• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN088: Trial Mission! The Deep Sea Diver Research Team!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
While having continuity-nods is fine. Overdoing it, isn't.

They should add call-backs only when really needed.
XY had almost none and it didn't affect it at all.

Journeys has started to become so reliant on them that it's starting to lose its own essence.
Or the plan was for it to be Pokemon Nostalgia: The Series from the very start?

Journeys has started to become so reliant on them that it's starting to lose its own essence.
Wasn’t that the entire point though

XY may have been okay without much callbacks, but the opposite can work too. And the whole concept of Journeys is about dedicating time to all the previous regions and making lots of callbacks to them.

I know that the XY director actually said this, but you're really selling the writers short if you believe that.

I obviously meant that it wasn't an accident. The writers aren't incompetent; they chose not even to reference Charizard, let alone bring it back.
I agree. While XY not having many references in itself isn’t a good or a bad thing, it doesn't make sense for writers to simply not know or "on accident" forget that the show they're writing for (which is a part of the largest franchise in the world for the record) has 20 years worth of history attached to it.

It is most probably a creative/executive choice imo.

And the whole concept of Journeys is about dedicating time to all the previous regions and making lots of callbacks to them.
It is fine in moderation, but the type of integral stuff we have lost (barely an overarching story, not developed Pokemon etc.) don't really make a good advocate for the approach.

I'd gladly swap the Lt. Surge and Chuck stuff for development of the rest of the Ash's team if possible, for instance. Or the infernape return, even.

It’s not as if old characters appearing prevents the writers from giving Ash’s current team more screentime, it’s just something they’re purposely choosing not to do for whatever reason. They could easily have Ash’s Pokémon appear more in fillers or Go’s episodes but choose not to.

It really says something when the call-backs are what generate more hype than anything else.

And the staff are aware of it, using them on purpose.
Look at this thread, we went from talking about the Trial to what will Genji add to the plot.

They could add development but seemingly doesn't care about it.

Satoshi's current team is a resounding failure, be it at being real characters or achievements.

The entire saga is meant to celebrate all regions, and old characters returning is what people wanted since the first year had very few old characters returning. People wanted Morty in the Ecurteak episode or Flannery could have appeared at Lavaridge town but didn’t. We could have seen more old characters when certain towns were revisited but we saw very few.

So now that we are getting more old characters appearing this is pretty much exactly what people wanted since this series started. I mean that’s the entire pitch of this series so why is that a problem?

Would people rather see some bland filler character in this episode over Drake returning for example?

The thing a show should do first and foremost is establish a world new fans can come into, regardless if they liked the franchise in the past or not. Journeys just seems too much like it wants to bring back old fans, and doesn’t really have an identity that stands alone, apart from Koharu and Goh’s stories, which have been lacking consistency (which has alone increased frustration).

If anyone feels like the show does have an identity, then fair enough, glad you are enjoying it.

Drake had nothing to do with May or Max so I don’t think they would show them here. As I said above I expect at most a flashback of Grovyle vs Drake like they did with Bayleef vs Chuck. Also of note they didn’t include Misty/Brock in the Chuck flashback so I don’t see the Hoenn group included here.

Only way I can see May get a flashback this series is if Norman or Wallace appear in an episode, characters she has a connection with and not a random Elite 4 member.

Summary and VA list courtesy of Adamant

A mission reading "Get a wild Kingdra" arrives from Project Mew. After an encounter with Genji from the Houen region's Elite Four the group starts investigating the sea, where they find a certain unexpected Pokémon...?!

Summary:
Go has received a Trial Mission from Project Mew. This one reads "Get a wild Kingdra". After consulting eyewitness reports of wild Seadra, he heads to the Houen region with Satoshi. The two immediately start investigating the sea when they encounter Genji from the Houen region's Elite Four, who they decide to work with. Can Go clear this mission without any trouble arising?!

Voice Cast:
Rica Matsumoto: Satoshi
Daiki Yamashita: Go
Ikue Ohtani: Pikachu

"A mission reading "Get a wild Kingdra" arrives from Project Mew. After an encounter with Genji from the Houen region's Elite Four the group starts investigating the sea, where they find a certain unexpected Pokémon...?!"

Ah so this is why the VA list is incomplete again lol

Just kidding we all know it's Regirock

"A mission reading "Get a wild Kingdra" arrives from Project Mew. After an encounter with Genji from the Houen region's Elite Four the group starts investigating the sea, where they find a certain unexpected Pokémon...?!"

Ah so this is why the VA list is incomplete again lol

Just kidding we all know it's Regirock
My personal suspicion is that Tsurugi and Danika will encounter it on their own, although I'm ready to be proven wrong.

Last edited:
Why are they wasting the Drake fight on Goh? Ash hasn't had that many non-Bea GL/E4/Champion fights and we're nearly 90 episodes in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom