• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Changes & Additions to Unova - Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heh, I entered Hilbert's room today and found a King's Rock.

That's some nice symbolism.

The whole king/prince of Unova thing, in my opinion.
If you're referring to the king from the Abyssal Ruins, we know now that he lived long ago; there is no apparent connection to any of the player characters. Besides, his token item is the Relic Crown, which remains put in the ruins as if Hilbert/Hilda never found it.

If you're referring to the king from the Abyssal Ruins, we know now that he lived long ago; there is no apparent connection to any of the player characters. Besides, his token item is the Relic Crown, which remains put in the ruins as if Hilbert/Hilda never found it.
It's my own interpretation as I feel like finding a King's Rock inside Hilbert's room of all people was kind of strange? What was it doing there? Random much? I merely feel like it symbolizes one prince prevailing over the other (Hilbert over N at the end of BW) thus marking the crowning of a new king, Hilbert. Of course, it could also mean nothing, but I like to think it's the latter.

It's my own interpretation as I feel like finding a King's Rock inside Hilbert's room of all people was kind of strange? What was it doing there? Random much? I merely feel like it symbolizes one prince prevailing over the other (Hilbert over N at the end of BW) thus marking the crowning of a new king, Hilbert. Of course, it could also mean nothing, but I like to think it's the latter.
I'm not saying that your interpretation is wrong, but considering that Hilbert/Hilda isn't even in Unova anymore, would you really call them the king/queen of the region? If anything, your interpretation implies that the Kyouhei/Mei is now the king/queen due to taking the King's Rock. Also, no one but Team Plasma (and not all of them at that) considered N to be a king, and he himself never tells any of the protagonists that they've replaced him; he probably regrets being crowned in the first place.

I honestly don't think that the King's Rock means anything. Game Freak love to put items in random places.

I'm not saying that your interpretation is wrong, but considering that Hilbert/Hilda isn't even in Unova anymore, would you really call them the king/queen of the region? If anything, your interpretation implies that the Kyouhei/Mei is now the king due to taking the King's Rock. Also, no one but Team Plasma (and not all of them at that) considered N to be a king, and he himself never tells any of the protagonists that they've replaced him; he probably regrets being crowned in the first place.
Oh, I'm not involving Kyouhei/Mei into any of this.

Hilbert/Hilda isn't in Unova anymore.

Look at it this way. Two heroes, each with respective beliefs. If we assume that both of them were princes (like the two princes in the movie 14), only one of them can become a king. A hero of truth and a hero of ideals clash and only one can come out on top. Hilbert wins and N, the other one, realizes he made some mistakes and leaves. This all fits perfectly with the climax of BW where one hero/prince comes out on top over the other one.

Why did Hilbert go looking for N?

Did the newly crowned king realize he couldn't rule over the kingdom by himself, leaving the crown (the duty of being a king) to pursue his brother? Just like Hilbert left his "crown" and went off to find N? I don't think my theory holds water but I'm still rather curious.

I honestly don't think that the King's Rock means anything. Game Freak love to put items in random places.
Well, that's highly likely too. It just got me thinking. ^^;

Look at it this way. Two heroes, each with respective beliefs. If we assume that both of them were princes (like the two princes in the movie 14), only one of them can become a king. A hero of truth and a hero of ideals clash and only one can come out on top. Hilbert wins and N, the other one, realizes he made some mistakes and leaves. This all fits perfectly with the climax of BW where one hero/prince comes out on top over the other one.
The climax of Black and White had N tell Hilbert/Hilda that they should follow their dream, which he also references in the sequels. You're free to think that this dream entails being the king of Unova, but I don't think the events of the sequels support that impression.

Why did Hilbert go looking for N?
That's really the million dollar question here. Unfortunately, I find it hard to theorize about this when it seems that Game Freak simply wanted to remove the previous protagonists from the sequels. Before the games' release I had thought that Hilbert/Hilda might be looking for N in another region to warn him about Ghetsis' intentions; this might have actually been the case, but it's rather pointless to think about it now since we know that N never got to see Hilbert/Hilda again. The truth is that Hilbert/Hilda jeopardized Unova by leaving.

Did the newly crowned king realize he couldn't rule over the kingdom by himself, leaving the crown (the duty of being a king) to pursue his brother? Just like Hilbert left his "crown" and went off to find N? I don't think my theory holds water but I'm still rather curious.
What do you mean by this analogy? Neither the twin heroes of the games nor those of Movie 14 had a story that ended with one hero winning over the other and becoming the king. As far as we know there has only ever been one king in Unova (N doesn't count), who didn't have a counterpart.

Last edited:
That's really the million dollar question here. Unfortunately, I find it hard to theorize about this when it seems that Game Freak simply wanted to remove the previous protagonists from the sequels. Before the games' release I had thought that Hilbert/Hilda might be looking for N in another region to warn him about Ghetsis' intentions, which might have still been the case, but it's rather pointless to think about it now since we know that N never got to see Hilbert/Hilda again. The truth is that Hilbert/Hilda jeopardized Unova by leaving.
I guess you're right. But how did Hilbert/Hilda jeopardize Unova? Team Plasma was gone after the events of BW, well, the majority of it anyway. They were no real treat. Perhaps N went after Hilbert/Hilda since he needed the help against Kyurem? Though the more I think about this, the more I feel like they used this "went looking for N" as an excuse for not having them present in the sequels for some reason.

What do you mean by this analogy? Neither the twin heroes of the games nor those of Movie 14 had a story that ended with one hero winning over the other and becoming the king.
Well, it's true that a prince becoming a king is never mentioned, but in movie 14 at least, they start a war over their beliefs. It's only natural that both of them had their own idea of how a kingdom should be ruled - and a kingdom needs its king, after all.

Like I said, my theory holds no water. Most of it is comprised out of speculation and anime facts that don't really have any importance in regards to the games, but I just like thinking about it. I'm most likely wrong, so yeah. xD

But how did Hilbert/Hilda jeopardize Unova? Team Plasma was gone after the events of BW, well, the majority of it anyway. They were no real treat.
They were definitely planning a comeback, and everyone knew that Ghetsis was still at large and that it was unlikely he had given up. The Shadow Triad were so suspicious when they last met Hilbert/Hilda, that I don't see how the latter could have actually believed that Team Plasma were no longer a threat. Then again, Game Freak didn't plan to release sequels at first. We don't know when exactly Hilbert/Hilda left Unova, but either way, they jeopardized Unova regardless of whether or not they were aware of it. Cheren even says that he wishes they were still around, as he doesn't seem to have complete faith in Kyouhei/Mei (at least not before all is said and done).

Perhaps N went after Hilbert/Hilda since he needed the help against Kyurem?
Don't you mean it the other way around? But that doesn't make much sense, either, since Hilbert/Hilda should be more than capable of handling Kyurem.

Though the more I think about this, the more I feel like they used this "went looking for N" as an excuse for not having them present in the sequels for some reason.
That seems to be the inevitable conclusion.

Tachiwaki being Virbank is likely based on Burbank near Hollywood, Sangi Town could be Hillsborough Township/ Duke Farms, and Hiougi is likely as you mentioned New Brunswick Campus.

Uhm, I'm pretty sure Tachiwaki is Jersey City (most of the people I've talked to that are better with location names to visuals are pretty much in agreement with that). While I suppose the english name has connections to Burbank, I don't think the location itself is actually based on it. It would also be way disconnected with everything else too, as far are relating to everything else in the region.
And the fact that Sangi Town and Yamagi City have rural central american buildings doesn't disconnect them at all?

I'm not saying that your interpretation is wrong, but considering that Hilbert/Hilda isn't even in Unova anymore, would you really call them the king/queen of the region? If anything, your interpretation implies that the Kyouhei/Mei is now the king/queen due to taking the King's Rock. Also, no one but Team Plasma (and not all of them at that) considered N to be a king, and he himself never tells any of the protagonists that they've replaced him; he probably regrets being crowned in the first place.

Yeah, GF puts items in random places, but item inside houses are several times scarcer. I agree with Tsutarja about the symbolism, I mean, 200+ different items to put there and they go for King's Rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom