• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Did you like Piplup/Pochama's character in Diamond and Pearl?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Did you like Piplup's character in Diamond and Pearl?

I honestly thought that a lot of Piplup's annoyingness came from Dawn and the way she coddled it all the time.

In general, though, I think they did well with working on an interesting character for him but tried a little too hard to make us like the damn thing and ended up getting a backwards result lol. Guess his overexposure is to be expected though, since D/P was referred to as Ash and Dawn's journey and Piplup was Dawn's equivalent of Pikachu.

All-in-all, I found that he got a bit annoying as he got more episodes dedicated to him. So guess I don't exactly like him. But I will admit he's had his memorable moments!

498.jpg

Last edited:

Meh, I was largely indiferent to the little penguin. He got too many episodes, yes, but I not all of them were bad and I was always amused by his getting beat up by Draco Meteor. Though I realize that I'm in the minority since I'm usually a sucker for running gags. I suppose that by accepting his character for what the writers intended for him to be (that was obviously not too well-received by the fans), I found it easier to tolerate him.

I'm just simply indifferent.

Piplup was horribly annoying and made me want to stab my ears out.

Potchama, on the other hand, made me smile.

Piplup, Pikachu, Axew, and Togepi were all "meh". Of the four, though, I can say I liked Togepi the least, and Piplup the second-least.

I like Piplup as a pokemon in the games, and therefore I liked him in the anime as well. His prideful attitude was cute to me XDD

You know that saying, be careful what you wish for? Well that's exactly what happened when I WISHED for the next main girl to have a starter that was utilized more uniquely in its first stage. Frankly, my Fairy Godfather was way the fuck off because Piplup by all means was not an intention, but a misguided intervention. It was not a dream of a pokemon, it was a nightmare. Frankly, it also is responsible for several other problems in the show, for example:

1.) Piplup being outside of it's ball 24/7 not only was an eyesore, but a huge detriment in Pikachu's character. Pikachu became unlikely at times because they were like twins unfortunately, and had Pikachu been given the same treatment battle wise that he now gets back in DP, he would have been seen as unforgivable.

2.) Its screentime took away from other Pokemon of Dawn's and/or other characters. Seriously, I could have used an episode about Buneary, and extra one for the Grand Festival or the League, or more Ursula episodes than another Piplup one. Seriously, they were not needed, and I did not enjoy them at the very least even.

3.) The fact that it didn't want to evolve wasn't the problem, because I'll admit I have a soft spot for Ash's Bulbasaur, but the tantrum it threw in that evolution episode, so big to where it almost seemed as if Dawn was a villain for even getting excited, was a bunch of bull shit.

4.) And then its fucking voice.....

There are way too many reasons to detest Piplup, but I will say this, in the beginning, it was tolerable and likeable to an extent. After a while, it became just plain whack. This does not take away from some of its battles, but just in terms of likeness.....hell to the No!

Haha, there is no doubt in my mind that Piplup was created to make up for the "mistakes" with how May's Torchic was handled, but then the writers went and created a whole bunch of new mistakes with Piplup itself! LOL!

Even though I never really minded that Torchic barely did anything until evolving, I loved Combusken in every appearance so it didn't matter to me.

But with Pipulp, we had to sit through the thing for nearly 190 episodes where it got at least one or two scenes in every episode, even the heavy Ash-centric ones.

And the fact that it really did hog screentime in most of Dawn's battles/appeals didn't help.

The only out of the Ball Pokemon that I like is Pikachu. The reason for Piplup's role was so Dawn could be even more like Ash. Also, I really hated both his Japanese and English voices so much! At least Togepi and Axew have cute voices, not squeaky, annoying voices. I also hated him because he wouldn't evolve so we were stuck with him and his voice all series long. But I do have to admit that I could tolerate him before DP: Battle Dimensions.

I absolutely loved him. He is one of my favorite Pokemon to this day.

i loved piplup's constant extreme facial expressions! xD
i thought he was funny... but maybe i'm too childish ^^;

i haven't seen a whole lot of the new episodes since i don't have cable... if you guys know a good place to stream them and they're high quality please tell me ^^

The only things I really disliked about the little penguin was his "comedy falling"-Gag (which, isn't funny in the first place and it's rediculous) and the most pointless Piplup-Cyndaquil thing. God, why did they every created that?

Aside from that, I don't have problems with him. He is adorable, loyal, funny and I agree with Dogasu that the Original Piplup is way better.

Last edited:
This question gets a not-so-straightforward answer from me for the simple reason that, while Piplup got on my nerves I thought Pochama was adorable. It was all to do with the voice-work, and Michele Knotz screwed up big time when she gave Piplup the cutesy Torchic-like voice rather than trying to copy what Etsuko Kozakura had performed.

What is this about Piplup?

Something about him becoming the new Pikachu or something? Ever since I've joined the boards I've been seeing a lot of animosity/hatred of the pokemon and wondered what brought this on.

Re: What is this about Piplup?

That mostly has to do with how Piplup was treated in the anime. It was basically made out to be like Pikachu by not evolving and always being out of its pokeball. Most of the hate comes from that one particular Piplup in the anime that belongs to Dawn.

It's a darn shame, too, because while I do agree Piplup can be a little annoying, Pochama is just too cute for words! D8 This is why I wish Pokemon could be released subbed worldwide. I never liked the Pochama hate myself, but that's because DP is my favorite of the Pokemon anime. Hikari was a co-star instead of simply being a sidekick, so there's no reason why Pochama can't be out with Pikachu.

Because everything's better with penguins, that's why. They're just as popular as monkeys, dinosaurs, and princesses. Dawn's popularity also helped Piplup's popularity in Japan.

Most of Piplup's hate comes from the dub, mainly its voice.

Thanks for all the answers; I don't think Piplup is as bad dubbed as Tepig however :x

I find it to be the most adorable of the water starters and the evolutions are great. I am way behind on the anime so I cannot judge that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom