• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

In Memoriam: Celebrities

We've now lost another sports legend: Franco Harris. Harris was a running back for the Pittsburgh Steelers who was famous for the "Immaculate Reception", an incident during a playoff game against the Oakland Raiders in 1972 where QB Terry Bradshaw threw the ball where it bounced off the helmet of a Raiders player and Harris caught it before it could hit the ground and he then ran it for a game-winning touchdown. His death at the age of 72 happened only days before the 50 year anniversary of the game and a ceremony where the Steelers were set to retire his jersey number.

Maxwell Fraser aka Maxi Jazz from British electronic group Faithless has died aged 65 (Faithless singer Maxi Jazz dies aged 65). One of my first albums was the complation album Hit Machine 17 back in (I believe) was 1997 and one of the songs on the album was Insomnia and in recent years fallen in love with some of their other songs like Take the Long Way Home. I just listened to Insomnia on YouTube after hearing the sad news. Thank you for the memories from a child of the 90s.

And now, ending off 2022 we have lost his holiness former Pope Benedict XVI, who served as pope from 2005 following the death of his predecessor Pope John Paul II until his abdication in 2013, which was the first time in 600 years that a pope chose to abdicate the papacy. This is the first year since 1830 where both a British monarch and a pope, whether they be current or former, died in the same year.

Edit: We also lost famed journalist Barbara Walters on the 30th at the age of 93. She was a trailblazer for women in journalism and being the host of numerous shows like Today, 20/20, and The View.

Last edited:
R.I.P Viktor Tsoi.

I might not have been around to be at your concerts or the like, but your music will be in my heart for as long as they stay.

Quite a few celebrities have died in the past few weeks.

Anita Pointer, a member of the iconic girl group the Pointer Sisters, died at the age of 74 from cancer.
Ken Block, a rally driver, was tragically killed in a snowmobile accident at the age of 55.
Jeff Beck, a legendary guitarist for the Yardbirds and other acts, met his end at the age of 78 from a bout of bacterial meningitis.

And the biggest death I'm going to report on was today, was when Lisa Marie Presley, a singer and the only child of legendary singer Elvis Presley, died at the age of 54 from cardiac arrest.

British presenter and comedian Paul O' Grady, best known for his drag persona Lily Savage, passed away suddenly last night. He was 67.

I used to love watching his For The Love Of Dogs show.
That was aired recently on SBS here in Australia, but didn't get to watch it.

Veteran Australian radio and television host "Uncle Doug" Muray has died in Sydney aged 71 (Vale: Doug Mulray | TV Tonight). He hosted the infamous Australia's Naughiest Home Videos (Viewer Discretion advised for the link in the article due to the discussion of some of the content of the show in question), which was axed by the legend himself, former Channel Nine owner Kerry Packer in a phone call to the station within 34 minutes of starting. I won't get into the show's content as this is a family website after all. After "technical difficulties", it was replaced by an episode of Cheers (due to timezones here in Australia, viewers in Perth didn't even see the show).

Last edited:
Paul Cattermore from S Club 7 (a British pop band from the 1990s) has died aged 46 just weeks after S Club 7 announced a comeback tour (Paul Cattermole: S Club 7 star dies aged 46). It has triggered memories for me in which whenever their debut single "Bring It All Back" was played on TTFM (now KIIS 101.1) here in Melbourne, then night host Captain Turntable would play the song and at the end play sound effects like bombs dropping because he hated the song, and in the nightly countdown "Melbourne's Most Wanted", when Captain Turntable hosted it, Melbourne voted for "Bring It All Back" by S Club 7 to annoy him. My personal favourite was "Don't Stop Moving".

Last edited:
Paul Cattermore from S Club 7 (a British pop band from the 1990s) has died aged 46 just weeks after S Club 7 announced a comeback tour (Paul Cattermole: S Club 7 star dies aged 46). It has triggered memories for me in which whenever their debut single "Bring It All Back" was played on TTFM (now KIIS 101.1) here in Melbourne, then night host Captain Turntable would play the song and at the end play sound effects like bombs dropping because he hated the song, and in the nightly countdown "Melbourne's Most Wanted", when Captain Turntable hosted it, Melbourne voted for "Bring It All Back" by S Club 7 to annoy him. My personal favourite was "Don't Stop Moving".
Man, I remember when I first saw them when they preformed for the ITV's Panto of Aladdin back on Christmas in 2000 and they came on during the interlude and sung "Never Had a Dream Come True". Been a fan of them ever since and its sad to hear a member passed away so young.

Murray Melvin, an English actor and director passed away at the age of 90 yesterday.

Most outside of the country probably wouldn't know him, but some wider reaching recognizable works he appeared in was "The Phantom of the Opera" (2004), Princess Caraboo (1994) and the villain of the first season of "Torchwood".

Gerald Norman Springer, better known by his stage name of "Jerry Springer" has passed away at the age of 79.

A few months ago he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and that was what claimed his life according to a family spokesman.
We also lost Harry Belafonte just a few days ago as well.

Back
Top Bottom