• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How do you plan to take out Pokemon Trainer Red(Spoilers)?

I beat his team on Crystal with a team 20 levels under his, so I plan to do the same thing again

I beat him with a lot of Pokemon severely underlevel. A Lv. 71 Ho-oh, a Lv. 55 Lugia, Lv. 50-something Ampharos, Lv. 52 Espeon, and my Lv. 80-or-90-something Feraligatr. ._.

Let's just say, I'm thankful for the static ability. And that his Pikachu was dumb enough to activate Ampharos, who has the ability.

Last edited:
He was pretty easy for me. here is what I used.

Rhyperior-Hammer Arm, Rock Wrecker, Giga Impact,Earthquake.
Empoleon-Aqua Jet, Surf, Hydro Cannon, Avalance.
Tyhplosion-Shadow Claw, Earthquake, Blast Burn, Flamethrower.
Garchomp-Dragon Rush, Dragon Claw, Dig, Fire Fang.
Rampardos- Head Smash, Focus Energy, Zen Headbutt, Headbutt.
Geodude-HM Slave.

All but the HM slave were lvl 80. Have Rhyperior take out pikachu with Earthquake. For Blastoise switch to Empoleon (disadvantage) so it can block all the attacks and counter with Surf, Aqua Jet, and Avalance. When near death use Hydro Cannon and heal. For Snorlax use Rhyperior and use Hammer arm. (Result may very for this part). When snorlax uses Blizzard my Rhyperior survives it and kepp using full restores till no more Blizzards. Then pile it with Hammer Arms. Switch to Typlosion for Venusaur. Just use Blast Burn to end fast. For Lapras call out Rampardos and have the berry (that reduces water damage) on it. Use Head Smash right away. Finally for Charizard use Empoleon or Rhyperior(I would pick Rhyperior for it's defence) and keep using full restores until Charizard has no more Dragon Pulses. Now use Rock Wrecker (Rhyperior) or Hydro Cannon (Empoleon) and this should end it. For Venusaur you can also use Garchomp with It's fire fang. All were lvl 80 (except HM slave) and this wa fairly super easy. I also use same team for Elite four (Except instead of HM slave it is either Lugia or Noctowl). (Please note this guide for red is mine do not put on other sites and this is for Heartgold version).

It took me a few tries, but I got him. My highest poké at the time was my lv75 Raikou. Most of his team was ridiculously easy with type advantage (especially his Pikachu, it was sad how badly I destroyed the highest level trainer Poké in the game... Mamoswine survives an Iron Tail and I Earthquake it for a OHKO), but Snorlax was a huge problem. Once I took down Snorlax, the rest of his team was no problem.

Beat him with huggles...
But if that doesn't work meganium for Blastoise
Swapert for Charizard and possibly pikachu
Groudon for pikachu
Ho-oh for venasaur
Gengar for snorlax

My level 100 Raikou sweeped the first 5 and I only had to use 2 full restores,and My level 71 Ho-oh got a critical hit sacred fire on venusaur for a 1HKO.

He's too easy.

I'm thinking of trying Red with a team of level 40'ish Pokemon. They will include FEAR, Paraflinch Togekiss, Super Luck/Scope Lens Night Slash Honchkrow, etc. I'll vid it if it works out.

For now, I can just OHKO all of his Pokemon without losing a single HP on my Deoxys-A :|

Defeating Red was much easier than I expected I defeated all of his team with level 50's pokemon and the only one I had any trouble with was his Lapras which defeated itself with struggle after a long battley with my Espeon.

I'm debating that right now. I still have three Kanto badges left, and right now everybody on my team is 51-54 range. I might look into getting a stronger water type -- I've only had Quagsire for the game, though he's held up well so far against everything (I suppose we'll see when I get to Blaine).

I also finally evolved Togetic, whose stats outside Spec. Defense were dreadful. I'm having a hard time creating a solid move set for it, though. Anyone have attack ideas for a Togekiss (or a better option)?

I have been training for Red... I never like to lose ever, and would sooner cut off the game than have a loss under my belt... so I'm training... I never go into a battle unless the majority of my pokemon are above the highest level of the opponent's pokemon.

My 4 main pokemon are all at level 72 right now (i.e. not nearly high enough) Typlosion, Quagsire, Noctowl and Ampharos.... and Mewtwo is level 71 but I doubt I'll use it.

This is going to take a while... especially with no VS seeker.

My plan is to go with Legendaries the first time. Mewtwo, Zapdos, a few others... Just so I can get my favourite dude, Bulbasaur, and breed him to as good as I can get, and then fight with a team of favourites.

Venusaur for Blastoise, possibly Snorlax
Scizor for Venusaur, possibly Pika, and Lapras
Rhyperior for Charizard, Pika, and possibly Snorlax
Magmortar for Venusaur, possibly Lapras, Snorlax
Electrivire for Blastoise, Lapras
And finally, Tauros for every one.

I beat him with only 10 full restores, 4 Lv. 40 Pokemon (no ledgendaries), and 1 Max Revive.

EPIC FAIL, RED.

My SoulSilver team of Meganium, Furret, Espeon, Magmortar, Mantine, and Dragonite took Red out pretty easily.

HeartGold team is Feraligatr, Noctowl, Arcanine, Miltank, Umbreon, and Gliscor. I'm expecting a more... difficult time with this team. It may not be as bad as I am expecting, but I don't think this team is even ready to do it.

I thought that Red was pretty easy. I beat him with little trouble using my team of lv60s:

Feraligatr
Ampharos
Heracross
Dragonite
Donphan
Tyranitar

~ Has anyone seen the video on YouTube where a player named SkyEFX sets up a Magikarp and sweeps Red's entire team?

I'll use my Typhlosion, Espeon, or Noctowl to take out Venusaur, Ampharos to take out Blastoise, Quagsire to very easily demolish Pikachu (all it takes is one Earthquake, even though she's 28 levels lower than it), Ampharos or Quagsire to take out Charizard, Ampharos for Lapras (Ampharos is gonna be getting quite a bit of action), and taking out Snorlax will be a team effort.

8 Full Restores
2 Max Revives
3 Ethers

Lv.56 Dragonite
Lv.54 Typhlosion
Lv.60 Golem
Lv.58 Vaporeon
Lv.52 Snorlax
Lv.57 Zapdos

Pretty tough Battle, but his Pikachu was epic fail. One earthquake from a lv.60 Golem.

Bah, dispose of the hail for something like Sun or Rain, and use a level 20 Shedinja who walls 4 of his pokes. For Charizard and Snorlax, utilise a decent level 85 or so Primeape.

The usual - I throw my Platinum team at him. I'm training several other teams for competitive battling, so I don't have time to level-grind pokemon I won't use (legends, for example. I refuse to use Ubers outside of in-game battles.(Don't hit me with a Wii remote!)).

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom