• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Does the fandom ever bug you?

Jesse GS the II

Ol' Brown Eyes is back
Reaction score
If this doesn't belong here, feel free to move it. I just want it to be said somewhere.

I just had an extremely tiresome and draining argument over at SPPf regarding Kasumi's fanbase. It was longwinded, vicious, taxing, and repetitive, and in the end, nothing got resolved. People (myself included) made obtuse and flawed arguments, I got worked up over tiny things that don't matter, and nobody went away fulfilled. It was wasted time in my life that I'll never get back, and it was all over a fictional cartoon character from a children's show who hasn't played a major role on that show in seven years.

I'm tired of seeing this happen. I'm tired of getting embroiled in arguments over trivial things. I just want to enjoy the show as it is, without having to deal with people who only want to complain and make the show pander to their whims. But every time I try to ignore threads like that, something draws me in. Call it the power of the Internet or something, but I'm compelled to make a snarky comment 'cause that's just what I do when I see a topic I find laughable, and then I get drawn into a debate that goes nowhere. No other fandom I'm part of does this. At every other board I frequent, most all members behave in a civilized fashion - it's only here and at SPPf that things constantly de-evolve into shouting matches over things nobody cares about. I think it's best for me if I distance myself from all "Pokémon" discussion for a good long while.

Before I take a long, cleansing hiatus from the "Pokémon" anime fandom in general, I just wanted to ask if I'm the only one this happens to. Do you ever reach a point where you just want to enjoy this show without being bogged down by what you're supposed to think of it? Do you ever need to take time off from talking about it with others, lest you exhaust yourself both verbally and emotionally? Do you ever stop to think about the significance, if any, of what you're discussing?

Basically, I joined this fan community to share my interest with other people who like it, and I don't want to talk with people about "Pokémon" on the Internet if it's not going to make me or them happy. When a source of entertainment is no longer entertaining, I see no reason to pursue it any further.

Pokémon fandom is like a totalitarian state: you break the mold, everybody and their brother piles on you.

This is pretty much how every fandom in the world operates. A small, vocal minority complains about things the majority of the people that keeps the show/game/book/whatnot inrterested, care two shits about.

However, I agree with you about snarky internet comments and stuff. I do that for no other reason than just because. Though, I don't post on here as much as before, because I have real-life things which are ever so important...

It's hardly the only fandom that's irritating. Being involved in other communities, I assure you that this kind of fan stupidity is a natural part of the fandom. That includes arguments of trivial things, fan stubbornness, the like.

Pokémon fandom is like a totalitarian state: you break the mold, everybody and their brother piles on you.

It's not like that at *all*; considering the subject matter, we're pretty much all deviants from the norm.

Anyway, Jesse, some elements of the fandom (and any fandom) bug me, but I just ignore them. You didn't HAVE to involve yourself in that thread, after all, but you posted anyway.

Those "shouting matches" are far and few between on both sites. Most of the time you have to either go looking for them or you can see them a mile away. But bitterness is what you make of it. Heck, I know you're an MST fan--most sites refuse to allow Mike vs Joel topics because they *think* it'll lead to fighting, but I've yet to see any discussion of that subject that ever did and I've been following it for about ten years now.

Not anymore than any other fandom.

Every fandom has idiotic quirks, it's not a fandom without them.

This fandom does'nt bug me, there is a specific fandom for a Tv show that I do hate very much though cause of some people, but then agian EVERY fandom has something that bugs everyone.

Anyway, Jesse, some elements of the fandom (and any fandom) bug me, but I just ignore them. You didn't HAVE to involve yourself in that thread, after all, but you posted anyway.

That's part of why I'm taking time off. I want to get out of the mindset of "I might as well step in and show these jokers what the truth is." I suspect that replying sarcastically to these threads has made me think I'm smarter than the average Pokémon fan and turned me into something of an egotist, and I certainly don't want to be anything like that.

Well, I would just appreciate it if some people got down from their high horse at least some of the time, and let other people have their own opinion about things. There are some things that are just too stupid to be even labeled an opinion, but really, just let people say what they want to say and back off. Those same people are telling others that they are entitled to their own opinion when they go and tell "Sally" that they're wrong for saying how they feel about something.

To answer the question in a word: immensely.

While many facets of the fandom annoy me immensely, I do know that it is afterall, only a cartoon, or only a video game.

The MST3K mantra doesn't really only apply to what goes on in the show itself, but the surrounding fandom. In fact, it'd have gone mad a long time ago if I watched the show for the same reasons that many people here watch it.

I view it simply as a guilty pleasure and I like seeing how creative the people who make the fandom even possible. Ranging from the writers of the anime to the voice acting (both dub and original), to the game designers and the designers of the main focus of this series, the Pokémon.

To answer the question aswell the fandom does get on my nerves sometimes. I also have a addiction in being pulled into arguement threads. I actually read the thread your talking about on serebii and even almost posted but somehow restrained myself.

I find I'm hanging around one arguement thread after the other because I'll even search for them. It's really stupid that I even do that because unfortunetly it does make me upset sometimes when reading those and I know it's my own stupid fault.

I've been working myself out of the habit in recent years. It takes alot of effort aswell and I'm still trying to work on it considering I still found my way to that Misty thread to read it.=/
Alot of work ahead for me to really pull myself away.

I found the best way to avoid them is to put more focus on other things. Instead of looking for an arguement topic I choose to post a blog or I start drawing.

I once missed an arguement thread due to going out to the city with my friend.

It's just about trying to find other things to do to keep you occupied so your not tempted to post in them.

For me if all that fails I start pacing around the house muttering to myself backwards and forwards and my parents usually just stare thinking what the hell.XD

I tend to try and get it out of my system by shutting down the computer and pacing sometimes because that way I'm calmer when I get back on the forums.

Not really. The fandom doesn't really bug me. To be honst, I try to respect everyone's opinion here, whenever a new topic comes up. ^^

And if someone disagrees with my opinion on something, that's perfectly fine with me. I mean, I might explain my point of view on the subject matter and ask the other person to explain their's (if I don't understand what they mean), but that's about it.

Of course, I've gotta say, rants are always fun. I really enjoyed those, back when I used to rant about the VAs and stuff. XD

I'll just say this: as long as they're not like the Jon & Kate fandom I don't give a crap.

The Pokemon fandom is pretty mild in comparison to that lively bunch. -__ಠ

Oh my gosh this topic is soooo what is happening right now. Since there is so much conflict on but SPPf and Bulbagarden, I've been in Misc (at SPPf) and haven't been coming here as much because clicking on new replies my eye catches onto the anime-related threads and I can't resist a click.

How I escape: One of the things I do is I go to the Zelda fandom because their fandom is less stressful even though they have the typical arguments like Zelda having voice acting in future titles, timeline arguments, and if a more modern Zelda title is the way to make the series get a fresh new paint coat. The second I enter Zelda Universe (which I'm currently active on) this incredible wave of relief washes over me and I just indulge.

Other places I go to

And the day I found out that Pokemon was going hd and me disliking widescreen tv and feeling betrayed that my very own show was joining the group. You know what I did? I took a long walk around my neighborhood and I never did that before because of the hills and how there aren't too many sidewalks around dangerous parts of roads. By the time I got back from that walk, I felt like a new person. I had observed life and for once it wasn't anything related to Pokemon. My neighborhood (or the closest one to my teeny area) is a family-oriented, closeknit area with safe quiet streets, nice old houses and plenty of shading. Being alone on these streets by myself and looking around at life made me think beyond Pokemon.
When I came back, I decided to like 16:9 rather than fight it and I realized that fighting it would only cause misery for myself and other stubborn people. There are other things in life to get worked up about. The size change of a television screen is just such a trivial thing and for being so obsessed, I feel like an old, stubborn bitter man in my room at my computer complaining about everything and anything.

I'm going lighter on Pokemon now too. I'm going to pick up my preordered Platinum but I don't watch the anime that much because it's become a chore even if I know youtube always has some people uploading it. I only watch it now when Shinji or someone else is on it. And then I download it for safekeeping. I'm staying away from Pokemon anime forums a lot more to avoid the fandom pressure, escaping it via 4chan, anontalk, videogames, Zelda and youtube, and only click on threads that don't provoke fandom wars or conflict to the fandom or to myself.

Dang, that post was loong. But at an intelligent place like this, longness should be appreciated.

Fandom bugs me to the extent that some people can be total jerks to anyone whose opinion differs from theirs.

I consider myself a pretty accepting person; as long as you're not an asshole about your opinions, I'm cool about it.

But if you start insulting those who hold different ones than you do, you're a jerk. End of story. It crosses the line into FanDumb then.

I'd say no, then I'd say yes, then I'd say I really just ignore most of it.

But then I'd realize that Im one of those annoying complainers.

Nah, I dont think Im as bad as some other people. But Im starting to drift farther away from Pokemon and just the internet all together. Which Im VERY proud of, mind you. I mean, Bulbagarden's great, but I really cant spend more than 20 minutes on here without getting bored.

That doesnt really even relate to the topic on hand though. So, on topic, nah, the fandom doesnt bug me too much. "Certain members" of the Misty fandom do, but thats just because I'm a fan of Misty and I hate how "certain people" go too far with it all. Honestly, it made me not like Misty for a while, but then I realized thats a really shitty reason.

So now all I do is watch some old episodes every now and then and make my opinions based off that.

I hope somebody reads all this *sniffle*

People complain about this fandom too much. But then, I don't get annoyed at the kinds of things that annoy most people. There are things about the fandom that really piss me off, but I just try to let it go.

Dang, that post was loong. But at an intelligent place like this, longness should be appreciated.

I don't think length is troublesome at all. I mean, unless it's just complete spam obviously. Which is wasn't.

Agreed, though. The fandom can be irritating to a great extent. I think it's interesting that you talked about taking a walk, though. You are (were?) really involved in the fandom, aren't you? It's good sometimes to take a step back a breathe a little.

I'd say too that HD meant the picture was clearer... but the show's quality isn't all that great to begin with, amirite? ;D

But yep, as for an actual reply to the thread, it can be frustrating. But the Pokémon fandom is so large, usually you can find a niche in it in which you click... and that makes it worth it. The arguing and all that, it's just people being silly on the internet. I let it go and try to enjoy what about it I enjoy so much in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom