• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dragonite's Song From "The Mystery of the Lighthouse"

Trainer Lisa

LOVED IchibanCon
Reaction score
I was wondering, you know the mysterious sound, or rather, song that Dragonite made in "The Mystery of the Lighthouse"? What kind of sound was that, and where did it come from?

The reason I'm asking this is because, oddly enough, I just heard that exact same sound/song on an episode of My Gym Partner's A Monkey ("Animal Testing").

I mean, whenever that killer whale was in a scene and was talking, they played that same sound. It was very strange too, because I KNEW I had recognized that sound from somewhere, but I didn't figure it out until just now. I was like, "OMG! That was Dragonite's song!" O_O

So, does this mean in "The Mystery of the Lighthouse", they actually played a killer whale's song for the Dragonite that appeared?

PokemonTrainerLisa said:
So, does this mean in "The Mystery of the Lighthouse", they actually played a killer whale's song for the Dragonite that appeared?

It would appear so. It's not so surprising really, if I remember correctly, Charizard's roar is a lion reversed.

Also, the Salamence in Movie 6 sounded just like the Dragon roaring in Shrek, as well as many other Dragon's I've seen in shows.

Doctor Oak said:
It would appear so. It's not so surprising really, if I remember correctly, Charizard's roar is a lion reversed.
Yeah, I knew that about Charizard because they mentioned it on the Pokemon 3 audio commentary (and also how Entei's roar is a cross between a lion's and a bear's).

I was just surprised about Dragonite though, because I didn't think I'd hear something like that in a show like My Gym Parners A Monkey. XD

I wasn't expecting that, so it was pretty cool. :)

A lot of shows have the same sound databases, or share the same sound effects. Ghost in the Shell and Pokemon have like the EXACT sounds in everything.

Lugia's cry was also a blue whale's low-pitched call, remixed of course.

Pokemon's (the show) sounds are so limited now. Everything you hear has been used before - or been recycled and remixed. They always introduce at least one new sound in each movie - movie 5 was that water-jump-up sound (the same one the gaizer's that popped up in Lucario used), that tingling sound (the one where Aaron touches the crystal in the beginning and talks to Lucario), which was introduced in Deoxys, and that ectoplasmic sound that is used when Kid and Ash are being revived from the tree (also introduced in Deoxys). But not a lot of new sounds are ever introduced.

Mmm. Sound effects must be very expensive.

Nah. Can't be. Foley artists can do so much more.

I've heard the same (or similar) sound effects on School Rumble, so I imagine that there is a sound database that several animation studios share.

That would be a humpback whale. Compare.

As far as I know, orcas don't sing like that, rather their communication sounds a lot like the whistles and clicks of a dolphin.

Of course it doesn't sound exactly the same, as they all have different songs that are constantly changing. If you'll listen to the blue whale's call here, it's nothing like Kairyuu at all.

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom