• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN135: Pokémon! I'm Glad I Got to Meet You!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm starting to think the thing Goh is struggling to say is his expression of gratitude. Basically what the episode is titled. He's grateful for having met Ash and the way said meeting changed him.
Oh, he's grateful for Ash alright.

Wow........way to be a downer. You do realize they could have if they really tried, right? It's not an impossible thing to ask of the writers, is it?
Seriously. I mean, Japan has pulled off bigger things. Just look Super Sentai where they brought back all the past teams for the 35th anniversary. It’s not exactly crazy for them to bring in previous VAs for a party.

Top 16, actually.

I had a feeling I screwed that one up. Top 8 did sound a little too good for that early on, I just got too lazy to confirm it lol.

That just enforces the point more. The fact that the people of Pallet Town wanted to celebrate a top 16 participant, but not a 1st placement in a World Championships, speaks volumes about the heart of the show right now. The people of Pallet Town were simply happy that Ash gave it his best shot back then, imagine how ecstatic they would be now that they are the hometown of a World Champion. Even little things, like Misty greeting Ash home right after his Hoenn league run, really make it feel like the characters greatly appreciate Ash’s progress. In comparison, a still image of Misty looking worried about Pikachu fainting to Leon’s Charizard, with no followup, does not feel the same at all. It feels like they just wanted to let the viewers know that Misty was watching the Leon fight, over something like Misty showing how happy she is to see Ash again and to congratulate him in person.

Really great points, and perfectly sums up why I'm feeling so let down by the end of this series. Even if old companions didn't show up to some kind of party, it still feels so weird to just let the accomplishment come and go like it's nothing. As great as the actual battle with Leon was, the atmosphere surrounding it really fell flat. I mean, Ash's own mom didn't even show up to watch him in the stadium. He literally had more in person support during the Alola League.

Maybe the people of Pallet Town are too busy planning a party for Gary surviving Project Mew :unsure:

The preview with subs has Goh mention he wants to go off on a journey while being asked if he told Ash. Please. Please tell me he's going solo and JN136 will be them going their separate ways.
From the sounds of the state of him wanting to go off on a journey while being asked if he told Ash, it sounds like he wants to branch off on his own as to be able to grow more independent, a typical end of series plot point. It does make it sound like he’s leaving the cast.

From the sounds of the state of him wanting to go off on a journey while being asked if he told Ash, it sounds like he wants to branch off on his own as to be able to grow more independent, a typical end of series plot point. It does make it sound like he’s leaving the cast.
Let's hope that he actually is gonna go off on his own so he can become more independent.

Let's hope that he actually is gonna go off on his own so he can become more independent.
This goes completely against Goh's character arc. He started the show as a loner and the biggest lesson he had to learn was to rely on others. He does not need to learn independence.

I know people want Goh gone, but him going off on his own is literally the opposite direction of where all the progress he's made has lead him. I could take something like that if it was some sort of clever deconstruction of the idea of character development itself that somehow ends in tragedy, but we all know this is not that type of show.

This goes completely against Goh's character arc. He started the show as a loner and the biggest lesson he had to learn was to rely on others. He does not need to learn independence.

I know people want Goh gone, but him going off on his own is literally the opposite direction of where all the progress he's made has lead him. I could take something like that if it was some sort of clever deconstruction of the idea of character development itself that somehow ends in tragedy, but we all know this is not that type of show.
Not really. There’s a difference between being a loner and being independent. Go’s character arc had been that he wasn’t good with working with others due to having been a loner for so long. However, he also had to learn to be more independent as was shown with how in later Project Mew missions he had to go at it without Ash being there to act as a support. Going off on his own journey doesn’t mean being a loner, it means gaiing the independence to grow more. I know people have a hair trigger when it comes to a perceived need to defend Go, but the entire theme that Ash and his friends’ roads diverge for them to follow their own paths to grow has been a theme in the anime ever since the OG trio split. Let’s not mix things up.

Last edited:
I also have my doubts that the writers will tackle an intimate episode like this one well, specially as the Ash-Chloe relationship is non-existent and Goh-Chloe was only touched very superficially.

And of course this had to take place in Kanto, it's not like Galar had a camping feature...At least it opens the door for Kangaskhan to finally reappear but, you know, Journeys.

What’s with Ash in the first pic? This is why I hate the JN art style
It is a still frame, he's surprised because Pikachu and Grookey were suddenly lifted into the air by a Dugtrio that appeared below their feet (to their even greater surprise).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom