• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How will Bulbapedia handle Gen 6?

Sneazy Sneasel

Is a pretty Sneasel
Reaction score
there's something that been on my mind for a while, how will bulbapedia react to the changes gen 6 is bringing like how are they going to get the infomation on pokemon stats and move lists for X and Y if the 3ds isn't hackable like the ds. also how will the sprite gallery on a pokemon's page work now that the games are going full 3D and how will a gym leader team listing work with 3d modals?

Just a guess, but you'd probably be better off asking in the wiki's forum. Those are the people that will be doing the reacting.

A lot of the info we're going to be getting from guides, and it will be manually inputted. Things like location and learnsets. And a lot of that information we don't get immediately anyway. Stuff like catch rate took quite a while in past gens if memory serves, so it's not like bulbapedia magically transforms over the course of release week.

I have actually wondered what the plan will be for images. Stuff like Showdown will likely use sprites other people make as not to attempt to transition to 3D models. No idea what legit sites are going to do about it.

In regards of the sprite gallery, they might take high quality screen shots from youtube (or not) videos and "crop" the 3D models in order to use them in the gallery. There are probably better ways to do that, though.

For the information, we're hoping that someone will still be able to get data from the game code.

There are a few staff members that have preordered or are planning to buy the guide, though last time that was released a few days later than the games. The B2W2 guide had lists and approximate rarities of Pokemon available in each area and a list of items available in each area, for example. Things like move lists will be a bit slower but can be found by playing the game, even if we can't get access to a list from the data.

For the models, the current plan is a front/rear image of the model, which can be used in the same manner as the current 2D sprites. This is possibly the most up-in-the-air part, as there are very few people with a way to get images from a 3DS game without taking a photo of the screen (which is generally of unacceptable qualilty). The plan may change in future, but we have to consider that the amount of images on the species pages affect how quickly they load, and too many images will actually be annoying. Some of the angles (e.g. side on) may be uploaded to the archives for use via the species categories, without being used on Bulbapedia.

No system is "unhackable". The 3DS has some good anti-piracy measures, but as long as the code can be extracted from the game, the data can be extracted from it.

We'll probably get both art and menu sprites for all pokémon and then some, so that's covered.

For battle images... are they really necessary? They are only used for a gallery and then the front graphics as icons here and there. I guess something like how Colosseum is handled could work, but if there are 2D portraits of Pokémon in the game, say, for a pokédex listing, we should probably just put that up.

The main problem probably could be the lack of trainer portraits.

I'm sure lots of people will try to figure how things work beyond what is shown in the guide, too. Even if through sheer experimentation.

I just want to be able to help, seeming I'm getting both games on the release day and I hate it when the forum is locked up and I can't help!

I'm wondering about how stuff like artwork etc. will be released this time. I mean, I don't ever remember Japan officially revealing the artwork for all the characters etc. online, but it was thanks to the U.S site that we got official high quality artwork (be it medium dimensions) of many characters.

I'd suspect the Pokémon artwork will be the same as usual, being available a few weeks/months after the release.

Yeah, the trainer art/portraits is what is going to be tricky. Now that individual trainers have their own art, like Lass, Hex Maniac, etc. It'll be interesting to see how all that is handled.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom