• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Cowboy Bebop: The Live-Action Movie, Starring...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrnMarvl14

Lying
Reaction score
Keanu Reeves.

Keanu Reeves is set to add another genre project to his resume, as the trades are reporting that he will star in a live action version of Cowboy Bebop for Twentieth Century Fox, based on the anime series. This confirms reports that Reeves would have some role in the live action version that have been circulating since summer.

Reeves will play Spike Spiegel, as described by The Hollywood Reporter: a bounty hunter and former member of a crime syndicate. Spiegel, along with Jet Black, a fellow bounty hunter and former cop, are the two pilots of the spaceship Bebop.

The script for the adaptation is being written by Peter Craig.

The show debuted in Japan in the late ‘90s, and quickly crossed the Pacific to become a cult favorite among anime fans, and saw broad exposure via Cartoon Network’s Adult Swim lineup of programming.

From THR: Erwin Stoff, Reeves' longtime manager, is producing through 3 Arts. Joshua Long will serve as executive producer.

Sunrise president Kenji Uchida, the TV series' director of animation, Shinichiro Watanabe, and series writer Keiko Nobumoto will serve as associate producers. Series producer Masahiko Minami will serve as production consultant.

I won't lie, I actually like the guy, I don't know that I can see him playing the part of Spike just yet. Die hard fans will probably never be satisfied. Nevertheless, I'm quite excited to see what unfolds.

Edit: we just need Megan Fox playing Faye then we'll be good to go xD

Just cast Samuel L Jackson as Jet and I will be happy.

And Dakota Fanning as Ed.

As long as they keep the music or very close stylistically, and Faye is true to her anime origins, I think I'll see it. Don't know how well I'll like it though, but I think it could turn out pretty well.

*headpalm*

God fucking damnit. Just take everything I love AND DESTROY IT. D: Of course I'll still probably see it...

*headpalm*

God fucking damnit. Just take everything I love AND DESTROY IT. D: Of course I'll still probably see it...

Hey at least they didn't make the leading cast member a plank of wood with an angry face drawn on i- Oh shit.

I've got hope for this movie that it'll be more like Star Trek (2009) and less like Dragonball (2009) because of how much fans they are and the interaction with the series creators.

I sat on the idea a lot, because rumors have been around for a while, but I can see Keanu doing a good job, he just has to be able to act outside of his normal roles. (Be a bit more springy and charismatic). Still, I really hope the approach they make to this movie will be similar to the Anime movie and make it a side story: keeping characters true to their originals, but allowing the Hollywood writer their creative freedom.
------

edit:
Just cast Samuel L Jackson as Jet and I will be happy.

And Dakota Fanning as Ed.

LOL!!
Those are the exact two people I pictured to play those roles, hilarious! The only thing, I thought Dakota Fanning may be too old to play the part, but in the "Push" movie she looks young enough so maybe it'll be alright.

Last edited:
I refuse to believe this is true. Seriously, I do.

man its just like the DBZ movie exept this 1 i might go see xD

This is no where near as bad as the Dragonball movie, I mean, for one Keanu is actually a big fan of the show (I swear hearing it a long time ago, or seeing him cosplay as Spike, but maybe not... hopefully he'll turn out better here though) and he's work with with the crew in the past.

Chatwin never really admitted to being a fan of the series as far as I've read, and he's not too old for this series, so unless he grew up in a bubble part of the country he probably never liked it.

This is no where near as bad as the Dragonball movie, I mean, for one Keanu is actually a big fan of the show (I swear hearing it a long time ago, or seeing him cosplay as Spike, but maybe not... hopefully he'll turn out better here though) and he's work with with the crew in the past.

Keanu better have a badass fro. That's all I'm gonna say.

Also, I think CB will translate better as a movie because CB uses Western genres (crime, sci-fi, noir, buddy) and a very western plot, while Dragonball is a movie based on very Eastern themes.

Simply put, an American studio was not the kind that should have handled Dragonball.

Reading this, makes me feel more comfortable.

Updates from ANN

3 Arts Entertainment producer Erwin Stoff (The Matrix, I am Legend, Kings) has told the iFMagazine.com website that the live-action Cowboy Bebop film in development will not be an origin story. “We start with [the main character, bounty hunter Spike Spiegel], when he is in his present life already.” He also emphasized that the producers began the project by meeting with Shinichiro Watanabe, the director of Sunrise's original Cowboy Bebop science-fiction anime series. "He will be the first guy to read a script when it's done. We'll discuss directors with him." While screenwriter Peter Craig has yet to finish the script, Stoff hopes to make the film next year and expects it will have a "totally multi-ethnic cast."

The iFMagazine.com site first reported on the film proposal last July after the parties "just signed it the other day." Last month, actor Keanu Reeves expressed his interest in starring, and initially indicated that the story will be partly based on the "Red Eye" storyline from the first episode of the anime series. Sunrise officially announced the project last week with Twentieth Century Fox, 3 Arts Entertainment, Reeves, and Stoff. Sunrise President Kenji Uchida, Watanabe, and the original series script supervisor Keiko Nobumoto will act as associate producers, while Sunrise and Masahiko Minami (former Sunrise producer and BONES studio co-founder) will consult on the production.

This movie is either going to be awesomely good (like the first Matrix) or incredibly bad (like Matrix: Revolutions).

This movie is either going to be awesomely good (like the first Matrix) or incredibly bad (like Matrix: Revolutions).
Hopefully, It will be awesomely good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom