• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

I noticed this about Misty's Togepi

Miki-Fan

Pokemon Master in College
Reaction score
I noticed that it only seems to cry when it's:
A) Hungry
B) Seperated from other Pokemon

It doesn't seem to cry whenever it gets seperated from Misty

I wish Togepi was more like Brock's Happiny, it would have been more entertaining.

^I hope togetic will come back to Misty as a Togekiss actually :/

I thought it was because Misty spray painted all those silly little designs on its eggshell.

I think Cynthia will debut Togekiss, since she has one in Platinum. :p

I think Cynthia will debut Togekiss, since she has one in Platinum. :p

That sounds much more plausible. In fact, since it's been reported that the video game producers and the anime producers tend to collaborate on occasion, I wouldn't be surprised if the reasoning behind giving Shirona a Togekiss in Platinum was just so they'd have an easy opportunity to showcase it in the anime.

The reason Togepi doesn't cry when it's separated from Misty is because Togepi actually hates Misty, at least at the beginning of their relationship. However it doesn't really have the facial expressions to express it's discontent, so nobody realizes that Togepi hates Misty's guts. The dislike started when Misty started drawing graffiti on the egg, however after a while Togepi started to suffer from Stockholm syndrome and it hasn't recovered since.

Togepi doesn't cry when it's separated from Misty because it took advantage of the fact that Misty, a typical helicopter "parent", would always be there for it.

Something I don't get is why she never let it battle when (I think) she was supposedly aware that it was very much capable of taking on a battle, unless she was clouded by her "helicopter" parent mentality

Something I don't get is why she never let it battle when (I think) she was supposedly aware that it was very much capable of taking on a battle, unless she was clouded by her "helicopter" parent mentality

I don't think she ever was aware. If I'm not mistaken, most of it was done behind her back. Like Togepi waving it's little arms for metronome when she'd be involved in a confrontation. Many times I'd remember her blinking and questioning what happened. If she ever did figure out though, maybe she was worried 'cause one hit would scramble the little thing.
---

Anyway, the topic post raises a good point. Togepi never really belonged to Misty anyway. In fact, it should've gone to anyone but her. It was dull in her hands as a result. No different from her backpack.

Misty underestimated Togepi. She never let it battle so she could cuddle it. I was glad to see Togepi show ANY sign of a move at all. Then I loved to laugh as they all looked around cluelessly. At least Brock has figured out that "cute little baby pokemon" can can actually do something.

The real question is...I think Misty's arms would get tired after holding Togepi in the same position, all the time, episode after episode. Right?

Togepi was screwed over, because Ash's Phanpy, May's Eevee, and Brock's Happiny, all new moves when the hatched (or at least compared to Togepi). But Togepi didn't (They kept mentioning how a baby Pokemon can't use moves), it's really sad. And Togepi only used moves when the gang weren't looking.

Oh well there's nothing to do about it.

I personally blame the Johto saga for how Togepi turned out. Think of it this way, for both Kanto and Orange Islands Togepi was fairly decent. In Kanto it had just hatched, and in Orange it had a subplot of using Metronome when Misty didn't notice.

Then comes the Johto saga, and instead of actually building up on Togepi's story, the writers literally do next to nothing with it aside from a few more metronome's here and there.

We really should have seen Togepi evolve into Togetic in mid-Johto, not have her hold it for all 150 eps and then do it in Hoenn.

Personally I blame Johto for the poor handling of every single pokemon in that region. It wasn't just Ash's Pokemon that got screwed over, it was all of Misty and Brock's Pokemon too. There's a reason why people tend to forget that Pokemon like Crobat, Pineco, Corsola or even Politoed were ever part of the main cast, its because the Johto saga screwed over almost every single Pokemon owned by a main character that region and hardly gave any of them proper screentime.

So in conclusion, it was all Johto's fault. The writers could have developed it there but chose not to. But considering this is the same saga that abandoned the GS ball subplot as if it was nothing, who knows what kind of crack the writers were on at the time.

To paraphrase Korobooshi Kojiro's (Habunake's) observation of the Piplup hate, it's like Johto killed Scott's father.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom