• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How Do You Feel About Romance?

Flame1819

The Smexy Assassin
Reaction score
How I feel writing romance:
Now+Kiss.png

How I feel reading romance:
forever_alone_by_foreveraloneplz.png

Anyway, in all seriousness, what is your opinion of romance in fiction? Not necessarily fanfiction, but fiction in general.

Now, let me explain why I'm asking. I've always had a bit of a hard time writing romance. Maybe it's because of a lack of personal experience, or maybe it's just because I've just never had much practice writing that stuff. I never make romance the focus of my stories (last time I tried to, it turned into a murder mystery halfway through o_o"), but instead usually have it as a minor thing that's going on in the background. I'm kind of a sucker for romantic stuff, to be honest. I really love a well-written romantic moment, even if it's just a hint that there's something going on. Which is why it usually works its way into my stories. Sure, as far as romantic buildup goes, I'm fine. I've gotten good practice making it flow smoothly... I think. Once the character(s) try to admit their feelings to the one they love, though, that's where I run into trouble. The scene gets really awkward really quickly. Maybe it's just my imagination because I'm still not entirely comfortable with romantic stuff. I just can't seem to get that scene, or what comes afterward, down well. Even if I do get the confession scene to the point that it doesn't suck, it really doesn't make much difference in the long run, because the characters themselves don't really acknowledge the fact that they're in love. I don't know where to go from there, I guess, if I can even get there.

But that's just me, really. I'm wondering what you guys think of writing (or just reading) this stuff. And if anyone has any tips they want to throw out to those who need advice and totally aren't named Flame1819, go ahead. I'll even compile them in this post for you, for easy access for those who want the help.

I don't particularly enjoy reading about romance, nor do I ever think or fantasize about it (I don't understand the whole "shipping" craze at all). Consequently, I never include it in my own writing. Although I've never actually attempted to write romance, I fear I'd make it really awkward so I steer clear of it at all costs. It's just a topic I have no interest in whatsoever and I don't think it's really necessary most of the time.

I feel good writing romance, cause I love it and enjoy it. ^^

Well, when pairings I like are used, that is. Otherwise, I might feel sick to my stomach. Weird, I know, but that's the way it is for me. But if you have trouble writing romance, the latest Academy lesson is my guide to writing it! You should check it out. :)

And if you enjoy reading romance, there's a good bit of it in my Fire Emblem fic, Dawn of Darkness. It isn't one of the main genres, but there are several couples in it. ;)

I'm not a huge fan of pure love stories (usually), but I do enjoy some romance here and there.

As for writing it... I have zero experience. I'm currently experimenting with romantic motivations in a spin-off fic I'm doing right now, and that's pretty difficult since I've never done anything like it before. I do plan on writing romance in the future, but I don't really know how that will go. I'll probably tackle it the same way I do everything: basing it off of personal experience the best I can, then roleplaying in my head from there to set the scene and establish the characters. That's what I do for all of my character interactions, and I don't see why romance would be any different.

I'm an absolute sucker for romance. Problem is....I suck at writing it. It always comes out feeling forced and out of place. I find I'm much more comfortable writing brother-sister dynamics.

....at least when it comes to writing two of my own characters. If one of the characters is written by someone else (in a roleplay, for example), I have an easier time crafting a romantic attraction from my character's side. No idea why that might be.

I think I might be a bit of a sucker for romance myself, as long as it's not too cheesy/fluff-filled/cliche and whatever else, otherwise I'd just feel sick. I do like reading it when it's mixed into some other genres, like it's just there as a sort of subplot/subconflict of sorts - I don't particularly like just full-blown romance stuff. XD I think that pairing characters up and just tossing in some romance in general can have a huge impact on the characters themselves, like I think it'd be a nice window for character development, one way or another. Plus, writing emotional/sentimental scenes can be fun sometimes, I think, and it also just happens to be one of the few things I think I'm at least decent at. Like I find that I write detailed stuff better and those that are somewhat emotional or tap into the inner workings of a character's mind/heart and reasoning and all that stuff, so Psychological or Interpersonal stuff basically. XD That being said, I still find a lot of trouble writing those scenes, though I can't figure out why. I'm just as stuck as you are.

I agree with you, MuddyMudkip! Emotional scenes are always so fun for me to write! It didn't matter which couple I was writing, I've enjoyed doing all of their romantic scenes so far. ^^

Personally I think romance is a good character developer for stories, but should never be the entire point. Always have it as interaction not plot. In my original novel there is a romance between Nomad the main character and a Leet Soldier Alice, but its not what the story is about. It just helps develop the characters. They express real emotions to one another. They show what they truly value, and it even makes Nomad change his philosophies so that he can believe in humanity again.

I actually prefer writing established couples, instead of showing a couple's relationship from the start. That's why all of my characters in relationships are committed when they're first introduced instead of starting out single.

I always really struggled with finding the right balance of emotions when writing romance from the start. A lot of romantic tropes seem either contrived or melodramatic to me, and I really don't like writing fluffy things too often. In real life couples tend to stop being too saccharine once they're out of the "honeymoon" phase, so it's easier for me to write something that feels more natural then.

The way I feel about romance is i'm suckish on writing it I struggle on writing it it takes me a very long time to thing on write a story and come to really think about the ideas of what i should put on a story and put it all together in one story it really confuses me and I get fustrated on writing it not to mention I have no idea on what to write to a conclusion.

as much as I am for having a relationship as a strong form of character development, and as much as I'd like to consider writing about such a possible subplot... I've no experience with it, so I have a pretty clear idea that I'll have difficulty being convincing about it...

such things should be handled with care, though. It might indirectly clue someone in how the author views romance and relationships and such. I'd prefer to treat it seriously as I would grow tired of something resembling a chick flick, but as to how seriously. I suppose I'll never know until i ask around or get in such a situation myself (I'd prefer the former, but life is usually full of surprises...)

as much as I am for having a relationship as a strong form of character development, and as much as I'd like to consider writing about such a possible subplot... I've no experience with it, so I have a pretty clear idea that I'll have difficulty being convincing about it...

such things should be handled with care, though. It might indirectly clue someone in how the author views romance and relationships and such. I'd prefer to treat it seriously as I would grow tired of something resembling a chick flick, but as to how seriously. I suppose I'll never know until i ask around or get in such a situation myself (I'd prefer the former, but life is usually full of surprises...)

I'd say having real-life experience probably means nothing. I've been in two relationships so far, both ended in disaster (the first time was my fault, the second time it was hers), and neither one has made a lick of difference in my approach to writing relationships. I still suck. :p

Romance is like salt: it shouldn't be everything but it can improve everything if you sprinkle a little on.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom