• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN116: Champions' Pride! Wataru VS Carne!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, the Kalos Elite Four and Diantha never got a difficulty spike when rematched in XY. Diantha's team could only really reach Level 80 through the Battle Cheateu's Black Writ of Challenge, but this rematch at her strongest is only against four Pokémon, and she's faced as a Grand Duchess instead of Champion (at least she keeps her amazing battle theme here).

Lance's team is around an average of Level 70 in his strongest rematch in HGSS, with Dragonite at Level 75. Leon's Charizard reaches Level 80 at maximum. Steven's Metagross is fought at Level 79 in ORAS. Iris' Haxorus can be fought at Level 83 in B2W2's Challenge Mode. And most notably, Cynthia's Garchomp can reach a whooping Level 88 in BDSP. Unlike with Diantha, these Champions had their levels were boosted for rematches, hence the unfavorable comparisons.

(I had to use Serebii to do the research due to Bulbapedia's server issues, so I do apologize if I missed something)
Yeah, but once again, the anime isn't the games. Portraying a character as being tougher in the anime than they are in the games is incredibly common: I mean, just look at Charizard, a Pokemon that in the games is okay at best without its Megas and in fact outclassed outright by several other starters, but the anime makes it out to be this incredibly amazing creature of borderline godly power that only a Legendary would be able to defeat. Or heck, just the fact that a lot of Pokemon are often significantly sturdier in the anime than they are in the games; Pikachu and Lucario for example would not have been able to tank a fraction of the stuff they've been shown to survive if things were kept game-accurate.

Look, I'm not saying that Diantha should 100% beat Lance, just that people shouldn't throw her under the rug and make her out to be this pathetic weakling trainer just because she wasn't as difficult a final boss compared to other Champions. And in any case, the main reason Diantha is so easy is just because the XY games are easy themselves, so it's not like it's her fault.

This feels like the only match without a clear cut winner
Leon is winning cause he’s ash’s goal
Ash is winning cause protagonist
Iris has a small chance but 9/10 the winner would be Cynthia
I suppose it makes sense for the rank 4 and 5 competitors to be equivalent

Hmmm...Leon vs Lance again would be redundant, so Diantha winning would make sense from that perspective, and Gardevoir has a type advantage against Bird Keeper Lance's dragon part of his team.
It would also be ironic considering Diantha's poor rep in the fandom.
You know, besides the redundancy that another Leon X Lance would be, I actually have a theory that the second part of the statement could be true.

I mean, to this day, Diantha is still pegged as the "weakest and worst Champion" of the entire canon. A lot of people don't like her. So, having her win against Lance, a fan favorite, could help stabilish her as an actual threat.

OR it could have the opposite effect and make people hate her even more, but oh well.

Lance vs. Diantha, definitely unexpected . She likely gets the win . It's Aurorus and Mega Gardevoir while Lance has Dragonite and Hydriegon, 4x weaknesses go brrrrr . With Ash vs. Steven, Lance vs. Diantha and Leon vs. Alain, a 10 yr old could write much more meaningful matchups . Just give us a good battle, I'll be satisfied .

I still see Lance winning for a few reasons:

1. A lot of more popular characters will be out in round 1, like Alan, Iris, and Steven. Diantha getting two battles while more popular characters are out in round 1 would seem odd especially for Lance too.

2. Lance's VA said he wanted a rematch with Leon. Remember their first battle was only a 1 on 1 in the beginning of the series, so this would be a longer rematch between the two

3. If Diantha wins it would just be her and Leon in the semi-finals, and Leon would just likely immediately crush her. So we would just be getting some quick match for the semi-finals where she would lose fast.

Finally since Ash isn't battling Lance this time around, it leaves Lance open for a future strong opponent for Ash in a future series.

3. If Diantha wins it would just be her and Leon in the semi-finals, and Leon would just likely immediately crush her. So we would just be getting some quick match for the semi-finals where she would lose fast.
I'm sure she could give him just as tough of a fight as Lance.

If Diantha wins it would just be her and Leon in the semi-finals, and Leon would just likely immediately crush her. So we would just be getting some quick match for the semi-finals where she would lose fast.
Again, you're saying that Diantha would just get crushed by Leon when you have no proof other than her not being a tough fight in the games (something that has already been pointed out isn't good evidence). The popularity thing is absolutely correct and imo it on its own is already strong enough proof. You don't need to constantly demean Diantha's skills to make your point.

I think Diantha’s gonna win as well, cause of the type advantage and redundancy of Lance vs Leon. She didn’t get to battle much in XY either.

Kinda feel bad for Lance tho, losing twice in a row like Iris

The anime has always treated type advantages as David vs Goliath - the underdog almost always wins. Also, one win for Diantha won't improve her rep in the fandom at all. In fact, her beating Lance and then losing to Leon would probably attract more criticism towards her.

Leon uses Dynamax and he is likely defeating a Mega Evolution winner. Would his next opponent be another ME user (Diantha) or a Dynamax user (Lance).

My personal pick would be Diantha, but I'll be happy if at the very least she gets a respectable fight.

If Diantha beats Lance than she'd be able to give Leon just as good a fight--or better--than him, because that's how the show works. Type advantages barely matter most of the time.

I sort of expect Leon to win his battles pretty handily here no matter who he's against, though, at least until the finals.

The anime has always treated type advantages as David vs Goliath - the underdog almost always wins. Also, one win for Diantha won't improve her rep in the fandom at all. In fact, her beating Lance and then losing to Leon would probably attract more criticism towards her.

Leon uses Dynamax and he is likely defeating a Mega Evolution winner. Would his next opponent be another ME user (Diantha) or a Dynamax user (Lance).

My personal pick would be Diantha, but I'll be happy if at the very least she gets a respectable fight.

I mean, using that Mega argument means Cynthia is gonna lose to Iris, since would Ash's next opponent be another ME user.

I think Iris wins too. I think it will still be a nice fight. Lance vs. Diantha: I think Lance wins this easily. With Alain -Leon it's clear, although I hope that Ash will still fight Alain.

I think Iris wins too. I think it will still be a nice fight. Lance vs. Diantha: I think Lance wins this easily. With Alain -Leon it's clear, although I hope that Ash will still fight Alain.
I don't think iris is winning. Considering they had ash battle a garchomp from Paul. Would be pointless if he never faces Cynthia

Same thing with lance and his gyrados

I mean, using that Mega argument means Cynthia is gonna lose to Iris, since would Ash's next opponent be another ME user.

Fair point.

I was excluding Ash from the gimick spec, because he has 3 gimicks and we don't know which one he uses against Cynthia, who is most likely winning against Iris.

The anime has always treated type advantages as David vs Goliath - the underdog almost always wins.

Unfortunately, it's been done so damn many times it's become predictable and annoying.

Also, when an underdog keeps getting win after win, they stop being an underdog and become a Mary-sue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom