositions that fill up space where there's no music in the original as well as not fitting the scenes properly making them bland and boring. I have listened to the BW Japanese BGM and compared it to the BW Dub BGM. The quality is so obvious that even an 8 year old would notice the difference.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom