• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW139: Emonga Joins Rocket-dan!

Wait a nano... did I see that right? Exploud ATE Axew for a moment!? Well, before getting the worst "heartburn" shortly afterward, but that's... that's a new one... Now I've seen everything.

On the upside, glad to see some old antics back. Like Snivy's and Emolga's rivalry, Pignite taking no slag from Oshawott's antics and gluttony, Scraggy being Scraggy, and, of course, TRio going sky-high. I might consider watching this episode when the dub airs, if they don't royally screw it up. On top of that, Iris sure was a Grade A jerk today (well... not that she isn't always, but she reached a new level today in that department). I actually felt bad for Emolga, and she's can be as hard for me to tolerate as Iris can be at times. One of the many reasons I'll be glad to see Iris gone for good. Even Ash seemed to chew her out due to it, and usually it's the other way around in BW. And Emolga's "thought process" cracked me up.

Overall, a pretty good episode for a change, even for a filler. There might be hope for the anime yet. But better not get my hopes up juuussttt yet, as that's how I usually get suckered. But not too shabby this time around. If this keeps up, XY might restore some shine to the anime that BW tarnished (but, again, trying not to get my hopes up).

The faces and voices of the Rockets were hilarious and I really liked Emonga in this one. A good comedy episode.

This isn't the first time she's been MIA for most of an episode, either. Wonder why they're continuing to have her stick around.

It's probably been said before, but Alexa is probably going to be the person who suggests/inspires Ash go to Kalos, like Harrison for Hoenn and Gary for Sinnoh.

It's good to hear that the anime is retreading old ground with some success. At this rate, I wouldn't be worried about the TRio's characterizations in XY.

Well if alexa is the pokegirl for kalos then she will get at least 100 eps in gen 6 so there's no rush now.

Also mijumaru in pain always makes me chuckle.

Also anyone else hopes the exploud gets caught by TR?

Last edited:
Wait a nano... did I see that right? Exploud ATE Axew for a moment!? Well, before getting the worst "heartburn" shortly afterward, but that's... that's a new one... Now I've seen everything.

On the upside, glad to see some old antics back. Like Snivy's and Emolga's rivalry, Pignite taking no slag from Oshawott's antics and gluttony, Scraggy being Scraggy, and, of course, TRio going sky-high. I might consider watching this episode when the dub airs, if they don't royally screw it up. On top of that, Iris sure was a Grade A jerk today (well... not that she isn't always, but she reached a new level today in that department). I actually felt bad for Emolga, and she's can be as hard for me to tolerate as Iris can be at times. One of the many reasons I'll be glad to see Iris gone for good. Even Ash seemed to chew her out due to it, and usually it's the other way around in BW. And Emolga's "thought process" cracked me up.

Overall, a pretty good episode for a change, even for a filler. There might be hope for the anime yet. But better not get my hopes up juuussttt yet, as that's how I usually get suckered. But not too shabby this time around. If this keeps up, XY might restore some shine to the anime that BW tarnished (but, again, trying not to get my hopes up).

BW didn't tarnished the anime, if anything it saved the anime from being tarnished since the DP series did tarnished the anime enough already, i'm very sure XY will turn out to be a really great series and never go the DP route.

This episode was really good and interesting. Atleast the groups Pokemon still have the same good old personalities which is a good thing.

I was wondering if Team Rocket was gonna catch that Exploud. But then, a double ya na kanji!

Meowth pronouncing Z as "zed" amused me, for some reason.

fruitsmoothierevenge said:
Meowth pronouncing Z as "zed" amused me, for some reason.

Japan uses the UK / Australian / pretty-much-everywhere-except-the-US pronunciation of the letter Z.

Great episode, but I'm joining the "We hate Iris" club 3 episodes before she goes and hopefully never returns.

Emolga and TR were funny and I lold at Cilan in Emolga's fantasies: The spiky hair and the big tie.

The only thing that bothered me was that Crustle and Stunfisk weren't shown. OK Crustle's big, but they could have added Stunfisk near Pansage. It wouldn't have done anything, but we would know that he's alive.

PS. Didn't like Snivy in some scenes of this episode.

I hope the writers get their act together next saga cause this episode was just plain awful.

What exactly do Emolga and Snivy shout at each other? From the looks of the screencaps, Meowth is exasperatedly translating.

I find it wierd that the episode has aired but the credits aren't filled in yet. who was the animation director?

I find it wierd that the episode has aired but the credits aren't filled in yet. who was the animation director?

There you go, those who know japanese feel free to correct me:

Animation: Team Kato
Screenplay: Yukiyoshi Ōhashi
Storyboard/Assistant director: Kazuomi Koga
Animation director: Tatsuya Annoura

Key Animation List

Masaaki Iwane
Tatsuya Annoura
Chinatsu Ueno
Chisato Ikehira
Shindō Kawamura? *
Takao Ozone? **
酒井裕未 ***
Emi Mori
Satoshi Murata
Toshio Mori
河野仁美 ***

* Not sure.
** Again, not sure, either he is a new key animator or people in charge of credits got the name wrong (?) Makes sense to be him because according to other pages he is part of Studio Cockpit which has been doing animation for Pokemon since the begining.
*** New animator, couldn't find his/her name because there is no record of them doing any episodes before.

Last edited:
I hope the writers get their act together next saga cause this episode was just plain awful.

Will the writers...EVER learn?

30 minutes of horror music - atmospheric soundtracks volume 1 - YouTube

Probably not. They're gonna keep rehashing other episode plots.

Pokémon has been reusing old plots since the Johto region.

In fact, Kanto reused its bullshit "Sato proves himself to the gym leader and wins the badge inearnestly" plot to the death.

Surprise much its still happening a decade later? It really should be expected and accepted by now.

Will the writers...EVER learn?

30 minutes of horror music - atmospheric soundtracks volume 1 - YouTube

Probably not. They're gonna keep rehashing other episode plots.

Pokémon has been reusing old plots since the Johto region.

In fact, Kanto reused its bullshit "Sato proves himself to the gym leader and wins the badge inearnestly" plot to the death.

Surprise much its still happening a decade later? It really should be expected and accepted by now.

True: I agree. I'm not surprised...it's just that it seems like now almost every Da! episode has been a rehash of a prior episode. Not all of them, but most.

There you go, those who know japanese feel free to correct me:

Animation: Team Kato
Screenplay: Yukiyoshi Ōhashi
Storyboard/Assistant director: Kazuomi Koga
Animation director: Tatsuya Annoura

Key Animation List

Masaaki Iwane
Tatsuya Annoura
Chinatsu Ueno
Chisato Ikehira
Shindō Kawamura? *
Takao Ozone? **
酒井裕未 ***
Emi Mori
Satoshi Murata
Toshio Mori
河野仁美 ***

* Not sure.
** Again, not sure, either he is a new key animator or people in charge of credits got the name wrong (?) Makes sense to be him because according to other pages he is part of Studio Cockpit which has been doing animation for Pokemon since the begining.
*** New animator, couldn't find his/her name because there is no record of them doing any episodes before.
Akihiro-chan maybe?

I forgot his last name. Sorry!

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom