• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Doubles of Legendary Pokemon?

Quartzthyst

Poison/Safe
Reaction score
My main question that has really been bothering me is, are there more than one pokemon for each legendary species? I recall back in Johto, a Nurse Joy claimed that there were many nests where Articunos reside.

My theory on the Celebi was that it was the exact same one, except from different times....

But yeah, there are multpile legendaries in the Anime, aswell as within the games.

The only Legendaries that are probably one of a kind are Mewtwo, Ho-Oh, Groudon, Rayquaza, Kyogre, Arceus and it's creations. Anything else probably has multiples of it running around. Specifically, the Lendary Birds, Lugia, Celebi, Deoxys, Manaphy, and Phione . . .

The Mews in movies 1 and 8 are different. They have different voice actors, and it's not like they couldn't bring the original back because he (Kouichi Yamadera) was in Movie 8 as Aaron. It also wouldn't make sense for one Mew to live both in the Andes and in that "tree."

I am inclined to believe there is more than one Ho-Oh. This isn't really a reason, but why is it sometimes shown as sparkling gold and sometimes as its regular colors? I doubt it can change colors... Maybe one is shiny? I'm not sure I believe this is the case, but it's interesting to think about.

It seems like legendary Pokémon are not legendary because they are one-of-a-kind, but because they live in extraordinarily harsh or tucked-away places (and have more power than most Pokémon) and rarely show themselves to humans. Even Mewtwo jumps to and from rooftops, and only at night.

Mewtwo is confirmed to be unique, and Lugia is confirmed not to be unique. Nothing can be said about any other legendary, either as it has only appeared once, or there is some doubt as to whether the species' multiple appearances are from distinct Pokémon. Their extreme rarity also implies that we may never know.

It's also perplexing that Lugia are gendered in the anime while it is "gender unknown" in the games. It also implies that legendary Pokémon can reproduce, but perhaps not breed (ie. under trainer-controlled conditions).

The Latis aren't unique either though, wasn't their father a latios meaning chances are there are other latias' too. I think the like hoenn main legendaries are unique, as are the vast amount of related DP legendaries. The rest I think we can determine there are multiple of, atleast one per region-ish.

Well, I think it's very likely (but not confirmed) that there is more than one Suicune.

I mean, Ash has seen Suicune 3 times (not counting the 4th movie), so he's either seen the same one all of those times, or he's seen a few different Suicune.

It seems more believable in my opinion, to assume that there are Suicune's which live in different regions. So perhaps Ash saw the Suicune from Johto twice (or 3 times if you include the 4th movie), and the Suicune from Sinnoh one time so far.

If Lugia and Ho-Oh are supposed to mirror each other, wouldn't it follow that there's multiple Ho-Oh as well?

Also, I know the Beasts of the Tower are solo, but could Ho-Oh create more of them? Or was the situation unique? Would it have depended on what they were in their original lives?

The Latis aren't unique either though, wasn't their father a latios meaning chances are there are other latias' too. I think the like hoenn main legendaries are unique, as are the vast amount of related DP legendaries. The rest I think we can determine there are multiple of, atleast one per region-ish.
Actually, in the cut legend of Altomare prologue, there are several dozen Latias and Latios.

Personally, I think the people think or believe there is one, or one true one by their beliefs... but Pokemon are suppose to be more like animals, so legendaries are more like extremely rare creatures of today were we don't even understand how they breed.

As for Diamond and Pearl legends of Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, and Arcseus... I don't know. They are more like gods... Technically more than one Dialga can exist in that it is the same one at different points of time (like people say that there can be one celebi too), and Palkia in term can reflect and even potentially create itself again. (Actually, what keeps Palkia from being like Arcseus, legend wise? If it can create space, can it create matter like in the movie? And if it can create matter, what stops it from creating life? This is why I try not to think about Pokemon and real world science!lol)

Actually, in the cut legend of Altomare prologue, there are several dozen Latias and Latios.

One of the Pokédex entries on them say that they travel in small groups of up to five.

Anyway, I assume that it's possible that there are more then one of each legendary, aside from Mewtwo, who is a special case.

Who knows, there might even be more then one Groundon/Kyorge/Rayquaza.

I'm not sure about the anime, but as far as the games go, there's definitely more than one of most of the Johto legendaries.

I mean, think about it, all of the Johto legendaries can be captured in Gen III, which is set three years before Gen II. But you can still capture them in Gen II, even though you can't capture the ones from Kanto again.

(Actually, what keeps Palkia from being like Arcseus, legend wise? If it can create space, can it create matter like in the movie? And if it can create matter, what stops it from creating life? This is why I try not to think about Pokemon and real world science!lol)

If you remember the legend, Dialga and Palkia's power created matter, but it is the power of the three Psychics that give it spirit. In other words, neither Dialga or Palkia alone have the power to create life.

I will agree that the way Arceus, Dialga/Palkia, and the lake trio are presented would make them seem immortal. Past that point, it is harder to determine. It really depends on how far you think the legends' power goes. I am willing to believe there is only one Giratina, it's power would also seem to make it immortal. I have a theory that suggests that anything that has as much power or more power than Gira is immortal, and thus doesn't have to breed to maintain itself. I've been unable to come to a full definition of which pokes have this kind of power, mostly because I can't decide how far the power of certain pokes go.

Right, I think it depends on wich legeneds where talking about,
to me it would be something like this:

Imorrtal:
Arceaus (Since when do gods die?)
Giratina (Sadly, devils don't die either)
Any pokemon in the sinnoh creation myth, because, if the've been around since the beginning of poketime till now, well...
Ho-Oh, arcording to the games (I belive) and the anime, this fellows been around quite a long time! Lugia (I'm only saying this because of the above, I'm aware they can breed, but if there
conter parts to Ho-Oh, they must be Biologecly simlar, wich means Ho-Oh may also have a breeding populatain)

Morrtal:
Anything else really, because we've seen lots of Legends in near-death situiations before. (Moltres-Hoso,Articuno-2000,Latios-who did die,Latias-who almost died,Mew-who almost died in movie 8, and apperantly can die, because REMAINS of it where found by Mr.Fuji's team, Darkrai, who again,DID die, Celebi-Died and came back to life.)

Well, I don't believe anything can be invincible either. Everything has a limit to their abilities. Is that still immortality? I still consider the ability to live forever to be immortality. That doesn't mean that they can't die, it just means they can't die of old age. They can still be physically harmed. To me, all pokemon have this limitation, maybe even Arceus. It's just that the legends are extremely difficult to harm. However, note that the more important a legend is, the more the world gets thrown into chaos if they suddenly aren't there to keep the balance. If one were to harm things like Dialga and Palkia, all of reality would start to unravel. (like in Movie 10) My theory was that Giratina's presence limits the time in which things can live, making them wear out until they eventually can't function anymore. Everything that can at least resist its power will not age. Ghost pokemon are the only thing I can't put my finger on with this, but I have another theory for the existence of Ghost pokemon that is unrelated to this thread. For Giratina at least, it exists in the underworld, so it is technically already dead.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think that these legendaries are unique:
RSE mascots
DP mascots
Mewtwo
Arcuses
Darkrai

and that all others are mulitpled.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom