• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN136: Satoshi and Go! Embark on a New Journey!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really sure why Satoshi x Serena shipping has to come up so often when it has literally zero to do with any of this. People are obviously allowed to think whatever they want and I don't want to come off disrespectful to anyone here, but it does get pretty irritating seeing more and more threads being derailed with absurd "Satoshi and Serena are going to get married and their kids are going to be the stars of the next show!!!" claims. Like if that's your thing cool, but I really don't see how it's relevant, it's certainly not realistic for this show in any way.

Anyways, to try and put things back on-topic here...I've read arguments on both sides of how to interpret this episode's title based on everything. And to be honest I could see either possibility-- Gou leaving on his own journey or continuing with Satoshi-- as a possibility at this point. I'm not going to pretend like I understand Japanese or its nuances, but I do know that sometimes meaning can be fudged when translated to English, no matter how carefully it was translated. If I had to make a guess I'd lean towards Gou staying, especially if this current series continues, but I also completely see why people think he will leave.

It's also interesting we are getting at least two more episodes after this. Some on Twitter have speculated they could be "special" episodes like with BW or XY, but like I said my money is more on this being a new chapter of Pocket Monsters '19 like the Johto saga was. Though honestly my guesses have been changing so much lately because we really truly have no idea what is in store next. Anything really can happen!

I do find it odd that random official comments have been dropped that vaguely hint at what's next, but we still have gotten no official word. Like, for new sagas like Best Wishes Season 2 and the XYZ arc there was plenty of promotion well before those episodes started. Even if this current series remains but a new chapter is started, I would still find it odd if it started in a few weeks and we still haven't gotten promos for it by now.

Whatever happens with tomorrow's episode, I really hope we get some legitimate look at what's to come, whatever that may be.

Not really sure why Satoshi x Serena shipping has to come up so often when it has literally zero to do with any of this. People are obviously allowed to think whatever they want and I don't want to come off disrespectful to anyone here, but it does get pretty irritating seeing more and more threads being derailed with absurd "Satoshi and Serena are going to get married and their kids are going to be the stars of the next show!!!" claims. Like if that's your thing cool, but I really don't see how it's relevant, it's certainly not realistic for this show in any way.

Anyways, to try and put things back on-topic here...I've read arguments on both sides of how to interpret this episode's title based on everything. And to be honest I could see either possibility-- Gou leaving on his own journey or continuing with Satoshi-- as a possibility at this point. I'm not going to pretend like I understand Japanese or its nuances, but I do know that sometimes meaning can be fudged when translated to English, no matter how carefully it was translated. If I had to make a guess I'd lean towards Gou staying, especially if this current series continues, but I also completely see why people think he will leave.

It's also interesting we are getting at least two more episodes after this. Some on Twitter have speculated they could be "special" episodes like with BW or XY, but like I said my money is more on this being a new chapter of Pocket Monsters '19 like the Johto saga was. Though honestly my guesses have been changing so much lately because we really truly have no idea what is in store next. Anything really can happen!

I do find it odd that random official comments have been dropped that vaguely hint at what's next, but we still have gotten no official word. Like, for new sagas like Best Wishes Season 2 and the XYZ arc there was plenty of promotion well before those episodes started. Even if this current series remains but a new chapter is started, I would still find it odd if it started in a few weeks and we still haven't gotten promos for it by now.

Whatever happens with tomorrow's episode, I really hope we get some legitimate look at what's to come, whatever that may be.
My favorite take on this so far is the idea that Goh tells Ash he wants to go on a journey and instead of getting the blanket "good luck and good bye" response, Ash decides on his own volition to tag along. It'd probably be, in my personal opinion, the most character development we've seen for Ash in this entire series (as in JN) and I'm all for it.

Nooooo! Go is staying. I hope Chloe won't stay as well because she is my least favorite character. Just take today's episode for example. She didn't do anything while the male characters were active and chased after Lugia.

Also Gen 9 has already begun why did this episode need to get split up into two parts? They spent too much time showing off random Kanto Pokémon instead of focusing on what was relevant. Makes me worried for the future of this anime.

Nooooo! Go is staying. I hope Chloe won't stay as well because she is my least favorite character. Just take today's episode for example. She didn't do anything while the male characters were active and chased after Lugia.

Also Gen 9 has already begun why did this episode need to get split up into two parts? They spent too much time showing off random Kanto Pokémon instead of focusing on what was relevant. Makes me worried for the future of this anime.
Worried or not. It their decision and we can give our opinion on it. Nevertheless, this will be fun and boring.

Nothing is 100% certain yet. We could see Journeys continue through the next three years, or we could get a proper Scarlet and Violet series. Goh might leave, or we might see him as the protagonist in a watered-down Path of Legends storyline in his quest to catch Mew. The only thing that is truly certain is that the events of SV won't be faithfully adapted because the plot isn't that suitable for the 3–7-year-old demographic.

And don't forget the production issues and the ongoing pandemic. They could play a factor into why Journeys might continue through Generation IX.

Team Rocket seems very happy, I wonder what Giovanni is up for them. Anyway, it seems a bit a bit of a waste that despite having their base in Kanto we got to see interactions between the Trio and the Boss only at the very beginning and the very end of this series (or arc, if we're actually getting a multi-generational story like the original series).

Last edited:
Summary courtesy of Dephender at Serebii

Satoshi and Go's relationship is starting to get strained as the two realize they're not quite on the same page. But just then, the legendary Pokémon Lugia appears before them, just like on the day they first met! Now that they've met it again after growing so much on their adventures together, the two of them challenge it! Lugia! It's time for a raid battle!!

It seems this episode will be the last one in Journeys, with Goh apparently joining Ash for the next region à la Brock.

IMG_2648.jpg

It seems this episode will be the last one in Journeys, with Goh apparently joining Ash for the next region à la Brock.
Mhh, if it this really happens, we'll see if the series is going to be still called simply Pocket Monsters, or they'll add a subtitle. Meanwhile, if the main location is going to be Paldea, I can see the dub "creating" a separate series like they retroactively did with The Beginning and Gold & Silver.

Unless it’s outright been stated, I’d say to wait and see if it is the case for Go considering how they’re bringing things full circle. They’re both leaving the Sakuragi lab but that doesn’t mean they’re going the same direction.

Unless it’s outright been stated, I’d say to wait and see if it is the case for Go considering how they’re bringing things full circle. They’re both leaving the Sakuragi lab but that doesn’t mean they’re going the same direction.
It certainly seems like the ending of this series. Its literally coming full circle. Ash and Goh met on Lugia and now we're capping it off with them fighting Lugia together, which I have a bad feeling about. Them leaving that room certainly feels like they're saying goodbye to Cerise's lab. I swear they better be going in separate directions though. The fact that they're being so vague about it is extremely irritating. I was hoping today's episode would have said yes they're going on separate journeys, but they're still not saying what's going on, while leaving us with TBA titles and no outright confirmation of what's coming next. Its extremely frustrating.

What I'm getting out of this is Goh couldn't decide to go on a journey by himself without telling Ash, but he was upset because Ash just decided he was going on a journey with Pikachu without telling Goh he wanted to go on his own first. The whole point of the episode to me was that even if their journey takes them on their separate ways, their friendship will last. Life sometimes takes people in different directions, but some bonds will never be broken. It would completely take all that away if they just have Goh continue on with Ash anyway.

Last edited:
I find this whole situation really ironic considering that whole monologue Goh gave when he and Ash first visited Alola that he doesn't need Ash to help him succeed and vice versa. And this isn't me hating on Goh; this is me criticizing the way he's been written. It truly is like the writers couldn't figure out what do with him in terms of personality. It starts off that he's a loner, doesn't really have friends. Becomes friends with Ash (relatively easily, all things considered) but still maintains that independent streak, to the point where he literally skipped out on the end of the Masters Eight to deal with Project Mew (still holding up his whole weird speech from Alola.) Now all of a sudden, Ash shows some of that independence himself, and Goh gets mad because "it's a betrayal of their friendship" even though he was about to do the same thing but couldn't bring himself to do it?

I don't know. I guess it's their way of showing "look, Goh has grown, he values friendship now!" but it's such an extreme change without really any meaningful build up to it. Like, this is probably meant to be a very emotional situation, but I'm not feeling it. I literally sobbed at the end of SM, without all of the weird angsty tension they're presenting here that just made me roll my eyes when I first saw it this morning. I really am hoping it's Goh's time to leave, not because I dislike him, but because the writers wrote themselves into a serious corner with him and I can't imagine it gets any better being dragged out for longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom