• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bad Egg glitch discovered

Re: Bad Eggs going around on Wonder Trade

I agree that Game Freak needs to be notified. The number of these major glitches is very alarming I wish they could just patch all of them at once.

We don't even know if this is something that can be patched, or honestly if it actually really happened the way it is reported to have happened. So far we've gone from "BAD EGGS BEING SPREAD ON WONDER TRADE THAT CAN REPLACE ALL OF YOUR POKEMON WITH BAD EGGSS!!!1!!!11111!!1!!!1111 omg teh haxors" to "Well, its one guy who managed to get a bad egg while catching a Pokemon"

For all we know, this bad egg thing might've happened before the Luminoise City update and that might've fixed it.
It did, but apparently 'tis still happening. They can't fix things they don't know about after all

It did, but apparently 'tis still happening. They can't fix things they don't know about after all
"Apparently"? Apparent from what? I've still only seen the one concrete report.

Rumor mill is operating at warp speed on this one.

F****** hackers. Some people... there goes Wonder Trading...

EDIT: read more posts... wait... it didn't take a hacker? It was a random encounter? Which story is the real one?

Last edited:

F****** hackers. Some people... there goes Wonder Trading...

Not the hackers

This is unconfirmed, based on a bit of speculation.

There is a Bad Egg glitch, and we've known about that since launch. Nobody knows what triggers it, but given that it happened to somebody right after release, trading hacked Pokemon evidently is not the cause (or I suppose I should say it isn't the only cause, and isn't known to be a cause).

While I suppose it's possible that this could be triggered by getting a hacked Pokemon in a trade, this strikes me as unlikely for a few reasons, not least that there are unlikely to be many hacked Pokemon out there right now, as very few people currently have the means to hack the game.

Until we're presented with actual evidence of any of this being true, I'd advise people to treat it with the same degree of trustworthiness as your average Mew/truck rumor.

Seriously - there are only two groups who have "hacked" the game so far. One group of people found a way to dupe the game into connecting to a fake GTS server, which would allow them to look at a Pokemon's data - however, they have no intention of sending artificially generated Pokemon to others' carts. The second is a super tech-savy guy who tricks the DS using some data on the SD card. He too has no intention of abusing it to send illegitimate Pokemon to others. Right now, the people with the means to hack the game are doing it for purely informational purposes. Just because you don't understand how something works doesn't mean that thing is evil. The simple truth of the matter is that the 3DS is very well encrypted compared to the DS, so only very talented and knowledgeable people are able to hack it, and they have better things to do than be complete jerks to other players.

"BAD EGG"s are glitches. X and Y are running on completely new hardware from the last gen, so GF hasn't figured out all the ins and outs of the 3DS yet. If anyone gets one, the only thing they can do is send it into Nintendo. (Though, to be fair - Game Freak would actually be the ones who knew what was happening. Best plan of action would probably be to ask them how serious the problem and if anything can be done first, if you can, though legally Nintendo is the only one who can try to fix the cart.:mad: )

Too lazy to say it my self.

FFS the Bad Egg is NOT the result of hacking! Sheesh, can we tone down the high-and-mighty attitude and paranoia against hacking? 99.99% of hacked Pokemon ARE PERFECTY HARMLESS. I can't stand how stupid people are being over this panic on the Bad Egg.

I'm now more concerned about the 'we've only had it reported once, who cares' attitude some users in this thread are displaying. It's disgusting, especially when they're telling off users who are merely exercising caution - after all, just because it has only been reported once, it doesn't mean it has only occurred once.

This Bad Egg glitch is a super bad glitch, and Game Freak aabsolutely needs to be notified. It can wreck someone's entire game, and we have no idea how it occurs. There's currently no boxes we can tick to make the glitch happen again, and that's even more bad than super bad. It's ultra bad!

I'm now more concerned about the 'we've only had it reported once, who cares' attitude some users in this thread are displaying.

It is much better to freak out and blame hackers and abandon all trading, then. That's totally a more rational thing.

It can wreck someone's entire game,

Citation needed.

Bad Eggs do not do anything to the game. They just sit there. That isn't ideal, to be certain, and if that is actually what happened, it should be fixed if possible. But it is not some game breaking glitch that'll destroy someone's save file or erase all of your Pokemon.

I'm now more concerned about the 'we've only had it reported once, who cares' attitude some users in this thread are displaying. It's disgusting, especially when they're telling off users who are merely exercising caution - after all, just because it has only been reported once, it doesn't mean it has only occurred once.
But that does mean it's pretty dang rare. Millions of copies of the game, many of the players with Internet access, and we have one report. From the day after release. And nothing since.

It's certainly a bug worth fixing, whatever causes it, but it is absolutely not worth this level of paranoia and fearmongering about "hackers" who are out to destroy your game via Wonder Trade. That is already affecting far more than one person.

For example. "Plagues community", "infecting the Pokémon community", "some hackers are trading". And they cite Bulbagarden.

This Bad Egg glitch is a super bad glitch, and Game Freak aabsolutely needs to be notified. It can wreck someone's entire game, and we have no idea how it occurs. There's currently no boxes we can tick to make the glitch happen again, and that's even more bad than super bad. It's ultra bad!

It's Plasbad!

In all seriousness, this is pretty scary. Bad eggs in the past haven't wrecked up games this badly. Though maybe because the bad egg is just one icon for several different types of data corruption. I wouldn't stay away from wonder trade, since it seems rare, but I hope it can be fixed :/

Bad eggs in the past haven't wrecked up games this badly.

And they haven't in these games, either. All they've done is popped up harmlessly in one guy's game. The reports of them infecting other Pokemon and requiring entire boxes quarantined are completely unsubstantiated.

In all seriousness, this is pretty scary. Bad eggs in the past haven't wrecked up games this badly. Though maybe because the bad egg is just one icon for several different types of data corruption. I wouldn't stay away from wonder trade, since it seems rare, but I hope it can be fixed :/

So I've read up on this, and apparently the Youtube video showing the bad egg came from a guy who was playing the game and got the Bad Egg after catching a Pokemon, not hacking and not trading.

Yet we're concerned about Wonder Trade.

Shouldn't we be more concerned over the fact that a person did absolutely nothing and a bad egg appeared? Or do we just want to cast blame on random people? If there's a glitch that causes random bad eggs to appear, Game Freak needs to know and we need a v1.2

Bad eggs don't "wreck up games this badly" now either. They function exactly the same way.

Bad eggs in the past haven't wrecked up games this badly.

And they haven't in these games, either. All they've done is popped up harmlessly in one guy's game. The reports of them infecting other Pokemon and requiring entire boxes quarantined are completely unsubstantiated.

Apologies; I was under the assumption that the corruption was legitimate.

there's a lot of people saying a tons of different things about this glitch, most of it seems like paranoia-based rumours. can anybody tell me what is confirmed about this? to my knowledge on the matter it only happened to few people in normal gameplay, where is this hackers and wonder trade stuff coming from?

there's a lot of people saying a tons of different things about this glitch, most of it seems like paranoia-based rumours. can anybody tell me what is confirmed about this? to my knowledge on the matter it only happened to few people in normal gameplay, where is this hackers and wonder trade stuff coming from?
One person encountered two bad eggs while playing the game locally. Wonder Trade was not involved. Hacking was not involved. It happened Oct 13, the day after the game came out.

I kind of used to be neutral on the whole aspect of 'hacking' into the game to obtain data that wouldn't otherwise be obtainable. However when they go and do douchey stuff like this it crosses the line. Now we'll either have to wait for a Patch to prevent this. However if I were Nintendo/Game Freak I'd be over this and just let everyone 'suffer'.

As an RNG abuser I tend to lean towards knowing more about the internal workings of the Pokemon games but I honestly was hoping this time around people could be on equal ground. I mean look how much easier they've made IV breeding? But I'm ranting at this point.

R.I.P. Wonder Trade

I kind of used to be neutral on the whole aspect of 'hacking' into the game to obtain data that wouldn't otherwise be obtainable. However when they go and do douchey stuff like this it crosses the line. Now we'll either have to wait for a Patch to prevent this. However if I were Nintendo/Game Freak I'd be over this and just let everyone 'suffer'.

As an RNG abuser I tend to lean towards knowing more about the internal workings of the Pokemon games but I honestly was hoping this time around people could be on equal ground. I mean look how much easier they've made IV breeding? But I'm ranting at this point.

R.I.P. Wonder Trade

ffc people read the last few pages.

I feel like the title of this needs to be changed. There are NOT Bad Eggs being thrown around willy nilly on Wonder Trade.

But that does mean it's pretty dang rare. Millions of copies of the game, many of the players with Internet access, and we have one report. From the day after release. And nothing since.

People who use Pokemon forums, image boards, and know how to upload to Youtube are but a drop out of those millions of copies. I can only assume that, by chance, it happened to hit someone who at least checks the 'knows how to record video and upload to Youtube' box.

It's certainly a bug worth fixing, whatever causes it, but it is absolutely not worth this level of paranoia and fearmongering about "hackers" who are out to destroy your game via Wonder Trade. That is already affecting far more than one person.

For example. "Plagues community", "infecting the Pokémon community", "some hackers are trading". And they cite Bulbagarden.

Given that 'hackers' just popped up into the X/Y scene, I can see the correlation when it comes to panic.

And does anyone even bloody follow KPOPSTARZ? I swear I only ever find their articles when I search for something, and they never have any comments

YamiiDenryuu said:
randomspot555 said:
Bad eggs don't "wreck up games this badly" now either. They function exactly the same way.

That Youtube user commented on his video about an hour ago, and he's going to give us an update on the situation. He did say in the video that he had no idea if it could be Wonder Traded and the like, and well... Until that video, I have to wonder if he did manage to Wonder Trade an egg, resulting in said 'unsubstantiated claims.' I'm also of the opinion that just because he hadn't shown anything bad happening yet (he recorded the video right after getting them), it doesn't mean that they're completely harmless. The claims for the eggs being terrible, and game wrecking, are just as unsubstantiated as you guys claiming it's harmless. Until he releases a new video, I think it's still perfectly fine for people to exercise caution and be paranoid of Wonder Trading.

I think the fact that it happened twice is honestly pretty bad. What'd he do to make something that's apparently very hard to do, happen twice?

I'm so scared right now.

Do you get the Mystery Egg immediately after you use Wonder Trade or can you get it days after your last use? As of right now, I don't have any Mystery Eggs but I'm worried one might appear out of nowhere in the coming days since I used Wonder Trade so much a couple days ago.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom