• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Driving Deaths in High School (Again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trip

Former Staff Member
Reaction score
*sigh*

You know, this is really starting to get old.

I think I've posted on this subject before, but...

Bring the total up to 4. I can now say that four separate people have died within the two schools (high school and community college) I go to during the time I've been there.

Two of them in the last week.

Here's the one from last week.

http://www.wset.com/news/stories/0207/399089.html

Another happened today, ironically, on the way back from his funeral.

None involved alcohol, but all were caused by negligent driving (I don't know about the one tonight yet). First was excessive speed and gravel, second was cell phone, and the one I linked to above is unconfirmed, but the rumor is that it was cell phone related as well. Couldn't tell you about the latest one yet.

Quite honestly, I don't know what kind of discussion I was hoping to have in this thread.

I do know that I blame our state's crappy driver ed program at least in part. In Virginia, your parents teach you how to drive and then you get 14 hours of behind-the-wheel who usually just has you drive them around to run errands. So many people don't know the rules of the road, or just don't understand how dangerous a car can be.

I also blame them and their parents to a degree. Cell phones and other distractions shouldn't even need to be regulated--there should be common sense involved. When you're operating a ton or more piece of metal at speeds of 55 miles per hour (~90 kph), you should be as focused on your driving as possible, not fucking around with everything else in your car.

What do you think?

- Trip

Do you want to regulate everything that a person could do in a car? I've done wayyyyyyyyy too much in a car... It's reflected in your insurance, I'm against cell phone laws big time :(

Not particularly, that's why I said, it shouldn't need to be regulated. People should be smart enough to know that when you're driving a metal death machine that your attention should be almost exclusively on the road!

- Trip

I say, cellphones and parents are the problem. Everyone has a cellphone, what the heck are they talking about all the times? Also, the parents are to blame cause they are too afraid to be parents.

Drivers' tests are far too lenient, and parents are likewise too lenient on cell phone use, drunk driving, and overcrowded cars. States really need to start adopting harder tests and graduated licenses.

Cellphones can also be a major help. In the two accidents I've been in my cellphone is what I used to call for help. Though, I agree with the graduated license and harder alcohol laws.

Cellphones can also be a major help. In the two accidents I've been in my cellphone is what I used to call for help. Though, I agree with the graduated license and harder alcohol laws.

Cellphones are fine. When they're off. I keep one in my car. It's turned off. If I get into an accident, I can turn it on. But if I get into an accident, it WON'T be because of a cellphone.

Cellphones are fine. When they're off. I keep one in my car. It's turned off. If I get into an accident, I can turn it on. But if I get into an accident, it WON'T be because of a cellphone.

Yeah, that's what I mean. I drive with a cell phone, but I try as much as possible to not be yakking on my cell phone while driving.

Yes, sure, cellphones are very convenient in accidents, or when your asking someone for directions, but thats not all they're being used for. I see people just yakking away at these phones, chit-chatting, with one hand on the wheel, thats it. We heed handless cellphones, lol, they do make um. Anyway, its not the phone, its the driver. BUT thats the problem, the drivers are just so incompitant anymore. Cellphones should only be used in case of emergency, not for casual chitchat, when your driving at least. Geez, when I go out, I do NOT want people bugging me all day, probably why I am one of the few people in this world who does not own a cellphone.

Same here. Come to think of it, my cellphone is always off unless I'm calling somebody. And it does annoy me to see people talking on the cellphone while driving and sometimes scares me half to death on the freeway. Han up and drive.

If you're going to tell me not to use a cell phone while I'm driving (I used to drive 2 hours round trip to work), then please don't have any conversations, change your radio, listen to a book on tape, eat, think of anything else or get a hummer while driving.

Thanks!
burgerking.gif

My brother, 18, is a horrible driver. He speeds, blares his iPod (especially when he's pulling into the garage late at night, which happens to be right under my bedroom), is always on his phone... a lot of kids are ike that. It sucks.

The real problem here is driving.

Even Ignoring the environmental concerns, cars are deathtraps. We need a solid rail network. :p

My brother, 18, is a horrible driver. He speeds, blares his iPod (especially when he's pulling into the garage late at night, which happens to be right under my bedroom), is always on his phone... a lot of kids are ike that. It sucks.
And that's why his insurance is 4x what his parents pay.

The inattentive driver who smashes into the side of you may well be distracted by his cellphone.

Anyone who eats or uses a mobile phone while driving is endangering others because one or two of their hands are off the wheel unneccessarily. wireless headsets are fine because you are still maintaining full control of the vehicle. if you suddenly had to swerve with one hand you might get 270 degree turn of the wheel at most, not enough.

By the way, a lot of people in this thread were saying things equivalent to 'tests are too easy'. What are they like in America? Here they most certainly are not too easy.

If you're going to tell me not to use a cell phone while I'm driving (I used to drive 2 hours round trip to work), then please don't have any conversations, change your radio, listen to a book on tape, eat, think of anything else or get a hummer while driving.

Thanks!
burgerking.gif

You shouldn't be having an involved conversation in a car and you shouldn't really eat, but most activities, while distracting, aren't as bad as having one hand away from the wheel while talking with someone.

By the way, a lot of people in this thread were saying things equivalent to 'tests are too easy'. What are they like in America? Here they most certainly are not too easy.

It depends on the state, but where I live it's a ridiculously easy test (basically questions like "what do you do at a stop sign") and a fairly simple driving test where if you don't do anything illegal and have at least mediocre driving skills, you pass.

The actual part of cell phone usage isn't the hands, it's the conversation, as proven by studies showing hands-free cell phones doing nothing to help drivers.

So, are you now for no-talking laws for drivers, or what?

The actual part of cell phone usage isn't the hands, it's the conversation, as proven by studies showing hands-free cell phones doing nothing to help drivers.

So, are you now for no-talking laws for drivers, or what?

I'm not big on driver restrictions, so no.

Just to follow up, the last death that I mentioned above, the girl apparently was going below the speed limit but without a seat belt and went off the side of the road (cause unknown, the guess is that she fell asleep behind the wheel) and the car went airborne and flipped.

From what I'm told, the seatbelt wouldn't have saved her; the flip threw her to the passenger side, the driver side was completely crushed in, and then the passenger seat came unbolted and pinned her (got her neck).

And there's confirmation about the cause of the one last week; he was talking on the cell phone. WITH HIS MOM. Bet she feels great about that one.

This whole week at school has been a disaster. It's really, really sad.

- Trip

Last edited:
In Connecticut, holding a cell phone whilst driving gets you arreted or a ticket; can't remember which.

And this is why I don't understand America; you have to be 21 to have a drink, but you can drive a two ton killing machine at 16.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom