• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Kanto Starters

Which Kanto starter will you choose from Sycamore?

• Total voters
I've made my permanent decisions. Kalos starter: Froakie Kanto starter: Bulbasaur

I'm also going to get the Torchic event. I'm fully covered!

Considering how Blastoise can only learn Water Pulse, the Ability seems useless.

Exactly. I don't even understand how a giant ass cannon can only power up pulse moves and not other moves you'd fire from a cannon, though considering that the trailer just showed Blastoise using Hydro Cannon from its mouth (hey, at least they fixed its toes) maybe that's why >_>

Like, Blastoise is given this badass new design and this crappy ability. As much as I laugh that Charizard still isn't a dragon, it at least got a useful ability.

Kalos starter: Fennekin. Kanto starter: Squirtle.

If I hate Fennekin's evos (which I don't think I will) I will go with a Froakie/Bulbasaur combo.

Considering how Blastoise can only learn Water Pulse, the Ability seems useless.

Exactly. I don't even understand how a giant ass cannon can only power up pulse moves and not other moves you'd fire from a cannon, though considering that the trailer just showed Blastoise using Hydro Cannon from its mouth (hey, at least they fixed its toes) maybe that's why >_>

Like, Blastoise is given this badass new design and this crappy ability. As much as I laugh that Charizard still isn't a dragon, it at least got a useful ability.

Why are you jumping to conclusions that its ability is bad? We don't know if Water Pulse is its only pulse move, and there could be new pulse moves that it learns. Unless you think power-up abilities in general are bad. I doubt Game Freak is stupid enough to give a Mega Pokemon a crappy ability. However, if what you say is true, then I stand corrected.

Well, Blastoise is the one Kanto Starter that, as far as I know, doesn't have as big of a glaring weakness as the other two...Venusaur's typing gives it lots of weaknesses, and Charizard, well, is weak to one of the most common moves out there. So maybe that's why it got the short end of the stick.

Why are you jumping to conclusions that its ability is bad? We don't know if Water Pulse is its only pulse move, and there could be new pulse moves that it learns. I doubt Game Freak is stupid enough to give a Mega Pokemon a crappy ability. However, if what you say is true, then I stand corrected.

Yeah, there's a chance it can learn Dark Pulse considering they singled that out on the website. However, Water Pulse still sucks (though they may give it a boost in power). It would be much better served if it was all projectile and beam moves. Either way, Blastoise doesn't even use that many projectile/beam/pulse moves in its set anyway. It's defined by its utility. It may be a more potent sweeper when we get its stat up but right now it doesn't match what it does.

if i can get the stone for charizard another way, I'd get bulbasaur if not, here comes shiny mega charizard and charmander in box

Hmm... it depends on what Pokémon are available from the start bar the X/Y starters; though I can see myself using Froakie+Charmender along with Chespin+Squirtle.

I really like MSaur; getting Thick Fat to reduce damage from two of its most common weaknesses, as well as the boosts to both defenses, means it's going to be even more of a bulk-monster than before. It just sucks that the Mega Stone will lock it out of Black Sludge, unless GF changed the game and you can have two Held Items now.

I'm going to get both X and Y, so I'll pick Charmander in one version and Bulbasaur in another. I'm not sure which since it will depend on what Kalos starters I pick. At the moment, I'm leading towards Fennekin in X and Chespin in Y. I'm not sure if this would affect my decision since as cool and tempting it is to have two starters on my team, I really want to have new Pokemon. Mega Venasaur and Mega Charizard are my favorite of the three new Mega forums, so I'll go with them as my Kanto starters, despite how I might just box them later.

I am so unbelievably torn now. I was pretty dead set on choosing Froakie, but Squirtle was my original starter, so nostalgia is calling me. However, will we be only be able to receive the Mega Stone for the starter we receive? All these questions...

Mega Charizard and Mega Venusaur have amazing abilities. Shame Blastoise has seemingly been shafted in that respect.

Well. I'll have a starter for six different playthroughs now instead of choosing two in a single one. Sweet!

I was originally thinking Blastoise since it's the only Kanto starter I haven't used yet, but the more I look as Venusaur, the more tempting it gets... Except for the head-flower. That still looks silly.

I am so unbelievably torn now. I was pretty dead set on choosing Froakie, but Squirtle was my original starter, so nostalgia is calling me. However, will we be only be able to receive the Mega Stone for the starter we receive? All these questions...

Mega Charizard and Mega Venusaur have amazing abilities. Shame Blastoise has seemingly been shafted in that respect.

Same here, because I'm picking Froakie and Squirtle is my favorite Pokémon and I haven't used him as a starter since Blue and last time I trained one was in Platinum.

As for his ability I'm sure he'll be amazing still. We don't know the extent of his Mega Launcher ability, but I'm sure all cannon/pulse style moves will get powered up. Imagine a boosted HYDRO CANNON!! As for not getting an ability that eliminates a weakness, as a Water type he only has two anyway so...

Even though i prefer Blastoise over Charizard design wise, i'm going with Charmander because Mega Charizard is just plain sexy i mean it's so sexy looking that it could rival Sceptile as the starter Pokemon with the most sex appeal is epic looking :look:

I don't have a Blastoise, and none of the XY water Pokemon have seemed that good to me. So I'll probably use it.

I want to see what the Kalos starter evolutions are like before I pick a Kanto starter. That way I can balance my team correctly.

Oh gods, Game Freak. Why? WHY?

I was torn between Froakie and Chespin...leaning toward the former and then BAM! Kanto starters.

I never even finished SoulSilver because I literally could NOT choose a Kanto Starter near the end. Could. Not. Do. It. And now their awesome Mega forms haunt my every attempt at making a decision. I am so indecisive. And now they put it at the beginning so I am forced to choose or not play the game I have been obsessing over for months.

Love them of the starters. Squirtle was my favorite of the starters - my favorite of Generation I overall. Yet that Venusaur Mega is BEAST. I love Charizard too, but I feel like I can trade him in later and not feel that much pressure about it. The starter I choose here must be loved and cuddled and Amied until their little hearts explode at the sight of my 3D sprite.

I think, depending upon the Kalos starter evolutions, I will choose Squirtle for X and Bulbasaur for Y. Charmander will be saved for the sequel/remake. That means I'll have two fire type starters that game...but oh well. XD

Now if only I could choose between a frog and a chestnut.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom