• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

English HeartGold, SoulSilver names revealed: Fan site posts info before games' relea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: English HeartGold, SoulSilver names revealed: Fan site posts info before games' r

They're all Rockets :)
So, they just decided to make it more obvious by not having their names coincide with Greek mythology and letters? Nintendo just gives themselves so much more work with their habits of renaming things that don't need to be renamed.

Are you really upset that they gave the main female character an actual name instead trying to pass off the word "soul" as a name?

Or forgot you can name the character yourself >_>

Not like Kotone was Soul in the Japanese version.

Re: English HeartGold, SoulSilver names revealed: Fan site posts info before games' r

I wonder if there will be the option to change the characters names like you were in the other versions?
None of the other versions allowed you to change the other character's names unless they were your rival.

Except RSE where you really didn't have a rival in the traditional sense, just a friend helping daddy out on the Pokedex and a sickly boy who looked up to you.

Many of these supposed names make me VERY suspicious. Plus, is there ANY source for this yet? Aside for Kotone being Lyra (since that's on the official pokemon.com site), we HAVE NO SOURCE, so none of this can be taken as complete fact as of right now. don't we all remember what happened last time when we jumped to conclusions based off something that came from somewhere unconfirmed?

I expected something like "Pokéathlon" personally, and a few others make sense (Jade Orb, Ethan, Sport Ball, and a few others), however many of them seem horribly off or odd for Pokémon and make me suspicious of where they A: found this and B: if it's true or not. IMO "embedded tower" seems odd because the word "embed" just doesn't seem right to me (I know it's a similar meaning, but it just doesn't have that right feel, it's hard to explain), Dowsing MCHN makes me horribly suspicious, along with Lance becoming Archer as well as the name Enigma Stone (sounds very much like what some fans were calling it). Sinjoh Ruins also makes me very suspicious, along with the idea of them changing the slots into something else. I know the Europeans will have to have the change, but the US wasn't said to be getting that changed.

As for Lyra, personally I feel it's a bit too serious of a name for a girl like her. She's just too energetic and almost constantly smiling that Lyra just doesn't seem to fit as well as other names they could have picked.

The biggest dissapointment was "Lyra"! NO SOUL!? I'M GLAD I IMPORTED! BETTER NAMES THERE!

:| Her name was NEVER Soul. Please get your facts straight. She was shown as "Heart" in the preview screenshots, and her official Japanese name is Kotone. I really wish people would stop calling her Soul because that was never even her name in the first place.

Last edited:

Uhhhh... I dunno about Lyra... Seems like there are better suited names out there...

I expected something like "Pokéathlon" personally, and a few others make sense (Jade Orb, Ethan, Sport Ball, and a few others), however many of them seem horribly off or odd for Pokémon and make me suspicious of where they A: found this and B: if it's true or not. IMO "embedded tower" seems odd because the word "embed" just doesn't seem right to me (I know it's a similar meaning, but it just doesn't have that right feel, it's hard to explain), Dowsing MCHN makes me horribly suspicious, along with Lance becoming Archer as well as the name Enigma Stone (sounds very much like what some fans were calling it). Sinjoh Ruins also makes me very suspicious, along with the idea of them changing the slots into something else. I know the Europeans will have to have the change, but the US wasn't said to be getting that changed.

Dowsing MCHN wouldn't be the first time they abbreviated a word in an item name (EXP. All/Share?).

As for Enigma Stone, it was one of the translations of the Mysterious stone, much like the attack Dragon Meteor Shower, which tries to keep with the pun or Meteoric Swarm which is a more literal translation.

Sinjoh has already been explained as being a literal translation of Shinto (Shinnoh and Johto). Its back story even has something to do with it being the place where the people of Sinnoh and Johto first met.

As for the US not being "said to get that change", then never "said" anything when the slots were removed from Platinum. If I recall, the American and European Pokemon companies were supposed to collaborate to just being Pokemon International which should explain the close release dates between all versions of HgSs. Considering that it is now Pokemon International, it's only natural that the American release gets affected by this censorship.

haha, proton.

i really like archer, but all the other names i'm not too crazy about, ethan especially.

Lyra...not a bad name. When I first saw it though, I got flashbacks about the Dark Material Trilogy.

But Ethan, no. There could have been better choices (though I can't think of any), Ethen just sounds too plain for someone like Gold/Hibiki. Lyra sticks to the girl well in my mind, but Ethen doesn't.

Is there any news about the rival, or is he still nameless?

You know, I do want to know where Serebii got these from. The games don't come out for a month and a half. I'm curious how he got this information so early.

"Proton"? That's..An embarrassing name. Who names a kid "Proton"? Unless Lance changed his name or its a nickname..

I love all the names except the TR ones. Do they even follow a theme?

They're all rockets.

I'm still used to the Japanese names here.

The English names will grow on to me eventually.

Arianna actually isn't, but it's probably a feminine form of Ariane. I can't find any rocket named Archer, but I did see a missile. Petrel and Proton are rockets as well.

Dowsing MCHN wouldn't be the first time they abbreviated a word in an item name (EXP. All/Share?).

As for Enigma Stone, it was one of the translations of the Mysterious stone, much like the attack Dragon Meteor Shower, which tries to keep with the pun or Meteoric Swarm which is a more literal translation.

Sinjoh has already been explained as being a literal translation of Shinto (Shinnoh and Johto). Its back story even has something to do with it being the place where the people of Sinnoh and Johto first met.

Having an explanation that makes sense does not void the fact some names sound suspicious as well as the fact there is no listed source.

As for rebuttal-ing your points: EXP is a common abbreviation and is used all across the games. MCHN has not ever been used as an abbreviation for "Machine" as far as I remember (until now, if these names turn out to be true). Enigma Stone, while I know is a legit translation option, is still close to what fans were calling it, so it makes me a bit suspicious in that aspect. As for Sinjoh, Shinto would still work even in english without looking weird. Sinto or Shinto would work as translations/romanizations while still having the Sinnoh + Johto idea. The only explanation I could see for the change would be to remove the religious connection people will think of before they think "Sinnoh + Johto" (if, again, these are real).

As for me, I'll likely never call any of them by their US names unless someone looks at me like I have 8 heads when I use the JP names (which most of my friends know by now anyways). Even Lance I'll just call "ransu" (with that Japanese pronunciation sound), and out of habit I've gotten into calling E4 Lance "Wataru" to make the distinction for myself. :p

THAT FUCKER PETREL.

...doesn't have the same ring to it as THAT FUCKER LAMBDA.

So the American names are still named after Rockets? Even if they still somehow have a reason to be, I prefer the Japanese ones -they more recognizable... and they are actual names for starters. Anyways, I remember the same drama was made when Pluto became Charon, Handsome became Looker and so on, and just look at us now: no one complains about it and some of us (including me) even like them (I actually prefer Looker over Handsome), so who ones, those name will grow in us one of these days. Actually, I already like Arianna.

As for Lyra and Ethan... Ethan sounds too mature for me, but I'm OK with it. And Lyra I liked it a lot, but I loved the Spanish name, Helena (too bad that Mexico gets the English version only).

On the items topic, I don't give a damn, they're just items. Jade Orb is fine since Jade is green just like Rayquaza, and Sinjoh, although it sounds lame, I think the reason for the renamiing is because NoA didn't want to have troubles with religious references, as always, so they changed it. Maybe the Japanese liked it as they felt it was another nod to their real world culture and history (as everything in Johto is) but since Americans aren't familiar with the religion, they won't miss it.

And Sinjoh, although it sounds lame, I think the reason for the renamiing is because NoA didn't want to have troubles with religious references, as always, so they changed it.

Or maybe it's because the name in Japanese is the combination of Japanese Johto and Sinnoh, and NOA thought it would make more sense to use the English equivalent to make the theme of the name match.

While I like Arianna and Lyra, the other names can just go away.

WTF is up with the Rockets?

Ethan and Lyra are kind of weird too. Gold didn't need to be renamed, nor did the executives (apart from Lance of course)

Anyways, I remember the same drama was made when Pluto became Charon, Handsome became Looker and so on, and just look at us now: no one complains about it and some of us (including me) even like them (I actually prefer Looker over Handsome), so who ones, those name will grow in us one of these days. Actually, I already like Arianna.

As for Lyra and Ethan... Ethan sounds too mature for me, but I'm OK with it. And Lyra I liked it a lot, but I loved the Spanish name, Helena (too bad that Mexico gets the English version only).

On the items topic, I don't give a damn, they're just items. Jade Orb is fine since Jade is green just like Rayquaza, and Sinjoh, although it sounds lame, I think the reason for the renamiing is because NoA didn't want to have troubles with religious references, as always, so they changed it. Maybe the Japanese liked it as they felt it was another nod to their real world culture and history (as everything in Johto is) but since Americans aren't familiar with the religion, they won't miss it.

Looker and Charon are still bad names for me to this day; it's a shame that the Spanish version (with awful/funny translations such as A Bocajarro for the move Close Combat) got them right and used their Japanese names instead of the English ones (Plutón and Handsome). Pluto will be always to me a planet, regardless of what the IAU says.

With regards to the items, I like more Dowsing Machine that Itemfinder but I never thought they would try to fit both words using a abbreviation that looks plain wrong; at least they could have used 'DOWS Machine' or 'Dowsing Mach'. Jade Orb is worst than Green Orb (in RSE the other orbs weren't called 'Crimson/Cerise Orb' or 'Azure Orb') but at least they tried to keep the gem/jewel theme so I kind of accept it. And GB Player was not only nicer but what I guess is a nod to the Game Boy Player, the device used with the GameCube to emulate and play GB, GBC and GBA games.

NyaChan has a point with the word 'Sinto' instead of the horrid portmanteau they came with for the localization: Sinjoh sounds just unpleasant.

Last edited:

WTF is up with the Rockets?

Ethan and Lyra are kind of weird too. Gold didn't need to be renamed, nor did the executives (apart from Lance of course)

They are horrible names, I agree, but at least they still have names after real-life rockets.

Well, in Japanese version Gold was changed to Hibiki, which is why NoA changed into a normal human name as well. For Lance, well, if they have changed his name that has not started with "L", they would have to change Lambda's name as well, I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom