• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review HZ033: Roaring Black Rayquaza

What an intense episode for Explorer try to tame and capture Rayquaza. But we knew is in vain ad it legendary is so OP as Amethio's Ceruledge get wrecked. Finally, we can see the Terapagos Terastal Form in order to repelled the legendary Draco Meteor. But not without the power from others. It reverse back to original form.

On top of it, Diana try to help her granddaughter and Roy to train. It a decent episode.

Overall rating: B+

Okay episode. I didn't expect that much to come from Rayquaza battling Amethio. It was nice to see the dude use Corviknight to battle for a change. It was nice to see Liko try to save Roy from Rayquaza's attack. I was glad to see Diana training with Liko and Roy, but my gosh, can Wattrel and Hattena ever be the ones to participate in these training battles? I'm just really getting sick and tired of Sprigatito and Fuecoco being the only ones allowed to do anything. 5/10.

Wattrel I agree but Hattena just in general doesnt seem like it would be much of a battler anyways. Maybe once it evolves, If it evolves.

Anyways sprigatito and fuecoco have overgrown and blaze if there was ever any doubt.

but my gosh, can Wattrel and Hattena ever be the ones to participate in these training battles? I'm just really getting sick and tired of Sprigatito and Fuecoco being the only ones allowed to do anything. 5/10.
You're not the only one. These writers need to learn how to balance the teams of main characters.

Last edited:
This was a good episode! I finally got to eat good with two pokemon battles!

• I’m glad that Amethio used his Corviknight for once. Rayquaza really tried to kill his ace lol, but I expect no less from a legendary monster.
  • The training session was good and I’m glad the battle wasn’t too short. Coincidentally both battles in this episode were 2 vs. 1
  • There were some shots in this episode that looked very good. The sunsets in horizons are beautiful! Reminds me of XY.
  • It was nice to have Diana around, but I figured she would not stay around forever. It going to be interesting to see what progress and things she discovers on her own.
  • The adults in the room need to call out Roy for being so wreckless and melodramatic. What I would like to know is why does he wants to catch and fight Rayquaza so badly? What does he hope to accomplish by doing that? I need motivations and so far he is pretty flat.

This episode really showed the difference between adults/kids. Horizons is basically the Pokemon games or Ash era series if there was adult supervision. Both Roy and Liko were willing to interact with Rayquaza if it weren't for Friede/Diana/Murdock. I understand that HZ is keeping it more real and the threats actually feel threatening, but at some point it gets annoying, especially when we're already 3 hero mons in.

I'm usually able to defend Roy, but this is idk which time he acts like this. Roy wants to battle a very strong opponent -> He fails -> He's upset and there's no follow up development. The writer's need to work out something for him, because it's difficult to build a battle-oriented character in a series with so little battling.

While Diana leaves, she's actually getting even more involved with the overall story by investigating Explorers (mainly Hamber probably). I feel like Diana might end up in a sticky situation and will need the RVT. They already set up Squawkabilly as the messenger. Personally, more Diana the better, because what a great character she is. I'm gonna need a Captain vs Arcanine battle at one point.

I never expected Hamber to become an important character, but it looks like he is being set as a big threat and now being associated with both Amethio and Diana.

Very action heavy this episode was! Amethio, the explorers, Rayquaza and Diana? Roy and Liko sure had a lot to happen to them in this one. Terapagos finally shows it's Terastal form and yeah, especially with that new DLC out, we're for sure going to get more answers later down the road. I'll give this an 9.5. Really enjoyed this episode!

Rayquaza easily beats Ametheo's Ceruledge and then Roy still thinks it's a good idea to try to fight it. Terapagos comes to the rescue briefly showing off its Tera form. Rayquaza then wanders off. Liko's grandmother decides to leave the ship to investigate the explorers but first has a training battle against Liko and Roy (under one hit against Arcanine is a win rules because a pair of unevolved starters have no chance of winning a real battle against a high-level Arcanine). Liko and Roy win via clever strategizing.

A fairly action-packed episode. Someone needs to tell Roy that he isn't anywhere near ready to fight a legendary Pokémon.

Holy Arceus was Roy utterly insufferable in the first half of the episode. It's not even endearing given how clearly outmatched and out of his depth he is regarding Rayquaza; he can't even handle Amethio, whom he just witnessed get his ace clobbered - yet, he decides to repeatedly resist Friede and miserably screech demands at Rayquaza only to be pacified by randomly shot Draco Meteors. The lack of self-awareness in his and his Pokémon's lack in strength is just, so frustrating; I desperately need the writers to make Liko & Roy have some substance to pursue this thinly construed goal of theirs as watching adults continuously hold them back akin to preventing them from touching a hot stove is just not it.

Oh, look! DLC promo- oh, we're...it's over already? Just...10 seconds of Terapagos' form change? Aha, okay.

Terapagos transforms for a brief moment before reverting. As expected, they will need to reunite all of the Six Heroes before Terapagos can truly claim its full power. I'm guessing Kleavor will be next.

I can understand why some people would find Roy's behavior to be annoying but I feel like you have to think about it from his perspective. His dream is to battle and recapture Rayquaza, and in that moment, he thought Amethio was going to swipe it from him. He is just a kid, he is going to act emotionally sometimes, especially when Horizons is taking a more "realistic" approach to the world. In his mind, this was his moment, and Rayquaza didn't even acknowledge him at all. It obviously didn't go how he expected.

I liked that we got to see Liko and Roy battle Diana and technically win on her conditions. I do hope we get to see Wattrel and Hatenna become more involved soon. Diana is going to leave next episode, but they already set up her Squawkabilly as her messenger for when she inevitably returns to probably drop some big reveals.

He is just a kid, he is going to act emotionally sometimes, especially when Horizons is taking a more "realistic" approach to the world.
"Realistically" though, a ten year old would be screaming, running the other way from a 7 meter long creature threatening to kill them via exploding meteors. I don't think picking and choosing aspects of realism like this makes for engaging Pokémon media, to be honest. At least prior to Horizons, there was always the underlying mythos that any 10+ year old was trusted enough to journey by their lonesome into the world provided they had Pokémon.

"Realistically" though, a ten year old would be screaming, running the other way from a 7 meter long creature threatening to kill them via exploding meteors. I don't think picking and choosing aspects of realism like this makes for engaging Pokémon media, to be honest. At least prior to Horizons, there was always the underlying mythos that any 10+ year old was trusted enough to journey by their lonesome into the world provided they had Pokémon.
Agreed. Honestly cherry-picking what is realism at some points while moving the goal posts at others ends up reflecting poorly on Horizons because it makes it seem inconsistent by trying to have it both ways. Either the kids are treated like real world kids Isekaid into the Pokémon world and are respond to things in that manner or like kids who grew up in the Pokémon world where mystical creatures harnessing great power is normal but you can’t have it both ways.

Me last week: complaints that any interesting plot this series has is always solved with seeing Terapagos or the titans shine and 10 minutes of discussion
This episode: does exactly the same thing once again!

Sigh...At least you could say it was entertaining. The Rayquaza part planted some seeds for Amethio and Roy's development. We'll see Amethio's next week, but like others I have my doubts about Roy's. The Diana battle was fun too, with the climate effects and all that. Her reasons for leaving are actually pretty valid (though I think the castle and its Pokemon should have been a part of it...seriously, what happened to them?).

Holy Arceus was Roy utterly insufferable in the first half of the episode. It's not even endearing given how clearly outmatched and out of his depth he is regarding Rayquaza; he can't even handle Amethio, whom he just witnessed get his ace clobbered - yet, he decides to repeatedly resist Friede and miserably screech demands at Rayquaza only to be pacified by randomly shot Draco Meteors. The lack of self-awareness in his and his Pokémon's lack in strength is just, so frustrating; I desperately need the writers to make Liko & Roy have some substance to pursue this thinly construed goal of theirs as watching adults continuously hold them back akin to preventing them from touching a hot stove is just not it.
Couldn't agree with you more, especially about that first bit. So glad to know there's others like you who felt the same way as I did watching that.

Back
Top Bottom