• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Latest title from Pokeani? Need translation.

^ I honestly don't see how May WASN'T introduced to help bring in more female fans.

As I said, this show is aimed at kids. Young boys have Ash to look up to as a role model and their hero. Girls have May, the first female character in Pokemon with a major role, to look up to and cheer about.

May is friggin 10 YEARS OLD for a reason. May was created for the 8-15 year old pre-teen and teen girls to idolize and look up to.

What I see here is a bunch of 18+ female Pokemon fans who think May is too perfect that they can't identify with her.

Why DO shows bring in female characters? They want to attract the female audience! And a girl with a MAJOR role, something they never did with Misty as she was never given a focus, and they couldn't do with Jessie since she's a villain and not a hero, they finally gave the female fanbase the Pokemon-esque girl they needed.

Pie, you claim May isn't realistic? Well how is Ash realistic either? Ash constantly throws himself into danger at every turn, constantly gets himself into trouble, and is so thick headed that he still isn't fully aware of the idea of love. (Although he's making progress, as Ash knew enough to deny that he was a couple in "The Bicker the Better", and the other love related issues).

Ash and May represent the male and female Pokemon fanbase respectively. Neither one of these two heroes are realistic. But you know what? They do their job well. They're positive role models who never give up, never get depressed for a long duration of time, and who are constantly upbeat and ready to struggle against impossible odds.

I seriously doubt May was added just to attract the female fanbase to Pokémon. She's more of a fanservice for the boys with those unnatural big boobs for a 10 year old and her so called perfect personality. A Mary Sue in all her glory.

Saying that May was created just to give the guys a girl to drool after is really degrading. If you can't see that May was created for the female Pokemon fanbase, the fanbase the writers never really focused on, then I'm sorry but I can't help you.

Last edited:
That is you view, my view is that she was created to advertise the GBA games and at the same time be a fanservice to the older male fans of the series. Also, Pokémon is a shonen anime and its never going to be turned into shoujo, unless they make some spin off series a la Pokémon Magical Journey.

As far as I'm concerned, none of us are going to change our minds real soon so no point in discussing it further.

So where do you think May will actually go, and what will she do?

This theory is mainly made up of ideas from Serebii:
At the end of the Pokémon Ranger episode, May is blasted back in time. In the next episode, wondering what to do, the others try to seek out the shrine to Celebi in the nearby forest, but are attacked by ninjas. After escaping with Bonsly, they get to the shrine. Then in this episode, May meets Ash as he was just starting out his journey, and saves him from the Spearow. However, this means that he doesn't steal Misty's bike, so now she must set time going as it should be again!

Or maybe this is just a contest episode...

Last edited:
Aaaaa guys, don't ya think this is going way too much off topic...i mean it all started from a Misty-May opinion and now it is like a little quarrel between Pie and Scott85...*gets a bit sorry to interrupt ,especially Kasumi-san and FabuVinny(no offense)

So what if it went off-topic? I mean, we back are on the original topic now, aren't we?

Scott85 said:
May is friggin 10 YEARS OLD for a reason. May was created for the 8-15 year old pre-teen and teen girls to idolize and look up to.

What I see here is a bunch of 18+ female Pokemon fans who think May is too perfect that they can't identify with her.

Uh, no, dude. See, I'm 16 here, nearly 17. I've been watching the show since I was 8. I think I fall into the first catagory a little better than the second. And no, May is not the sort of character I'd idolize. And yes, I'm not talking about now - I know the way my mind worked well enough to say that I probably would've liked her even less then than I do now.

Or do I not count, for some reason?

May was not created for them to idolize and look up to. May's role may have been created for them to idolize and look up to - which, as I've said many times, could've easily been filled with another character. What about May herself? What's so inspiring about her? Maybe it's just me, but I'm not exactly seeing a fantastic role model. And if she's not a great role model nor easy to relate to, then how is she, as a character, supposed to represent the female fanbase all that well?

Now, here's the thing: I actually do not hate May.

Is she my favorite female character? Far from it, Jessie takes that prize. But do I think she's the worst character in the series? Not at all.

My issue is not with who she is. Nor is my issue with the May overload itself.

My issue is the side-effect of this little overload, a near-disappearance of all the other characters but Ash.

Take a look at Battle Frontier since it started. Two new Pokémon were hinted at, one of which has been accounted for. The other is still on its way. In the meantime, though, Ash has acquired no new Pokémon, unless you count picking up his old Phanpy from Oak's, and hasn't done much of anything besides his Battle Frontier symbols and Oh Hey Cool Pikachu Learned Volt Tackle and some other attacks from Pokémon we won't see until the next cameo. May? Has gotten a Squirtle and an egg that seems to be of an Eevee, has had Munchlax learn Focus Punch and Squirtle learn (or already know) Ice Beam, has her rivals appeared three times in total, and is now traveling through time. Maybe the movie about time travel has dampened how big you think that is, but I still think that is a pretty big deal and a priveledge that just highlights how much we're seeing of her these days. And meanwhile, Brock had one evolution, which isn't much of a big deal in my mind since he's still at his lowest level for Pokémon for any notable period of time and has recently dropped his Ludicolo and the others had their Hoenn starter Pokémon evolve at least eighty episodes ago.

And that's just looking at the plot developments. Brock's only had appearances worth noting in two, maybe three of these episodes. Ash and May? Pretty much all of 'em except the other ones' plot episodes.

"But they're main characters!" Yeah, whatever, that still doesn't excuse giving so much attention to May when they can't be bothered to remember Brock exists save once in a blue moon.

Maybe it only really upsets those of us who don't adore May as some kind of great champion of the female fanbase. But you've said yourself it bothers you. Why not speak up about it? Why not complain that, hey, maybe it'd be nice if someone else got the cool priveledge of traveling through time instead of giving yet another special opportunity to May?

EDIT: Yeah, sorry about the offtopicness. I think I'm to blame. But this got my blood boiling, and then seeing him say May needed more attention and I should take a chill pill and aaaaargh.

Last edited:
Okay, think I got your point...*looks back to what FabuVinny wrote before him*Hmmmm....well, the story ideas made by Serebii seem a bit complicated...I don't even know how the writers could pull up that episode with May meeting up Ash at the beggining of his journey..and if the situation gets complicated, maybe May would have two stay more then one episode in the past..

I'm sure it isn't that hard to pull off. All she has to do is find herself near Pallet Town, see Ash, change history, and then convince him to destroy Misty's bike. That would easily fit into one episode.

Well, that version I'd consider it easy and would fit, but i would also consider it lack of inspiration from the writers...Oh, and one more thing: Ash will not know who Misty will be..and probably May will help Ash go heal his Pikachu without going to meet up with Misty...I will not say anything further on until I will see a preview of that episode(i think that this is much more wiser).

You misunderstand. In this scenario, May has to get Misty to go to the Viridian City Pokémon Centre with a broken bike. She needs to go back to the present day, but the time lines must be put back to the way they were or she will have changed the future.

It is kinda scrambled, but i think i finally understood..Although, it is best if i'd comment after seeing a preview of that episode.

I dunno, I'd rather May not mess with the continuity, even if at the end everything's back to the way it was. It begs for trouble and there's more interesting things that can be done with time travel than "what if May were in the beginning of Pokémon?"

I cannot believe the amount of "This episode is going to suck" I saw on the first page. Time traveling is always a fun front to show, and only one character time-traveling is going to be a lot more interesting than the whole stupid gang going and having useless roles/lines. And the only Pokemon we know of who can time travel is Celebi, so it will have to be involved in this ep, unless there is some machine involved. My bet is that Celebi is going to show May something, and that it will somehow lead to Pokemon Ranger.

That the Ranger already appears two episodes before this one makes it doubtful. I'm sure Celebi needs May to see or do something, though. Judgeing by Ritchie's encounter, Celebi likes to use kids for its whims.

I think Ranger is going to be a bigger part of the Anime in the future than most people believe. Foreshadowing is something Pokemon likes to do a lot.

Yeah, Celebi will probably just show May something to inspire her or will use May to do something.

Water Pokémon Master said:
I think Ranger is going to be a bigger part of the Anime in the future than most people believe. Foreshadowing is something Pokemon likes to do a lot.

Considering it's already confirmed that the next movie and series of the anime will actually revolve around Ranger, i'd say anyone who believes otherwise obviously has a passion for staring at brick walls and seeing what they want to.

I don't see the Ranger theme being anything more than a mini-arc. The next saga after Kanto will be about the D/P region.

Ranger is just a spinoff game. Why in the world would they make a whole 100 episode long saga about a SPINOFF when the D/P games are right around the corner?

Unregistered said:
I don't see the Ranger theme being anything more than a mini-arc. The next saga after Kanto will be about the D/P region.

Considering the success of the Hosos/Chronicles as a mini-series - I'd say it's not that unlikely for Ranger to get full spin-off status.

Lord knows it's long overdue.

So these episodes will be an advertisement for that. I'm glad that's clear.

And Pie, how can you not like the idea of May in various attempts to get Kanto!Ash to destroy a bike and basically lead him to several months of misery? Besides that it is May and not Brock, I mean...

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom