• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

DEBATE!!! Best match for Satoshi (Ash)?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought there already was one these threads lying around, but since no one's complaining, I'd give it a go.

This thread to me has no meaning cause these are all one-sided. But if Ash was like other boys, I'd see potential with Misty (maybe because how 4Kids brainwashed us, who knows). I can't think of anyone else except for the arc-characters Anabel and the new girl, "Aoi". Can't say anything about Dawn. And May absolutely no.

May is my choice.

They just look adorable together.

Oh, this'll be fun I pick Gary. why? well, I'll tell ya.

Why Gary:
1. Ash has a reckless, hands-on personality. Gary on the other hand, thinks things through. I think Ash needs someone calm like Gary to keep him under control. We even saw this in DP045 when Gary stopped Ash from charging into Hunter J's clutches :p
2. No one gets under Ash's skin like Gary. Has anyone noticed anything Gary says Ash makes a big deal over?
3. Gary keeps Ash moving. Plus Ash FANTASIZES talking to him.
4. Gary only pays attention to Ash and his Grandpa. seriously, did he ever really talk to Misty/Brock/Dawn directly for more than a few moments? Ash on the other hand, is his main topic
5. Gary goes out of the way to mention Ash. He wrote on that sign in early Kanto "Gary was here, Ash is a looser" and then, on TV he mentioned Ash yet again.
6. Because they compared Krabby sizes LOL

Last edited:
My thoughts on the three girls attitudes toward Ash:

Misty: Yes, its fairly obvious she really liked Ash for the first 5 seasons. However now that they've been apart for so long and Misty rarely sees him anymore, it remains to be seen if she still feels the same way. Childhood crushes disappear when you're no longer in contact with the person, and Misty and Ash have had very little interaction since the end of Johto.

May: I worked on the assumption that she admired Ash during the early Hoenn era for being a strong trainer, but as the show went on she started to take Drew's advice for Contests and just started getting more absorbed into Contests in general. There's also the fact that May blushes over Drew a number of times during the end of AG, starting from the Hoenn Grand Festival, through a lot of Battle Frontier, so she seems to be attracted to Drew at least.

When May returns to Sinnoh though she actually kept the half ribbon she split with Ash, and so did he apparently. At this point I think they're just going to remain good friends and May is going to be followed (or rather stick with) Drew, Harley and Solidad for the rest of her Contest quest. Drew's a lot nicer toward her now than he used to be and there's obvious attraction between the two as we went on.

Dawn: Its really hard to say about this one. The two have a lot of interaction together but they do kinda act like siblings most of the time. It doesn't help matters that Dawn is hit on by so many people in Sinnoh:

- Kenny blushes over Dawn in a dress
- Zoey is obsessed over her
- Conway spys and stalks Dawn in the school arc

I also don't think Dawn will have any qualms splitting with Ash's group if she decides to travel by her own at the end of Sinnoh. There's a strong possibility she'll go off to another region with Zoey/Kenny after D/P ends, just like May did with her rivals.

Macey: We'll never see her again.

Melody: We'll never see her again.

Latias: We'll never see her again.

Anabel: We'll never see her again.

Aoi: She might re-appear, but we don't know. She might also never appear again.

Gary: I don't think Ash is interested in him THAT way. Although I'm not a fan of yaoi in general. :p

Paul: No.

Brock: He's like the most straight character in Pokemon ever. When has Brock ever fantasized about anyone who isn't female?

Pikachu: lolz.

Delia: Yes.

The end.

Eh well for the girls Ash has traveled with let's see..

Misty ~ If I had to choose out of the 3 girls, I'd say Misty was more likely to be matched up with Ash than the other two. Misty showed attraction to Ash during her period with Ash, although she probably doesn't feel the same way now, as was stated before.

May ~ I never really saw any type of affection for Ash from her. Drew and May look better together anyway.

Dawn ~ As Scott said, it seems like Ash and Dawn have a sibling relationship rather than love for each other. I think Dawn could end up with like Kenny or something.

As for the other choices, Anabel would be a good match for Ash but she won't return most likely. Lol, why does it seem like it's really only tomboys that start to like Ash?

Since this is a debate forum, I am going to analyze a few shippings. Keep in mind that I am of the mindset that shippings are supposed to be fun and not Serious Business, so I don't care if any become canon, and I will support ludicrous ships.

Anabel: I don't like this ship primarily because it felt forced to me. They took the most important Frontier Brain and stuck her in the show for cheap Ship Tease. That ticks me off, although not as much as a dubbing company adding in ship tease not present in the original series.

Latias: Eh, it's obvious that this is not going to happen, and her character hasn't been developed enough to decide. But it's a fun ship, if only for the Pokephilia implications.

Gary: Surprisingly, this is not all that implausible. Homosexual pairings are not met with the same aversion in Japan as in America, and it's not like they haven't been canon before. If something as obscure as Dumbledore x Grindelwald can be canon (sort of), then this could happen. I can't really see the connection, though, but that's probably because I only watched the English dub.

Misty: Why the heck is Pokeshipping so popular? Because it came first (actually, Rocketshipping came first, but that's a different story) and 4Kids has been pushing it on us even after Misty's departure? I really can't see a good romantic relationship forming between the two, because Misty would dominate too much. Even Gary shows more respect for Ash's aptitudes, although that happened after Johto. And the last one's a crappy reason, but the fanatical Pokeshippers, most of all 4Kids, who just had to obsess over Misty and Pokeshipping even after Misty left, turned me off.

May: Whether you see it more as mere friendly admiration or something more, I think they have good chemistry, because they genuinely support each other. Yeah, there is harsh competition with Drew, but it hasn't been shot down yet (then again, I'm probably so dense that I can't notice dead ships unless the author explicitly shoots it dead, like J.K. Rowling and Harry x Hermione). Ironically, the fact that Contestshipping has a higher chance of happening actualy makes me like Advanceshipping more, because it would mean Ash would have to work hard to compete with a guy that has everything going for him in romance. And heck, I'm just weird that way.

Sammy: One word suffices: Sicko.

Melody: I don't really think she was actually interested in Ash. It's probably just a flirtatous personality.

Last edited:
You do know Sammy was just Professor Oak when he was a kid if you seen the ending of Pokemon 4Ever it shows Oak looking at the picture of Pikachu and Celebi sleeping together and besides I still like the Pokeshipping I mean sure Advanceshipping might happen but Misty was traveling with Ash since the Indigo,League,The Orange Islands and Johto and Pearlshipping I just think of Ash and Dawn as brother and sister so to speak

If your talking about pokemon terms than yeah Pikachu is the best pokemon that Ash has

Scott85 said:
It doesn't help matters that Dawn is hit on by so many people in Sinnoh:

- Kenny blushes over Dawn in a dress
- Zoey is obsessed over her
- Conway spys and stalks Dawn in the school arc

I wouldn't call these instances "hitting on her". Isn't "hitting on" mean to be flirting? Correct me if I'm wrong. I find Zoey to be a nuisance, Conway the creepy stalker and Kenny the childhood love interest thingy that'll go on for a while. Dawn getting "hit on" by Zoey would be irritating, by Conway it'd be awkward, but by Kenny we'd probably see blushes.

MetaRobo said:
Anabel: I don't like this ship primarily because it felt forced to me. They took the most important Frontier Brain and stuck her in the show for cheap Ship Tease. That ticks me off, although not as much as a dubbing company adding in ship tease not present in the original series.

Well it's not everyday that we see Ash (or any outside character, except maybe Drew) find themselves attracted to him. So it doesn't annoy me at all since the show's mainly on Pocket Monsters.

About Gary, when you're bringing that into the picture, you've got my attention. But there's no comparison between them and Gary because Gary isn't like that.

May: Whether you see it more as mere friendly admiration or something more, I think they have good chemistry, because they genuinely support each other. Yeah, there is harsh competition with Drew, but it hasn't been shot down yet (then again, I'm probably so dense that I can't notice dead ships unless the author explicitly shoots it dead, like J.K. Rowling and Harry x Hermione). Ironically, the fact that Contestshipping has a higher chance of happening actualy makes me like Advanceshipping more, because it would mean Ash would have to work hard to compete with a guy that has everything going for him in romance. And heck, I'm just weird that way.

One thing that I notice with Advanceshippers, is that they tend to be Harmony shippers as well. You're probably the third or fourth case I've seen. What do you find similar to Harmony with Advanceshipping? You really can't compare any Pokemon ship here with HP. It doesn't work that way. You're comparing a book that holds true value against an anime that's heavily depended on the games. This is the only exception I see with Pokemon games, and not every game/anime. Those actually have stories, characters, personalities, emotions, etc. I just don't see this with Pokemon very well. Mostly it's the human-to-Pokemon platonic relationship, and the "romances" we see are just the writers teasing with us and the main character, with no meaning. End note: JKR did NOT shoot down H/Hr. It was gone from the beginning of the series. What she did shoot down was Harry/Luna. :( :p

It makes me now wonder, in Movie 2, where was all that "flirting" going anyway? Who were they trying to entertain? There really was no place for it, the writers (and 4Kids) just put it there to play with our minds. Such relationships would've had its roots a while ago, but we've seen nothing of the sort, and they decide to put it there? Then we see Drew and May where they sort of go with that pairing, and here comes Kenny and Dawn, but I'm really unsure about all this. In books you can tell where they're going by the number of hints they throw at you. You see this a little bit between Drew and May, and almost in Kenny, but it's so completely one-sided with Ash and Misty that I call them "one-sided crushes".

It was just in Gotta Catch You Later when Pokeshipping was seen because the flashback mostly shown Ash and Misty besides I don't really like Kenny anyways

It was just in Gotta Catch You Later when Pokeshipping was seen because the flashback mostly shown Ash and Misty

The scenes used in the dubbed version were different from the ones in the Japanese version. The fact that there were so many scenes with just them proves that 4Kids was trying to push Misty's crush on Ash further than it was in the original version.

If you don't believe me, let Dogasu tell you:
http://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/comparisons/jouto/ep275.html

Here are the original screenshots themselves:
http://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/comparisons/jouto/ep275_flashback/ep275_pictures.html

The original felt more like a farewell to a beloved main character. You only get some scenes with Misty and another character but for the most part it was just her.

For the 4Kids version, here's a Youtube video of the dub:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OooBSwjiGNo

They had screenshots of the second and third openings in the goodbye song of the dub! You can tell how hard 4Kids was trying to push this pairing considering the part in the Johto opening when they only see the brief shot when only Ash and Misty are running beside each other until Brock appears. However in the dub, he is conveniently absent.

One thing that I notice with Advanceshippers, is that they tend to be Harmony shippers as well. You're probably the third or fourth case I've seen. What do you find similar to Harmony with Advanceshipping? You really can't compare any Pokemon ship here with HP. It doesn't work that way. You're comparing a book that holds true value against an anime that's heavily depended on the games. This is the only exception I see with Pokemon games, and not every game/anime. Those actually have stories, characters, personalities, emotions, etc. I just don't see this with Pokemon very well. Mostly it's the human-to-Pokemon platonic relationship, and the "romances" we see are just the writers teasing with us and the main character, with no meaning. End note: JKR did NOT shoot down H/Hr. It was gone from the beginning of the series. What she did shoot down was Harry/Luna. :( :p

Actually, I like the idea of Harry x Hermione, but the sheer insanity of its adherents turned me off actually openly supporting it, and Ron x Hermione was more obvious anyways (especially in the movies). And yes, I'm fairly ignorant about these kinds of things, because I didn't confirm the ship to be dead for sure until Harry openly stated that there was no relationship in response to the Rita Skeeter article in Book 4.

I only draw a comparison to Harmony shipping because I have a premonition that Advanceshipping is headed a similar direction. Realistically, it's probably for the better that Ash doesn't end up in a relationship or it would be downright awkward with his rotating female companions. I draw a comparison yet again to Doctor Who, in which Rose's removal from the cast let to the Doctor constantly wangsting about her across the third new season, which is especially irritating considering how fanbases tend to be about this sort of thing. On the other hand, it would be weird if May didn't get into romance in the end, because most anime characters of her ilk (shojo) do, I think.

About Gary, when you're bringing that into the picture, you've got my attention. But there's no comparison between them and Gary because Gary isn't like that.
Whats interesting? do you think its the most obvious thing since sliced bread that the dubbers are arfaid wont go over well with American children? cuz i do ^^

The scenes used in the dubbed version were different from the ones in the Japanese version. The fact that there were so many scenes with just them proves that 4Kids was trying to push Misty's crush on Ash further than it was in the original version.

If you don't believe me, let Dogasu tell you:
http://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/comparisons/jouto/ep275.html

Here are the original screenshots themselves:
http://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/comparisons/jouto/ep275_flashback/ep275_pictures.html

The original felt more like a farewell to a beloved main character. You only get some scenes with Misty and another character but for the most part it was just her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1qblwpZxec
And here's the original clip~ :3

MetaRobo said:
Actually, I like the idea of Harry x Hermione, but the sheer insanity of its adherents turned me off actually openly supporting it, and Ron x Hermione was more obvious anyways (especially in the movies). And yes, I'm fairly ignorant about these kinds of things, because I didn't confirm the ship to be dead for sure until Harry openly stated that there was no relationship in response to the Rita Skeeter article in Book 4.

What do you mean by "sheer insanity of its adherents"? If anything, that line in GoF was probably one of the many "forced", obvious hints given by JKR that there really is no such thing going on between the two. Oh, and I wouldn't say especially the movies. One of them has indeed butchered it which has angered me, but the latest helped relieve that bitterness.

I only draw a comparison to Harmony shipping because I have a premonition that Advanceshipping is headed a similar direction.

Ah, ok. Yes, I can see it too. That's why I agreed with Drew/May because in terms of where the anime was going, it made sense.

On the other hand, it would be weird if May didn't get into romance in the end, because most anime characters of her ilk (shojo) do, I think.

Well the blushing gave it away...

pikachu200 said:
What's the Harmonyshipping pair?

Outside Pokemon reference.

Mooites said:
Whats interesting? do you think its the most obvious thing since sliced bread that the dubbers are arfaid wont go over well with American children? cuz i do ^^

Don't worry about it, I'm just replying to what MegaRobo said.

Well i think that for May it could be either Ash or Drew. both shippings showed very convicing hints. at first May did admier Ash for a strong trainer and he did help her how to catch pokemon and how to train then but as the show went on Drew made an appearence to the show. then she started to listen to him more but they did fight alot and yes she did blush at a few times but didn't she blush a few times when they said she like ash or something? so what im saying for May it could be either Ash or Drew and for Ash it could be either Misty of May.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom