• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do You Balance Your Team?

Anymore, I usually do. Though up until recently, I never had a grass type unless it was a starter.

When I was younger, I was terrible about balancing teams (My team on Gold was Charizard, Mewtwo, Mew, Ho-oh, Lugia, and Alakazam). But as I became older, I stopped using all legendary teams, and started actually balancing teams. My only real requirements for a team are to have a water type, a fire type (or a pokemon with fire-type moves), and a psychic type. The other three are free game.

I try to balance mine out, but my love of electric types usually gets the better of me... I almost never use Ice, rock, or steel though.

I usually have the three "core" types of Fire/Water/Grass (albeit usually each with a secondary type or good movepool) and then use the remaining three slots for whatever I happen to want to use in that game. These usually end up including at least one Dragon type.

I try my best to balance my team, but I tend to pick Pokemon that are weak to Fighting and Dark Type moves, for some reason.

Yes, I balance my team very well, IMO. But I don't JUST go for types, I go for what my favorites are best in. Like, I would have 3 Special Attackers & 3 Physical Attackers. I always have water & fire on my team, but I never use grass except for Sceptile in R/S/E. Otherwise, I ALWAYS have to have at least the following...Fire, Electric, Water, Psychic, or Dragon. I always have a Dragon on my team no matter what though. My Chompy & Flygon are the best <3333 & Haxorus. Hell yeah babyyyy. Togekiss is a MUST on my Platinum team, especially with its preferred nature. That baby is a powerhouse. <3

But yeah, I usually arrange my team by their stats most of the time along with my favorite types/Pokemon.

I didn't in gen four. but in white, I balanced out my team quite well

Nope, I try not to repeat the same types, but I'm not a fan of grass types or the fire types in Unova. I only ever have one water type in my team in BW which is my starter, Samurott.

typically my teams in-game are something like

g/w/f/dragon/goodmon/oddball (generally, psychic type)

i'm planning on using sceptile/torkoal/sharpedo/manectric/altaria/chimecho or ninjask for emerald though... it would be cool to progress through the game with some somewhat uncommon mons for a change!

I obsessively balance my team. I've gotten to the point that I don't mind if second-types repeat, but I never have more than one of a primary type in my main party. My format tends to follow this:
Type (Examples)
Grass (Venusaur, Torterra, Lilligant)
Fire (Charizard, Infernape, Emboar)
Water (Blastoise, Empoleon, Jellicent)
Electric (Raichu, Luxray, Eelectross)
Fly-User (Dragonite, Honchkrow, Braviary)
Wildcard (Sandslash, Froslass, Reuniclus)

That includes two of my main playthrough teams and one random play team. So, yeah... I like balance.

I almost always make balanced teams. The best one I've completed is:
Blastoise
Arcanine
Scizor
Espeon
Lucario
Gliscor
This team is on my HG. And it might look like there's some holes in the defense, If you look close enough, but the movesets of each pokemon are varied enough that this team can take on anything.
I did make one team that was completely UNbalanced.
Togekiss
Staraptor
Ursaring
Zangoose
Snorlax
Ambipom.
All normal types. It was more challenging than I'm used to, playing through and beating the league. But it was fun also. Oddly Ambipom was the powerhouse of the team.
My newest team is:
Bisharp
Infernape
Electivire
Swampert
Mismagius
Aerodactyl
This team is still highly experimental. Only two of the pokemon are still left from the original planned team. So far it seems to be working pretty well though.

I usually try to. I was bad about having a lot of flying types on my teams when I was younger though (I would have ones like Laitas, Gyarados, and Pidgeott on the same roster...)

not really but i never have two of the same typoe.
(as in fire type and fire type)(but a fire fighting type and a fire type is okay)

I'm usually OCD about making sure none of the Pokemon on my team share any types, but an exception can be made for legendaries or certain remake teams. (Even then, though, Pokemon with the exact same type are avoided)

Not in the strict "Fire, Water, Grass" way, there are way better team cores than that.

QFT, that's really not what I'd seek for a balanced team. Though the FerroCent core shows that Grass-Water can be godly with good secondary typings. CeleTran also works, but Heatran is a very special case and arguably the only good defensive Fire-type.

You don't always need to balance a team for it to be successful ; heck, some choose to run very similar mons just so that their common counters can't take them on forever. I find it works wonder for Fighting and Dragon types, who are gifted with a great typing both offensively and defensively.

In game, frankly, when you can solo Brycen with a Dragon Dance Axew, you don't really need defensive coverage. It could even come to bite you against some "imaginative" NPCs (I made a face when I found out Caitlin's Reuniclus had Focus Blast to take care of Dark-types).

Not in the usual "Water, Fire, Grass, other" sense of "balanced", but I do tend to pick the Water starter, and I do tend to have a Grass type to inflict status ailments. Then I make sure I'm not repeating the same type too often (I usually make exceptions if the two conflicting Pokemon have other types).

I've been trying recently, start off with a Water-type starter, then add a Fire and Ground types to cover its weakness to Grass and Electric, respectively. From there, I have to add a couple more members of different types, none of the same, to cover the Fire and Ground-type weaknesses.

EDIT: And, if I have enough space after the covering, I'll throw in a Psychic-type and Dark-type.

Last edited:
Everything I'm actively using in Fire Red that isn't Dugtrio is weak to rock type attacks. Some even doubly so. Planning is for the weak!

Certainly. This is why I planned my quests beforehand: to get the most out of the team based on type diversity. It's not exactly about types I balanced, since I might have some types that clash, like my Diamond team, which has two Steels and two Grounds, but each of them have different roles. Nowadays, I decided that Fire, Water and Grass are the best three to have, as before, I only have Water and Grass but no Fire. If a Ghost is practical to have in the journey, then I will have it in.

Thanks for reading.

I find it pretty easy to make sure none of them share the same primary types, at least. If a type is shared, it's usually flying type.

Yes, usually. Unless it is for a themed team composed of only water types, poison types, etc.

All of my teams vary, but for competitive teams they are usually balanced. There will be times when I have two of the same type (tends to be water with another element), but I tend to have another 'mon who can absorb or be immune to whatever is thrown at them.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom