• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview BW090: The Junior Cup Gets Underway! Kairyu VS Tunbear!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Stephen isn't in this simply because of the huge amount of screentime he got in the previous tournament.

Not going to lie, Stephan did grow on me a little bit the last tourney. Overall though his character still feels flat to me, so while I would have liked to see Bianca here at least and defeat him, I can't say I'm that bothered by him not appearing. He is much better than Trip though, at least he has a personality even if it can be mundane and the name gag has long run its course.

Also, I know it may be a bit of a stretch to speculate this but I'm hoping Georgia actually quits and disqualifies herself mid-battle. I can totally see her being like: "You know what, fuck this shit! I can't be the best against a Dragon who is just doing whatever it wants against its trainer's commands. I have to defeat a Dragon with strategy involved and the trainer in sync with that Dragon. Iris fuck your lazy ass, our rivalry is not finished until you can fight me fairly."

Since it doesn't look like Burgundy and Cilan are battling each other, then I highly doubt their rivalry along with Iris and Georgia's rivalry will be over just yet. You just can't finish a rivalry that quickly and cheaply.

I really hope Georgia doesn't get beaten badly here. Her Beartic has been one of the most consistently strong mons in BW so far, and having it get owned would leave a very bitter taste in my mouth.

Either way, if it doesn't actually follow Iris commands, I really hope Georgia calls her out on it.

Of course, the ideal way this could be resolved without making Beartic getting the Worf effect, is that Iris commands one thing, Georgia readies Beartic for this, and Dragonite instead acts on instinct.

Or we could find out that the reason Georgia has an issue with Dragon-types is exactly a scenario like this, that she lost to rampaging Dragon pokemon because the trainer couldn't control it and it took the battle to far.

Which of course would make her furious at Iris, and even more motivated to get stronger.

Last edited:
So advertising and heavily implying in the opening that Bianca and Stephan were in this tournament and they aren't?

Considering lack of Cabernet and Langley, opening most likely shows rivals on pokemon league, not this tournament.

Dawn not meeting Stephan or Bianca?

She could meet them in league.

The girl standing next to Dawn in the scan looks a lot like Ursula, even if its probably just re-used art for a COTD. :p

O M G it must happen. XD That would actually make the tournament right there. Urara v Hikari finals. Calling it! :p

I really hope this battle will be a struggle and won't make Dragonite sweep with ease. Beartic needs to be depicted as strong to make this match worthwhile and meaningful just like the battle between Beartic and Excadrill.

Now that I think about it, wouldn't Beartic be considered the strongest Pokemon now seeing as how he beat Excadrill twice even after Excadrill's practice with Iris? It would be a massive slap to the face to both Excadrill and Beartic if Dragonite wins this battle easily.

Now that I think about it, wouldn't Beartic be considered the strongest Pokemon now seeing as how he beat Excadrill twice even after Excadrill's practice with Iris? It would be a massive slap to the face to both Excadrill and Beartic if Dragonite wins this battle easily.

The writers probably could care less who get's "slapped in the face". They're already giving Iris a Dragonite right before this tournament, while every other recurring character character (aside from maybe Burgundy's Darmanitan)are using Pokemon that have been trained over the course of their respective journey's. Langley already got screwed over, Dawn looks to be the next victim. Though hopefully she won't. Seems like naive hope at this point though.

I suspect Bianca and Stephan were shoved out of this tournament for time constraint reasons (Dawn being in this, Alder being involved in it, plus the Cynthia/Caitlin exhibition match), and personally I think they were booted so that Trip would stand a chance of making it past the first round this time. Now that Bianca isn't around to kick Trip's ass, he'll probably get a free pass into round 2 by beating a CotD. :p I think Stephan would have kicked his ass, too. And Cilan will likely be busy with other competitors so he won't be able to send Trip packing like he deserves. This tournament gets more and more bullshitty by the minute. Thanks a lot for the red herring, OP. :p (guess their cameos there are meant for the League, so they won't have to change the OP after the tournament ends very much)

Tis a pity; I would have liked to see them both here. As stated a while back, I really wanted Dawn and Bianca to meet because I think they would have great interactions based on how Bianca generally has a habit of losing a lot, and Dawn's no stranger to the concept of that. Could've sworn Bianca had some self-doubt issues too; something else Dawn could relate to. I would have far preferred to see that over Dawn bonding with Iris over the issue of disobedient Pokemon, especially since that element is very likely to aid Iris in her next undeserved victory. :p

Plus, Bianca/Burgundy/Georgia interaction was one of the few highlights of both Don Battles, so having Bianca absent is gonna feel a bit empty, even if they did try to shove a running gag on her (probably another reason she and Stephan have been cut from this). And while I'm really just lukewarm at best with Stephan, he's still leagues better than Trip.

So everything about this tournament is making me less and less interested in it; now I just want to see how bad of a trainwreck it'll be. :p The only saving grace of this particular episode (besides Cynthia/Caitlin) will be if they do more lampshading through Georgia about everything that's wrong with Iris as a character and her story/(lack of) development/Pokemon. Gotta have my fix of that, man. She's the only form of canon that points out these obvious flaws the rest of the canon world ignores. ._.

(where the heck is the general thread for the world tournament? I keep worrying I'll veer too far off topic from the episode...)
You know ,
I kind a want Ash's Pikachu to battle Trip's Serperior in Junior Cup!
Because I want both Ash's Pikachu & Snivy to beat Serperior but they can't beat the same pokemon twice in one Battle !
So , I will be happy if Pikachu reestablish himself by Beating Trip's Serperior in this Tournament So Ash can use another pokemon against Trip's Serperior in Unova League like Snivy , Leavanny or Oshawott !
Some people are going nut about Trip's Rival Status !
But Rivalry isn't about One Sided Superiority , Rivalry is more about relationship between Protagonist & Rival! So I think Writer should focus on Trip's acknowledging Ash in Junior Cup rather then focusing on his Rival Status!
After all , All good Rival acknowledge the Protagonist before there fated Showdown!
Unless , We are talking about Antagonistic Rival !
Wouldn't you Agree !!!
Thats why Rival like Blue (Adventure) ,Kikoya (Beyblade) & Seto Keida (Yugioh) are so popular despite the fact that they never really beaten the Protagonist!
I don't get why some people are so protective of Trip ? Are they feel sorry for him or They just like the way he look's!
It would be a lot more ironic If The First person Ash face in Junior Cup turn out to be Trip!!!
By the Way , Are you interested in any CotD in Junior Cup???
I'm interseted in the Girl standing beside Cabernet !

I here don't care how this battle goes and about this whole how Iris's disobedient Kairyu is handled and whatever.

I just like that Iris got another Dragon-type, that's it. And I mainly want to see this arc for character interactions.

No seriously, my lack of excitement for tournament arcs shows when I really don't care who wins or loses in them.

Last edited:
www.dotup.org3217579.jpg

new scan

Satoshi will use his Hahakomori? -_- It will be boring... duh! I wanted to see Kenhallow or Gantle or one of his previous Pokemon! But Hahakomori... He will be beaten in the first rounds for sure! At least Dawn is using Mamoswine (I was hoping for Togekiss anyway)

Totally right! If Iris beats Dawn I will go crazy! Dawn just returned and Iris will take all the attention on her already! I think she is the worst of Ash's all traveling friends!

Really?

I'm actually looking forward to Ash using Leavanny. Sure it didn't get a lot of time in its second stage, or really any, but at least they're not just gonna let it rot til the league.

....Although Palpitoad would have been nice too.

I'm also happy with Ash using Leavanny.

Sure, I'm not its biggest fan, but I thought it did quite good in its battle against Koffing, and it definitely deserves to show off some more of its skills that it put to great use during that battle. I doubt Ash and Leavanny will lose in the first round.

Besides, do we know for certain that you can only use one Pokémon throughout the entire tournament?

Yeah, after that battle with Koffing, I'm also interested about what else Leavanny can pull off during the tournament.

I really doubt Ash will lose the first round. Leavanny seems like it's a strong Pokemon, so I'd be surprised to see it get taken down.

He wont lose the first round, otherwise there is no point of Trip being there really- they wont get to battle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom