• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review HZ046: How Thrilling! Orange Academy

A perfect start to the new arc and an exciting peek at what's to come for Liko, Roy and the rest.

Great to see Nemona and Ann once more alongside all of the Elite Four members making their anime debut (meaning nobody's getting left out this time around) and I can already tell that Coral's going to be tons of fun.

Only Friede popping up as well so it seems he'll be the only Rising Volt Tackler member we'll see appear every now and then as of now.

An alright start of the third arc. Love to see how Liko went all around region and end up back to her home again with the Academy for meeting Elite Four and Gym Leader to learn for Terastal. Finally for Liko for some payback against her classmate, Ann for the lost during in first arc. Not a bad episode with the Explorer infiltration at the conclusion.

Overall rating: B+

Last edited:
I’m glad this arc started off with a pokemon battle, which was an enjoyable one as well. Hopefully Anne joins Liko & Co in their adventures while she is at school. More development for their rivalry would be a nice change of pace. I also noticed they finally used new music for the battle scene, which felt refreshing.

Today's ep is pretty big animation wise as it was the first to be done by Team Kumemura ending Team Kato's involvement after 15 years.

Decent episode to start this new arc. I like that they quickly introduced a lot of characters here so that we won't have to focus too much on that as we move deeper into the series. It's great to see Ann again and I hope we'll get to see more interactions with her and Liko, Roy, and Dot as they stay at the Naranja Academy. I'm hopeful that we will see a good amount of her since they actually put her in the intro. Nemona looks like she'll be annoying as ever, but I'm excited that Penny is here and can't wait to see what they do with her.

The battle between Liko and Ann was nice, and I look forward to seeing more battles throughout this arc. My favorite part of this episode was that the Volt Tacklers only appeared for a small portion at the end and barely appeared in the opening/ending. I'm really excited to the focus almost solely on the kids this time around and seeing them grow as characters. My biggest negative for this episode and this whole arc is that the Explorers will be present and seemingly quite frequently. I could definitely do without them. Coral's presence will likely be the only thing that makes their inclusion tolerable.

Overall, Terastal debut is off to a good start. 8/10.

My biggest negative for this episode and this whole arc is that the Explorers will be present and seemingly quite frequently. I could definitely do without them. Coral's presence will likely be the only thing that makes their inclusion tolerable.
Well c'mon, it can't be a good show without antagonists.

And yeah, Coral's presence is definitely the best thing about the Explorers; she's certainly my favorite.

Hm...well, can't wait for the episode about the kids potentially losing their tera orbs - Dot's absolutely not fit enough to wield one currently, but they're probably gonna make it a Liko episode so they can remind you YET AGAIN about her and her weedcat's bond, just in case you've forgotten about it since the last six times they've beat you over the head about it and shoved it down your throat

Koraidon and Miraidon in the ED are curious though - wonder how that's going to pan out

Liko is finally going to have a badge quest? Maybe I will give this anime another chance. If that is the case we finally have a female protagonist doing gyms after all these years!

Interesting how Penny and Nemona have been introduced but Arven hasn't. I hope they will adapt the plot with him and Sada eventually.

Funny how the bad guys said that their names were Onigiri and Sandwich lol. I wonder if the English dub will call him Jellyfilled Donut. :enzap:

OK, so according to Dendra, each kid will battle two Gym Leaders max, but then that leaves two left.

If Anne, Cor-er, Sandwich and Onigiri are taking the Terastal course as well, then maybe we’ll get them battling the last two.

Liko is finally going to have a badge quest? Maybe I will give this anime another chance. If that is the case we finally have a female protagonist doing gyms after all these years!

She is not on a Badge quest.

Liko, Roy, and Dot are all doing Gyms, but only select ones.

Last edited:
OH MY GOD!!!!! :love::love::love::love::love:

There is SO much to unpack here:
  • The story is going from an adventure story to a school story that's also still an adventure story!
  • Pop-song-style theme song and ending song are HAWT :fingergunz:
  • SO MUCH SETUP for the next months of episodes!!!
    • A refresher on the kids' goals, that's handy!
    • LIKO WINS A BATTLE, OMGGG!!!!! The kids aren't pathetic anymore!!! :yay::yay::yay:
    • With all these restrictions on the Tera Orbs, might a moment come where the kids have to break those rules, getting themselves in trouble at a critical moment???
    • Will the kids get Gym badges???
    • What the heck is the Explorers' plan???
      • What genius decided their aliases were "Onigiri" and "Sandwich"???
      • How did Agate become a school admin???
    • What's up with Friede's strange brown orbs, and the outfit underneath them???
    • And will Nemona ever get that battle with Roy???
  • GORGEOUS animation once again!!! How did they manage to work with all those gradients in people's hair??? The effort they put into this show, man!!!
    • Especially the animated ending to Friede's Pokémon Seminar, instead of just having a still image (°O°)

Honestly, Terastal Debut feels like a real new arc, compared to The Gleam of Terapagos. I hope that means the show's getting into a groove now! I'm excited for what's to come :bulbaWave:

Last edited:
Is that what it was? I took it as they must battle their one assigned Gym Leader twice. (Once at the start of the arc again towards the end)
This is how I'm interpreting it as well, but I could be misunderstanding it. Though, given that the ending only focused on the first three Gym Leaders and we're already gonna be seeing the kids take their first tests throughout the next three episodes, I'm inclined to believe my current understanding is correct. Maybe there's gonna be more tests after the first two? :chansey:

Anyway, this was a really good episode to start off the new arc! I like that they managed to squeeze in a lot of cameos from the Paldean characters without it feeling too forced. The battle between Liko and Ann was really fun to watch too; even though Ann lost, it's clear that she and her Dewott haven't been slouching at all throughout the last 40 episodes. I'm also intrigued at the implication that Penny is already working with the League, since we can see her casually hanging out with the E4 members. Curious to see if this means the original Team Star plotline has already been wrapped up and we'll instead be focusing on the aftermath (Penny working with the League, and her teammates manning the training centers repurposed from their bases), or if the anime is just gonna be doing a different take on the Team Star plotline.

Oh yeah, I'm also really glad that Liko and her buddies immediately recognized the Explorers trying to not-so-subtly join the academy. As funny as the Ash and Team Rocket shenanigans were, I'm really glad we'll not be seeing a literal repeat of that. I hope we'll get to see more interactions between the main gang and the Explorers throughout this new arc. Also, "Sandwich" and "Onigiri" are absolutely amazing undercover names.

With all these restrictions on the Tera Orbs, might a moment come where the kids have to break them, getting themselves in trouble???
Yeah, the particular rule stating that they're only allowed to use Tera during their tests against the Gym Leaders sounded really weird. I'd understand if it's something really big and disruptive like Dynamax, but Tera doesn't seem nearly as dangerous to use. This feels like a very obvious Chekov's Gun waiting to go off.

The school assigns a gym leader, who then gives them two tests: Basic and Implementation

For the Basic test, they have to pass muster, which could mean losing the fight, but understanding how Tera works (so, using it smartly rather than recklessly, which is probably what's going to set apart Liko and Roy, and Onyx and Sango)

Implementation is probably the more serious battle to get a badge that shows they passed

A nice start to the Tera Debut chapter!

It was nice to see so many Scarlet/Violet characters appear. The entire Elite 4 and Champion making their debut all at once is cool. Penny also got to show up, even though she didn't say anything this episode. With Nemon and Penny in the anime, I wonder if Arven will get to show up. It'd be rude to exclude him. I'm sure we'll get to see Nemona vs. Roy soon enough.

The school assigning them Gym Leaders makes sense. They aren't battling for Gym Badges, it is just a part of their course. If each of them is going to battle two Gym Leaders, Anne could potentially have the two that our main trio don't get. I recall Grusha being on the poster, so they'll probably have a more significant appearance than some of the others. Liko beating Anne is a nice way to show her growth from the beginning to now.

Of course, we have the Explorers in disguise. Sango is really the only interesting and enjoyable member to watch, so I hope she does most of the heavy lifting in terms of appearances.

I wonder what hunch Friede is following. If Lucius' Entei is really a Gouging Fire as some people believe, they could potentially encounter it during this arc. I hope that they don't totally completely neglect the other Rising Volt Tacklers. They're all cool and I'd still like to see them at least semi-frequently.

Back
Top Bottom