• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN136: Satoshi and Go! Embark on a New Journey!!

This goodbye episode was OK. I think they should have skipped it though and made a full episode about Go meeting Misty or Ash reuniting with Butterfree. It almost feels like they just threw that in there for the sake of Kanto nostalgia but they were too lazy to make an actual episode about said Kanto nostalgia.

Shouldn't meeting Butterfree again be a big deal? Also wasn't the whole point of Good bye Butterfree that Butterfree needed to leave so it could breed with the pink Butterfree? Where are Butterfree's kids?

This goodbye episode was OK. I think they should have skipped it though and made a full episode about Go meeting Misty or Ash reuniting with Butterfree. It almost feels like they just threw that in there for the sake of Kanto nostalgia but they were too lazy to make an actual episode about said Kanto nostalgia.

Shouldn't meeting Butterfree again be a big deal? Also wasn't the whole point of Good bye Butterfree that Butterfree needed to leave so it could breed with the pink Butterfree? Where are Butterfree's kids?
College.

Damn, Butterfree's fuck...like...a lot lol.
Ash's Butterfree went from a caterpillar to sexually mature in 20 episodes. If we give its children like 20 more episodes for each generation for like being an egg and stuff, that's like 30 generations of butterfrees.

Now that I think about it, this episode really feels like they wrote it before they knew what comes next. Like, they wouldn't have Ash go on a new Journey and they especially wouldn't have Team Rocket get such a firm go-to to keep chasing him if they knew this was the end of the road for him, but they left it vague enough and didn't set up Paldea in case this really was the end. Like, they made this episode while still leaving the door open for a Paldea series with Ash, and yeah that door is closed now, but it wasn't clear during this episode's production.

Ash's Butterfree went from a caterpillar to sexually mature in 20 episodes. If we give its children like 20 more episodes for each generation for like being an egg and stuff, that's like 30 generations of butterfrees.
What if all the metapod that evolved a few episodes ago were its kids?

What if every caterpie in Kanto are its offspring and descendants after 25 years of breeding

What if all the metapod that evolved a few episodes ago were its kids?

What if every caterpie in Kanto are its offspring and descendants after 25 years of breeding
If that were the case then Pink Butterfrees would be a lot more common.
Actually, maybe the gene that gives the Pink Butterfree her color also makes her infertile, like white tigers. If that's the case then Ash's Butterfree probably never successfully reproduced.

I didn't realize it until now because no subs but I just read on Bulbapedia that Koharu became a research fellow, and I really don't like this. Seems to go against her character, where people assumed that she's gonna be a Pokemon researcher just because her father is one, and she wants to find her own path. This is a really bad conclusion to her character.

I didn't realize it until now because no subs but I just read on Bulbapedia that Koharu became a research fellow, and I really don't like this. Seems to go against her character, where people assumed that she's gonna be a Pokemon researcher just because her father is one, and she wants to find her own path. This is a really bad conclusion to her character.
Perhaps she is doing it for something to do more than anything?

Lugia apparently ships SatoGo or at least that's my explanation for the sudden appearance right when they needed to make up. Ho-oh is just happy that Satoshi's happy

The writers decided Koharu is allowed to do something once the series is over. It turns out she's changed her mind regarding Pokémon research. I suppose sometimes one finds out that the expected path isn't that bad after all. If only she had figured it out soon enough to get decent screen time.

As being a Pokémon Master is an undefined goal Satoshi will keep working on it even after his series is over. Somehow I doubt this is the last we'll see of him but at the very least he isn't the protagonist from this point forward.

Butterfree was not forgotten.

It truly is the end of an era. One that seemed like it would last forever. I wonder which of the new protagonists will catch a Pikachu that refuses to evolve.

Now that I've watched the version with subs on, this was a decent episode, but it's one of the weaker series finales.
I like how the series again, comes full circle with Ash and Goh raiding battling riding on Lugia. All the credit cameos were fun as well. Additionally, I like how Ash and Goh depart at the same location he did with Misty and Brock. I thought that was a really nice and subtle touch of nostalgia. the final party scene was also rather heartwarming. I also liked the Goh Pokeball fake-out, as if the writers knew he couldn't and thus shouldn't catch Lugia, so they tried a fake-out that rather oganically sets up the Lugia joyride.
What I don't like is a couple of things. First, the episode felt boring when it wasn't shoving down battles or nostalgia bait. Chloe's ending also was handled very badly (her deciding to become a researcher in place of Goh and Ash mostly contradicts her original idea of wanting to be something that isn't a researcher like everyone assumes she will be, like her father, and finding her own path in life). This finale also felt very disjointed with what we know is coming up, and I have a theory that it was written without knowledge of the new series coming up.
Eh, for a rollercoaster of a series, this wasn't too bad of a finale, but the motivations and writing, just like in Journeys, could have been better.
7/10.

Decent enough, but one of the weakest series finales IMO. The farewell plot was executed in a very generic way (especially the Team Rocket scenes), and we ended up seeing a very weak closure for this series' secondary characters, especially Koharu.

I wish Team Rocket had just come out and said Pikachu was the Pokémon they want to get, and Giovanni accept it (reluctantly or not). That would've been a simple, yet nice change of pace.

Ash not deciding where to go this time and keep traveling by inertia was a nice concept, but it leading to a chance encounter with Butterfree felt kinda forced for fanservice points. Still happy to see them reunite, but maybe that would've worked better as a standalone episode.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom