• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP073: Goodbye, Dokucale! ・ DP074: Pikachu! Raichu! The Path to Evolution!!

Dogasu

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
-The other Docucale is brown.

-Dokucale pushes Musashi out of the way of some attack

-We see Musashi crying on all fours.

-Pikachu and Raichu are shown fighting.

-Satoshi opens up a bag and drops a Thunder Stone into his hand while the narrator says "Could Satoshi really be...?"

-Pikachu stares at the Thunder Stone (which has been left on a bedside table) as it lies in bed...

raichu_the_movie_small.jpg

Last edited:
You know, I always wondered what would happen if Pikachu evolved. Clearly it would be against its will, and they'd find a way to make it a Pikachu again by the end of the episode (perhaps invoking the card game's DeEvolution Spray, which would be awesome), but it would be interesting nonetheless.

-Satoshi opens up a bag and drops a Thunder Badge into his hand while the narrator says "Could Satoshi really be...?"

-Pikachu stares at the Thunder Stone (which has been left on a bedside table) as it lies in bed...

Huh. At least they're doing it properly. But we know it won't evolve, because Pikachu is in all the Movie 11 trailers.

I can't wait for the episode about Pikachu and Raichu!! :-D

Anyway, so Ash has a battle with that Raichu trainer. Ah, so I guess he loses the match, which would explain why Pikachu's lying injured in that bed.

I can see this episode going two ways. Either it's similar to "Electric Shock Showdown", or Pikachu evolves into Raichu and they find a way to make it a Pikachu again by the end of the episode.

My prediction (and hope) is for this episode being similar to "Electric Shock Showdown", where Ash once again gives Pikachu the choice to evolve, which it seems to deeply consider this time.

However, if Pikachu does evolve through some weird accident (or even willingly, but it's too late when Pikachu changes its mind), it would definitely surprise me! Heck, D/P's full of surprises, and I wouldn't put something like this past the writers. But still, if Pikachu does evolve, I really hope they're able to get it back to normal by the end of the episode.

To be honest, I really like Pikachu, and I want the writers to keep it the way it is now. And also, because Pikachu is VERY attached to Ash, it will probably have second thoughts about evolving. Afterall, there is the possibility that if Pikachu evolved, its personality could change. Which is why I don't think Pikachu would want to risk its friendship with Ash.

I mean, they're so close and they've been through everything together! I'm afraid to think of what could happen to their friendship if Pikachu evolves! :eek:

Anyway, on the positive side of things, this looks like a really good episode. And I know I'm gonna love this episode, because it will definitely have a lot of Pikashipping (Ash and Pikachu) hints in it. XD

EDIT: By the way, when does episode 74 air?

EDIT 2: Nevermind, I just found out these episodes will be airing as a one-hour special on April 3rd! (it's a shame that Japan is skipping a week, though)

Last edited:
I miss Docucale already. At least this should be the last TR Pokémon to go this saga.

-Dokucale pushes Musashi out of the way of some attack

-We see Musashi crying on all fours.

-Satoshi opens up a bag and drops a Thunder Badge into his hand while the narrator says "Could Satoshi really be...?"

Thunder Badge? As in Satoshi-actually-keeps-his-old-badges-with-him Thunder Badge? Continuity points get!

I was uninterested in false Pikachu evolution drama, but if the writers are going to show continuity, I might enjoy the episode.

If Pikachu evolves and enters the Ball, I'll praise the writers and stop complaining for 3 minutes!

But I know it will not.

I got a strange brainfuckass idea. Matisse reappearing! He'd appear and mention other Kanto Gym Leaders (including Anzu). But I know it's impossible.

Trainer-c said:
Thunder Badge? As in Satoshi-actually-keeps-his-old-badges-with-him Thunder Badge? Continuity points get!

That was a typo on my part. It's fixed now.

Was that really necessary?

Ooh, an interesting set of episodes. I hope they can keep me entertained. DP 74 could be Vermillion City all over, Pikachu and the stone, so yeah.

Hmm, I wonder how long Ash has had that Thunder Stone with him....

Is it possible Ash could've had the Thunder Stone with him a long time before going to the Sinnoh region (like in Johto or Hoenn)? Or is it more likely that he bought it somewhere in Sinnoh? Of course, this isn't really important. It's just random speculation on my part. ^^;

Heck, we probably won't know the answer to this question until the episode airs, lol.

Also, it's possible that the Raichu trainer in episode 74 gives Ash this Thunder Stone (yep, that reminds me of Lt. Surge and "Electric Shock Showdown").

Hmm, I wonder how long Ash has had that Thunder Stone with him....

Is it possible Ash could've had the Thunder Stone with him a long time before going to the Sinnoh region (like in Johto or Hoenn)? Or is it more likely that he bought it somewhere in Sinnoh? Of course, this isn't really important. It's just random speculation on my part. ^^;

It's probably the one which he bought in Vermilion City long ago.

Also, it's possible that the Raichu trainer in episode 74 gives Ash this Thunder Stone (yep, that reminds me of Lt. Surge and "Electric Shock Showdown").

I think he/she'll keep that for his/her Pichu if he/she has one.

Last edited:
But he didn't buy that stone....

It was given to him by Nurse Joy, who originally received it from Lt. Surge (or at least this was implied in the dub by what Lt. Surge said: "You didn't even make your Pikachu evolve! You haven't learned anything yet!").

Also, I didn't think that Ash would have kept the Thunder Stone, after Pikachu refused to evolve. I thought he would've either thrown it away or gave it to someone else after that. O.O

I think he'll keep that for his/her Pichu if he/she has one.
Oh yeah, good point.

I forgot about the Pichu. ^^;

It's probably a stone given to him by the character-of-the-day.

I highly doubt Satoshi would walk around for however many years with a rock that, if it accidentally touched his Pikachu at any point ever, would cause it to evolve.

Hasn't Satoshi actually sat Pikachu inside his open backpack before? It would be amazingly reckless if he had the Thunder Stone in there the whole time.

Yeah, evolution stones/items have a habit of cropping up like weeds whenever one of the main characters has a special evolution Pokémon. I suppose there could still be a passing mention of the only other time evolving Pikachu was "seriously" considered.

-Satoshi opens up a bag and drops a Thunder Stone into his hand while the narrator says "Could Satoshi really be...?"

YES Pikachu and Raichu fight! But what is this, now its Electric Shock Showdown deja vu too. But the part where Ash opens the bag, was it his or the trainer of the day. In my opinion if it was Ash's, there would be no way he be carrying that thunderstone so long and I agree the last poster said, Pikachu would of evolved a while back.

And if it was Ash's and carrying the whole time, I wonder for some reason he still have thoughts evolving Pikachu in any case, like he has still some trauma from Electric Shock Showdown since Pikachu was badly beaten to death, and at times still doubts Pikachu's abilities despite it's strong. Yeah it sounds ridiculous, but just wondering.

But for this episode, I hope they do not give an excuse that Raichu is too slow and did not learn its speed attacks. It better be another excuse.

Pichu Pikachu and Raichu (and possibly Piplup and Pachi too) in the same episode
I love DP

Is that little Jessie in the preview? if so than it seems like she know the Dustox trainer

Raichu using Hyper Beam..

I've never seen such an overused attack. It feels like if it's in every single episode.

What's with them rehashing similar plots from Season 1? Maybe so the new generation of kids sees similar things that they would not be able to watch from so long ago or something?

What's with them rehashing similar plots from Season 1? Maybe so the new generation of kids sees similar things that they would not be able to watch from so long ago or something?

Probably. Since the show has been going on for 10 years some kids watching now weren't even born when Season 1 was airing.

Its exactly why each gen we have a regional reset now. We get Ash with a fresh Pokemon team, a new female character, and things re-explained for the new audience.

Its times like this to keep in mind that the writers know kids of today aren't familiar with the older seasons, yet they have an older fanbase which is why we still get continuity from old episodes, (such as James Chimecho or Ash's Oak'd Pokemon, Gary, etc).

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom