• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is it just me, or the blonde females are exceptionally tall?

Reaction score
Cilan's height - for comparison
Pokemon_Best_Wishes_Episode_26_2_2mp4_000088809.jpg

Jessie is a grown woman, and if we consider she's at the average height of an average woman

Cilan's height = height of average grown woman

Bel's height
qMFbi.jpg

She's around the same height as Cilan.

BUT

If we think Bel is younger than Cilan, then she's pretty tall for her age since she's already at the height of a grown woman when she's barely 14 or so. Girls stop growing pretty early, but she could still grow taller

Alder's height - for comparison
BW054-1.png

The nurses at the Pokemon Center are also grown women, and even though Alder is leaning on the counter, he's still pretty tall

The nurse is at least a head smaller than him

Cynthia's height
tumblr_m8eoezndyV1rd05a7o1_500.jpg

However...

look at Cynthia's height compared to the nurse. Or course it could be because of the high heels, but even without them, I doubt she'd be even a head smaller.

Elesa is a fashion model - she's made to be tall so she's not on the list

but really... is it just me, or the blonde females are exceptionally tall?

We don't know Bianca's age - she could be Cilan's age or older, for all we know. Cynthia's tall, but she's just one example. And for all we know, she's from a Region where people are generally taller. (We still don't know her home Region - we just know it isn't Sinnoh or Unova.)

Not trying to say that they aren't usually tall, but I don't think Bianca's a good reference for this, since we don't know her age.

Not to mention that the characters in the BW games are older, so it makes sense that Bianca would be taller. The only person who really has a confirmed age is Ash, so there's no telling how old Bianca, Cilan, or the others are unless they get confirmed ages as well.

Also, I may not be blonde but I've always been the tallest in my class since 4th grade. I'm 5'8" and I stopped growing sometime in high school. Some people just have a tall gene. Maybe Bianca or Cynthia have that gene.

Bianca and Cynthia could be of Nordic heratige. also her age still is a factor. from having some freinds from Finland and Sweden, they are about 6'3" which is an inch shorter than me, they were taller than most people in the classes we had together. however more historical detailes need to be relesed (such as Age ect) about these character

Bianca and Cynthia could be of Nordic heratige. also her age still is a factor. from having some freinds from Finland and Sweden, they are about 6'3" which is an inch shorter than me, they were taller than most people in the classes we had together. however more historical detailes need to be relesed (such as Age ect) about these character

One problem: Those places don't exist in the Pokemon world.

Well according to Mew's Dex entry in Stadium and Lt. Surge in R/G/B/Y/LG/FR B2 and W2 America seems to exist in the pokemon world.

We were noticing this last night when my fiance and I threw on an episode with Cynthia on it; she was even a head taller than Brock; what even is.

Haven't noticed before but I guess that's a good point. Although there aren't many blondes in the anime to go on. Even Barry was tall and kinda lanky though :b

I could have sworn Bianca was shorter than Cilan... I think what's going on in that particular picture is she's a bit closer to the camera, which is throwing things off, but I could be wrong.

Also, blondes in anime tend to be associated with stereotypical foreigners, who also tend to be taller than the asian-by-default characters, so that might also play a part.

Well according to Mew's Dex entry in Stadium and Lt. Surge in R/G/B/Y/LG/FR B2 and W2 America seems to exist in the pokemon world.

This isn't the games.

And those have been retconned. Except Surge, because the damage has already been done.

This isn't the games.

And those have been retconned. Except Surge, because the damage has already been done.

You're forgetting all those real world references made in the anime as well.

Also, blondes in anime tend to be associated with stereotypical foreigners, who also tend to be taller than the asian-by-default characters, so that might also play a part.

It's because of this my fiance is convinced that Cynthia is supposed to be "American" for how bubbly she is along with how she looks.

Bianca is more tall than Ash because is clearly older than Ash. It's stated in the dialogue that Bianca start her journey at later age.
About Cynthia, is tall but this can't ge said of all blonde woman.

If you ask me that one with Bianca in it is all messed up in terms of the character's proportions. It's like they took Bianca and re-sized her to make her larger than everyone else. Not only is she sized incorrectly but Ash is looking like a stick figure there.

I know this is super late...but I disagree with the premise of the thread because I disagree that these characters are even "blonde" in the first place.

In Western animation, we've always used the color yellow to depict people with blonde hair. Nobody's hair is actually the bright yellows that we end up using, of course, but we use them anyway for simplicity's sake. Similarly, we use the color red to depict redheads even though nobody's hair is actually that color.

But who's to say that Japanese animation has to follow those same conventions? If they can have characters with blue hair and green hair and purple hair and pink hair, then why can't they have characters with yellow hair? Why does yellow have to mean blonde, 100% of the time? Because American animators say so?

I think Game Freak gave characters like Jun and Shirona yellow hair because they thought yellow was a nice color, end of story. I don't think they see these characters as "blondes" or are trying to say that Shirona is American or anything like that.

As for the topic at hand...the animators can't even keep the sizes of the Pocket Monsters for whom this show is named after consistent. What makes us think they pay any attention to the humans' height?

BW height Settei:
zRNDd.jpg

Looks like Cilan and Cynthia are the same height, so I wouldn't say she's exceptionally tall. You can see Alder in the back and it looks like he's slightly taller than those two, but the screencap you showed is probably more of a fixed angle. Not sure about Bianca though... Either that was an animation error, or she's taller than Cynthia(!)

I know this is super late...but I disagree with the premise of the thread because I disagree that these characters are even "blonde" in the first place.
Does it matter? I think the point is they have the same color hair, not that it necessarily corresponds to bleach blonde IRL. This is kind of a silly thread to begin with, though XD

Attachments

• unpaaou-img600x450-1355753700lxkd5n49362.jpg
    unpaaou-img600x450-1355753700lxkd5n49362.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 324
Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom