• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN129: The Finals I: "Torrent"

None of the gimmicks can.
Someone did not watch Ash vs Kukui.

You keep changing the goalposts. I'd just advise you don’t paint the people saying 1 vs 3 is unfair in bad faith even if I personally don’t believe that’s the case. I do not wish to answer in a bunch of rotating goalposts hence I will not continue this discussion.

It's unequal because Ash's adventures and training have equipped him for more gimmicks than Leon is using, not because the new rule favors him. Ash should benefit from being more versatile and having more options available to him; that's not unfairness, that's him benefitting from options that he earned himself.

Leon could have brought Pokemon that could Mega Evolution and Z-Move if he had access and chose to do so, benefitting from the rule change as well, but he didn't, so he should be at a disadvantage on this front. If the change had been a surprise to Leon, that would have been one thing (since he wouldn't have expected to have a stronger reason to build his team around having more than one gimmick), but he himself suggested the rule change

Given that the concept of the tournament is to find the strongest trainer in the world, full stop, Ash (or anyone else in the tournament) should not have been punished for being more versatile than his opponents by being brought down to their level of versatility by an outside rule.
Leon could just use Gigantamax x 3, since he has taken the effort to train multiple Pokémon for that.

The original rule was "The contestant is allowed to use (D-Max, Mega or Z-Move) once."
The rule could just be changed to "The contestant is allowed to use (Dynamax, Mega, Z-Move) thrice, so they both get to show off their differing experience. In universe I do NOT agree the rule change makes no sense or shouldn’t happen, but my point is I can empathise with anyone who thinks it’s unfair and the writers brought it upon themselves.

Someone did not watch Ash vs Kukui.

You keep changing the goalposts. I'd just advise you don’t paint the people saying 1 vs 3 is unfair in bad faith even if I personally don’t believe that’s the case. I do not wish to answer in a bunch of rotating goalposts hence I will not continue this discussion.
Oh I saw it, and that was a special exception cause an Island Deity granted them the power to use it a second time. So again, none of the gimmicks can.

Its annoying Inteleon didn't get away with a win... but at least it had a good showing... which should have been obvious based on the title... but i had hoped it dragged on some more... with Inteleon going into Torrent state in order to keep G-Max Gengar at bay... but we saw none of that... which actually makes me think Inteleon has Sniper... since it seems like the Snipe Shot was what caused G-Max Gengar to become regular Gengar before the timer ran out.

I don't recall that ever happening. Got any source on it?
1tly7budk7s91.jpg

It wasn't advertised like that admittedly but the episode summary made it seem like all of Ash's past companions and rivals would come and watch. It could be a mistranslation though so who knows?

View attachment 164620

It wasn't advertised like that admittedly but the episode summary made it seem like all of Ash's past companions and rivals would come and watch. It could be a mistranslation though so who knows?
Not to be nitpicky, but it only says they're watching, not necessarily there at Wyndon.

...Doesn't strike me as a mistranslation, IMO the mistake here was the huge leap you made from "as his former comrades and rivals watch" to "all of Ash's past companions will come to the stadium to watch".

This was great! The animation was fluid and amazing and felt like a very needed step up from how the series has been thus far, and I liked how Leon's new Pokemon were presented. Instead of the "tell, don't show" of the previous appearances they actually feel strategical and fixated on their special tactics. Ash was very smart too, using Gigantamax to trap and then wall Inteleon was very clever (through Gengar vs Dragapult would've been interesting to see, it could have trapped the Dreepy or something). By the way, Dynamax being gone means Mega Lucario vs Charizard will be the climax, as Ash using Dynamax twice would be too much.

I'm glad the battle started with full force, and Mr. Rime having the field on its favor left me wanted more, it feels like things will only scalate from here.

Last edited:
Its annoying Inteleon didn't get away with a win... but at least it had a good showing... which should have been obvious based on the title... but i had hoped it dragged on some more... with Inteleon going into Torrent state in order to keep G-Max Gengar at bay... but we saw none of that... which actually makes me think Inteleon has Sniper... since it seems like the Snipe Shot was what caused G-Max Gengar to become regular Gengar before the timer ran out.
Leon's Inteleon does have Sniper in the games so that's accurate at least

The new rule says that you can use all gimmicks. It doesnt say that only ash can use 3 gimmicks. It was Leon that sugested that, so, if he doesnt have all gimmicks, its his fault. Just imagine if Leon only had 3 pokemon and challenged Ash to a 6x6 battle. Not train/catch at least 6 pokemon would be Leon´s fault. It might be seen seen as unfair battle, but a trainer should be able to train/catch at least 6 pokemon.

Iris didnt have any gimmicks. She also only had 5 known pokemon, and was never confirmed to have 6. If she entered the world championship with only 5 pokemon and no gimmick, she was not prepared for the championship, and if she lost, it was her fault. To prepare yourself for a championship is part of being a good trainer.

Ash´s advantage will also make ash´s victory against Leon more believable . He was able to defeat the other masters using only 2/3 pokemon. If ash beat leon without any advantage, allan and diantha would be seen as too weak.

Just imagine if Leon only had 3 pokemon and challenged Ash to a 6x6 battle. Not train/catch at least 6 pokemon would be Leon´s fault. It might be seen seen as unfair battle, but a trainer should be able to train/catch at least 6 pokemon.

Iris didnt have any gimmicks. She also only had 5 known pokemon, and was never confirmed to have 6. If she entered the world championship with only 5 pokemon and no gimmick, she was not prepared for the championship, and if she lost, it was her fault. To prepare yourself for a championship is part of being a good trainer.
I find it really funny you mention this as this has literally happened in the anime before and they ALWAYS adjust to the competitor with the least amount of Pokémon.

Everyone justifying this isn’t taking into account that Leon has trained at least two of his Pokémon to benefit from G-Max so he HAS an advantage to gain if he’s allowed multiple uses.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom