• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbagarden Conversational Chat Thread Vol.5

my sister and i have both broken our phones before, but neither of those incidents had anything to do with dropping it or getting it smashed...
Did you had a weaker moment and felt the need to turn it off and then on and then off again without the device getting the chance to properly turn on and repeated like.... Twenty five times like I did?

Yeah, the battery is probably durable enough.... But the quality of the glass depends on the model, I believe? Anyway, smashing phones for fun and entertainment is... stupid. There are better things one can do with a device they don't want to use anymore -_-

my sister dropped hers in a place where one... simply should not drop phones. even if it wasn't rendered inoperable, i don't think she'd want to touch it ever again anyway.
mine got waterlogged. i was being dumb at a beach and forgot that my phone was still in my back pocket (i was wearing shorts) when i went into the water. my parents replaced it with a literal kiddie phone - this was when i was in eighth grade - and it is STILL my phone. as punishment for my thoughtlessness.

Hmmmm..... Is it even safe? Like, smashing electronics.... It seems very unsafe to me, and I don't even know what's in batteries and like. Just the glass and metal pieces alone are probably dangerous...
The parents who get so mad that they smash the electronics that they likely spent hundreds of dollars on probably don't even care about things like safety.

Absolute genuinely funniest one of these videos I've seen is one where it's some grainy-ass 240p video of a dude about to show how to do a beginner-level card trick and he's outside for some reason too. Then he hears a noise and he looks a bit annoyed with a 'Ugh, I'm gonna have to start this video over dammit' look but then he suddenly looks surprised and takes his camera and moves it over to point at the front porch of a house where some teenager is sitting on the porch with their laptop and their mom comes in and starts telling the kid to do his chores and the kid keeps asking for 'Five more minutes, just five more minutes' Then the mom just grabs the laptop and just throws it onto the pavement, breaking it immediately, and then the teen and the mom go back inside the house. The video just ends with him pointing the camera at the smashed laptop and saying 'Uh oh, guess I'll show you to do the trick some other day'

my sister dropped hers in a place where one... simply should not drop phones. even if it wasn't rendered inoperable, i don't think she'd want to touch it ever again anyway.
mine got waterlogged. i was being dumb at a beach and forgot that my phone was still in my back pocket (i was wearing shorts) when i went into the water. my parents replaced it with a literal kiddie phone - this was when i was in eighth grade - and it is STILL my phone. as punishment for my thoughtlessness.
Lysol fixes everything. Also, flip phones are stylish.

Sometimes I forget that some mods here are actually teenagers.

Tbh if this was a forum where serious shit was happening, I'd have more of an issue with that because teenagers are not emotionally developed or mature enough to deal with that shit and I would say should not be moderators but what kind of drama happens on these boards?

Tbh if this was a forum where serious shit was happening, I'd have more of an issue with that because teenagers are not emotionally developed or mature enough to deal with that shit and I would say should not be moderators but what kind of drama happens on these boards?
I can start some drama now so we can test their mettle.

the most serious answer i can supply you with is that we wouldn't hire anyone without the level of maturity moderation requires. sure, maybe on average teenagers are less mature than adults... but ultimately these kinds of things require one to discard generalizations, for some teenagers are far more mature than some adults.
Lysol fixes everything. Also, flip phones are stylish.
i quite wish that it was a flip phone. this one looks exactly like most phones with the key difference being that it can hardly do anything.
I can start some drama now so we can test their mettle.
objection!

It's not really a generalization, the way I see it is that there is an upper limit for how mature someone can be based upon their age but there's also no lower limit for maturity.

I'm 27 and it's fully possible to meet someone who is 27 years old but is less mature than the average teenager, but conversely you're not going to encounter a 15 year old who is more mature than a fully mature and emotionally developed 27 year old just because the 15 year old does not have the same life experience and their brain is still developing and that very much plays a big part in one's emotional maturity.

Edit: Or to put in simpler terms, 'Some people don't grow up, they just grow old.'

Whether a young person being mature for their age is good, is up for debate. However an older person being immature is never a good thing. What defines maturity? Admitting when one is wrong is a good start.

Teenagers being referred to (or saying that they are) 'mature for their age' almost always falls into one of three categories:
  • The typical teenage 'I know everything, I'm so mature' mindset
  • Someone who was forced to mature because of personal experiences that they very much should not have faced at such a young age and know that they've 'grown up' and 'matured' quicker compared to other people their age but also know that was not something they should have to had to deal with
  • A creep trying to, you know, be a creep

adults can acknowledge teenagers as being mature for their age without having ulterior motives. i've been referred to as being mature for my age by family members and teachers. whether that's true or not is up to your discretion (i.e., personal opinion), but sometimes an observation is simply an observation.

What defines maturity? Admitting when one is wrong is a good start.
i do think that maturity is ultimately a subjective matter, but i agree with this statement :x

Maybe I'm just jaded and hate the youth.

It's the first sign of catching the olds.

(In my defense, when you're autistic like I am and have sensory issues where loud noises causes you genuine pain and a group of like 20-30 teenagers come into the McDonald's where you just wanted to relax and have a burger after walking like 5 miles and they're so goddamn loud that even using your headphones to try and block the noise doesn't work and you're shaking and in actual pain and need to use one of your plushies to try and calm yourself down, I think it's fair that my reaction to this was: 'These people need to shut the actual fuck up or fucking leave.')

Maybe I'm just jaded and hate the youth.

It's the first sign of catching the olds.

(In my defense, when you're autistic like I am and have sensory issues where loud noises causes you genuine pain and a group of like 20-30 teenagers come into the McDonald's where you just wanted to relax and have a burger after walking like 5 miles and they're so goddamn loud that even using your headphones to try and block the noise doesn't work and you're shaking and in actual pain and need to use one of your plushies to try and calm yourself down, I think it's fair that my reaction to this was: 'These people need to shut the actual fuck up or fucking leave.')
those people are immature. it's very rude to make such a racket in a public space and doing so demonstrates one's lack of self-awareness and/or respect for others. that was a perfectly understandable reaction from you, but hating all teenagers is significantly less reasonable. i don't know if that's a loud (haha... not laughing) minority or not, but i condemn such behavior (especially as a fellow autistic person with a sensitivity to loud noises... and some very noisy peers), and i'm certain that i'm not alone in that.
"Being mature for your age" sucks because your peers are rather immature in your eyes.
oh dear. this was an enormous issue i had when i was younger. things are better now, but this was one of my biggest psychological inner battles a few years back.

those people are immature. it's very rude to make such a racket in a public space and doing so demonstrates one's lack of self-awareness and/or respect for others. that was a perfectly understandable reaction from you, but hating all teenagers is significantly less reasonable. i don't know if that's a loud (haha... not laughing) minority or not, but i condemn such behavior (especially as a fellow autistic person with a sensitivity to loud noises... and some very noisy peers), and i'm certain that i'm not alone in that.
When 900 years old you reach, hate the youth you will too.

Edit: I like how I'm acting like I'm as old as Methuselah but I'm not even 30.

My phone broke only cuz I tried to fix the failing battery... tried to pull of the back but ended up tearing a strip of something and the display stopped working. Before that I used an old metallic blue Samsung flip phone which had a pull-out keyboard. Honestly I prefer that to a smartphone.

My younger sister regularly refers to me as "the old generation", my second younger sister, older than the one previously mentioned, regularly uses "the youth these days" in reference to anyone who's younger than her, even by just few months..

I've had four smartphones in my life and none of them have broken ('broken' being 'literally can't use them' here), I've just upgraded them for various reasons like:
  • My first one was a crappy POS prepaid Alcatel one that cost like $70 and was a piece of fucking shit with 8 GB internal storage (but Android took up about 4 GB of that) and I had to basically clear out the cache to free up space multiple times each day because even just browsing the web for a few hours on it would bring my available storage down to the hundreds of megabytes.
  • My second one was this rando unlocked one that was $120 called the Schok Freedom Turbo that I just bought because the previous phone was total piece of shit that I couldn't deal with anymore that was working...fine enough for what it was. At least until the micro-USB port stopped working and I had to buy an external battery charger and would have to physically remove the battery from the phone to charge it. Also the battery went to complete ass, I could have the phone battery at 85% and do some light web browsing for half an hour and it'd drop from 85 to 40%, sometimes even into the 30s.
  • Third one was a Moto G6, which I got when it was about a year old. Honestly that phone was totally fine (except for the fact that I cracked the back of it a day after I got it and it of course happened soon after I ordered a case for it), I just upgraded it because some apps were getting a bit slow and it was running a 32-bit version of Android and Android apps are dropping support for 32-bit devices so some games I wanted to play either wouldn't work at all on it or dropped support for it.
  • Fourth and current smartphone is a Moto G Stylus 2021. Honestly, it hits everything I want with a phone - nice and big screen (6.8 inches), 4 GB RAM, 128 GB of storage (with microSD expansion if I need more space), headphone jack, a stylus (I'm just gonna say this right now - styluses are way better for interacting with touch screens than fingers). It does everything I need it to do just fine and I don't really see a reason to upgrade it just yet, might upgrade it next year though just because I think four years is enough time between phones to upgrade.

Before my smartphones I had a Motorola flip phone in high school. Wasn't a Razr, I wasn't cool enough to have a Razr.

iPhone gang here. They're comfy and easy to wear [use].

I agree that it's creepy when older people tell young folks that they're 'mature' for their age. Despite that, I think intent matters. It worries me personally. Why are they so mature? I didn't mature until my mid-twenties. Before then, I feel like I was mindlessly following the whims of others.

Don't be a weirdo, there are plenty of fish your age in the sea.

Do you guys know about Mega Cat Project ?
If they released a line of figures for Pokémon, which characters would you like to see ?

Back
Top Bottom