• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

COMPLETE: "Look" (TEEN)

Re: "Look" ( Series? Chapter 1 is up)

Ok....thats cool. One fan is better than none. I'll put Chapter 2 up anyway.

"Look"
Chapter 2

"Better hurry before it gets late in the day."

Looker ran towards the stairs, zipping by an elderly woman watering the wall plants. Just as he was about to walk down the stairs, a hand grabbed his shoulder.

"Greetings, my friend!"

He spun around to look at the adult halting his advance. He was in a suit coat that could of dated back to the 80's, it's red color fading. His face held a thick mustache, a few silver hairs poking through the black ones. He must of been around forty or fifty years old, as he was starting to bald.

"I'm the Superintendent here, and on my watch I'll offer 24 hour -yawn- ser-se- -yawwwn- service. And you are?"

"I'm Looker. I just moved in here."

"Whuzzat? I'm a looker? Why thank you, but whats your name?"

With an annoyed tone, Looker switched to his "understandable" wording.

"My name, it is Looker, that is what they call me."

"Ah, pleasure to meet you Lookar. Please, make yourself at home."

"Yeah, thanks....."

The Superintendent turned and walked to the older woman, allowing Looker to continue on.

"Is everybody in this Region like that?" he thought, exiting the Codominiums.

---------------------------------------

The bike shop smelled of metal gears and grease. The floor was littered with spare parts of every kind- Brakes, pumps, pedals, tires- Everything.

A man was in the middle of the mess, hlding a clipboard.

"Excuse me sir, I'm looking for a job."

The man whipped around, scattering the assorted accelarators around his feet.

"Huh? Oh, a job?"

"Yes sir."

The man scrathed his bald head a moment, rapped his greasy fingers on the clipboard, and nodded.

"Sure buddy. Can you count? Take inventory?"

"I sure can."

"Great. You can start tomorrow by organizing my bike parts."

"Awright! Thank you!"

"Oh, and leave the slacks and office shirt at home. Wear some casual clothes that aren't too big. Be here 9'o clock sharp."

"Yessir."

------------------------------------

Looker may of got a job, but he still had a few problems.

-He didn't expect to bea grease-monkey at a bike shop when he left home, he wanted to stop crime.

-He was a stranger in a strange land, and nobody could really understand him.

-And he didn't pack any "Casual clothes that fit". He had only threw in a couple of his father's suits. He didn't even have normal shoes.

"What can I do?" he thought, truding back up the stairs to his room.

"If only I planned things out...."

He passed the same old lady as before, only this time walking. She must of took notice of his worried face.

"Whats wrong, sonny? Why the long face?"

He was suprised she had talked to him.

"O-oh, nothing."

"Herm, something is allright."

"No ma'm, it's fine."

"Why don't you come have some tea in my apartment?"

Looker was still uncomfortable with all this.

"Ok...."

Once seated at a small table, the lady brought two cups of tea.

"Now- What has you worried?"

He sighed, may as well tell anyway.

"I just moved here. I got a job at the bike shop down the street, but I didn't pack the right clothes to work in." He had forgotten to word his sentance diferently.

The lady's wrinkled face smiled slighty.

"You're not from around here, are you? So you need more clothes, eh?"

"You can understand me?"

"Of course. I've been all over the world...when I was younger, that is. Now, to the problem at hand..."

She got up and went to a back room. He was amazed that somebody actually understood what he was saying. Who was this woman?

She returned, with a bundle of clothes.

"These belonged to my son when he was your age."

She the "casual wear" down. twenty shirts, a bundle of jeans, a pile of socks, and even a great load of underwear.

"I want you to have them. My son was going to give them to his child, but he and his wife had a daughter instead. In fact, she's about your age if memory serves...."

"Oh wow, thank you so much!"

Looker felt like a Wailord had been lifted off his shoulders.

"Your very welcome young man. Now go and rest up."

"Yes ma'm. Thanks again."

He left with his new wardrobe, grinning ear from ear. They may be hand-me-downs, but they were better than nothing.

Meanwhile, the sweet old lady was still sipping tea, thinking.

"What was that grandaughter of mines name again? Hm...blast! I just saw her at a Contest....."

She continued to sip tea.

----------------------------------------------

NOTE: 25 points to whoever can guess who the mystery girl is.

Last edited:
Re: "Look" ( Chapter 2 up now! Comments welcome!)

You're lacking in the description department. You included smell, which is good, but overall, you need to work on that. It is true that you only really have to describe things in detail during slow or important scenes, but you haven't really had any big action scenes yet or anything.

The dialogue was good. Not quite great, but it's only the beginning of your story, so I wouldn't expect shocking/interesting interchanges just yet.

Other than that, it's good.

Thanks for the pointers Lugion.

Wow. Just read it. But Johanna? Really? Wow. Old lady must be dead now(DP time), she's Dawn's Great G-ma. And how is he talking different?

“Look”
Chapter 3​

Eterna City was good for Looker.

He had gained favor with Rad Rickshaw his first day being an employee for him with his good inventory skills.

With his job, he was able to meet rent every time it was due. With the rest of his cash he bought an alarm clock, radio, mini-fridge, and soda. After seeing firsthand how much it takes to live, he was glad he had gotten free clothes.

He and the sweet old lady would visit often. She revealed her name was Celia. She was the closest thing Looker had to a friend in the Sinnoh Region.

After a year, he had gotten the hang of Sinnoh. He only had to talk to Rad, but that was to only say “yes” or “no”, and Celia, which could understand him without having to word his sentences differently.

For his good work at the bike shop and also for his birthday, Rad sold him a bike for half off.

“Thanks a lot, Mr.Rickshaw!”

“Sure thing buddy. Without you to organize the place, we wouldn’t have customers and I would be ankle high in cluttered bike chains.”

Looker loved his dark green bike, and on weekends, would ride it all over the city.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One Friday evening Looker was returning from a bike ride when Celia called him over to her apartment.

“Looker dear, come and have some tea with me!”

Once seated at a small table inside Celia’s light blue kitchen Celia came and sat down, handing a teacup to the sixteen year old.

“My, you’re growing like a Tropius.”

He blushed.

“I have a favor to ask of you….”

“Of course, what is it?”

He owed her at least a favor after the whole clothes deal.

“Well, my granddaughter, the one I told you about, is coming to visit me tomorrow. But the thing is, I think she would be bored just to sit around here with a dull 67 year old woman like me.”

Looker began to feel awkward and nervous at the same time, but didn’t know why.

“You run around town more than I do, and you two are about the same age, so do you think you could show here the sites? Show her a good time? I don’t want her to laze around here all week….”

“Sure I could. I have the weekend off, so it’ll work out fine.”

“Oh bless you Looker! She should be here about 1 o’clock.”

“Ok, sounds good.”

“You’re a sweet young man, Looker dear. Never change that.”

Celia walked over and hugged him. He was glad Luke the sailor wasn’t there to see, or he would forever be hounded with comments like- “So ole’ Looker made it with a ‘wrinkled lass’ eh? Aharahar!”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looker couldn’t go to sleep that night.

What did “show her a good time” mean? Where would he take her? What was she like?

He knew girls back home, sure, but he never really talked to them. He didn’t know a thing about girls at all.

While sailing to Sinnoh, he had heard a sailor say “Showed her a good time”…… after stopping at a port town in some placed called Hoenn….

“Aye! She was a classy dame from that “Tree City” or whatever. After a few drinks, I went behind the bar and showed her a good time! Aherherher!”

“What does that mean, Sean?” (The sailors name was Sean.)

“M’boy, I’ll tell you some other time…… Hey Trebek, how’s that mother of yours…..”

Sean the sailor never told him what that meant.
After about two hours, he drifted off to sleep.

---------------------------------------------------------------

He awoke around 9 o’clock.

He proceeded to take a shower, comb his hair, and brush his teeth.

After a breakfast of waffles, scrambled eggs, and a can of soda, he went to the closet.

“What should this snazzy beast wear…..”

He rummaged threw his clothes over his head as he searched- his normal duds, his pants, slacks, his only remaining tie, a couple of pairs of sneakers, his trench coat- all landing around his bed.

“Look at me, worrying what to wear like a girl. Feh, I look good in anything.”

For the year he had been in Sinnhoh, his confidence had gone up since he first left home. Maybe it was the brotherhood he felt with the sailors, maybe it was earning his own money, maybe it was living on his own, but he knew things were good this point in time.

“This will look pretty snazzy.” he said putting on a pair of crisp, dark blue jeans. He grabbed one of his office shirts and put it on, leaving it un-tucked. He slipped on some black shoes and clipped on his wrist watch. 11:39.

“Here goes nothing….”

As he sat in the comfy leather recliner, he began to think.

“What if she thinks I sound funny? What if she thinks I’m strange? Where do I take her? What if she has no legs? WHAT IF I HAVE NO LEGS?”

His confidence starting to fade, he goes to the mini-fridge and pulls out a soda. With 2 gulps its gone.

“Phew…I needed that……”

Suddenly, a knock came from the door.

“Um…erm……just a moment please!” he calls to the door.

He quickly retrieves another can of soda, yanks the tab off, and inhales the brown, sugary substance.

Wiping his mouth he strolls over to the door and opens it.

A young girl, around his age, smiles at him. Her hair is a brilliant dark blue, almost black. A red hair clip accenting its beauty. Her eyes were blue, a peaceful blue, the centers sparkling. She had a thin build, but was just plum cute for a sixteen year old girl, and had all the….right proportions. She wore denim capris , a cream colored shirt with a red stripe running through it, and sandals.

“Hey! I’m Johanna. My grandma said you’d show me around?”

“Erm….yeah, yeah. I’m Looker. Nice to meet you, Johanna.”

This was the moment of truth. Would Johanna think Looker talked funny? Was he a weirdo?

She giggled.

“That’s a real cool name, Looker. Nice to meet you too!” She held out her slender, small hand.

He took the hand in his, preparing to shake it, but then a past memory flashed in his mind.

It was Sean the sailor. Looker was looking at the dock, Sean was talking to a lady in a red dress. He took her hand, bowed a little, and kissed the back of her hand. The lady swooned and giggled, giving the burly sailor a smooch on the lips. Later, after setting sail, Sean commented “Never shake a dames hand, always kiss it.:

Looker did the same thing- bowing slightly, he put his lips to the back of her hand, and came back up, releasing her hand.

“Now what? Was that strange? Oh no non no no-Wait! A compliment!” he thought

“You look lovely today.” he said.

Johanna blushed, giggled into her hand, and said-

“Thanks.” softly.

The two of them walked into town, searching for something to do.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

After a few minutes, Johanna piped up.

“Ooh, what’s that statue over there?”

She pointed to the old, old stature sitting atop a hill.
“That’s an old statue where they use to have festivals and stuff. Now it just sits there.”

“Neat! Mind if we go see it?”

“Lets go!”

The two scrambled up the hill.

“Wow….its some sort of Pokemon……wonder which one?”

“No telling. It must have been pretty big…”

The rustic structure resembled a mighty Dragon of some sort, a large jewel on its broad chest.

The duo sat on the warm grass by the statue.

“Do you have any Pokemon, Looker?”

“Me? No, I never got into them. You?”

“Oh yes! I show them in Contests over in Hearthome.”

“Ah, cool.”

Truth be told, Looker had never heard of the place.

“Yeah. Me and my Eevee and Glameow haven’t won yet, but I’m sure we will!”

“You probably will. If you ever need support, just tell me and I’ll be there.”

Truth be told again, he had no idea how “Pokemon Contests” worked.

“Aw, thanks!”

The setting sun was breathtaking over Eterna City.

“So you’re hear all week?”

“Yep.”

“Heh, me and you should do some more things if you want to….”

“Sure I want to, silly! You’re real nice…..”

“Thanks…you too….”

“Lets take a trip to Floaroma Town tomorrow! That would be fun!”

“Ok, sounds good!”

The sun lowered deeper into the sky.

---------------------------------------------------------------

“Well, thanks for showing me around.”

“You’re welcome. I had fun.”

“Me too! Goodnight, Looker.”

“Night Johanna.”

Just as she was about to open the door to her grandma’s apartment, she turned around.

“Oh, hey. Remember when you kissed my hand?” she asked with a devilish tone of voice.

“Urm, yeah…I’m s-sorry if you-”

Before he could finish, she leaned close to him and kissed him on the cheek.

“Teehee, now we’re even.”

And like that, she left the stunned Looker alone in the hallway. He put a hand on his cheek.

Without changing the look on his face, he entered his own apartment, got into night clothes, brushed his teeth, turned off the lights, crawled into bed , and laid there.

20 minutes later, he comes out of his trance and says-

“What is this, I don’t even......."

Then he passed out, asleep.

--------------------------------------------------

Comments, pointers, and tips always welcome.

25 points to whoever catches the two guest characters beside Johanna.

Last edited:
Re: "Look" ( Chapter 3 up now! Comments welcome!)

You change tenses a lot.

"he entered his own apartment"

and then

"20 minutes later he comes out of his trance"

and the guests are Sean Motherfucking Connery and Alex Trebek.

You change tenses a lot.

"he entered his own apartment"

and then

"20 minutes later he comes out of his trance"

and the guests are Sean Motherfucking Connery and Alex Trebek.

Thanks for reading and for pointing that out. I'll try to work on that.

25 points for you. Expect more "special guests" being sailors.

I agree about the tenses thing. Try to keep consistent on whichever you choose.

Also, it might be good to add a little more meat to the bones of your story. Basically, the majority of the chapters are back and forth dialogue, which is fine, but it would be good to break some of it up with description. Describe what's going on during the conversation.

So yeah, other than needing more description, I think this is a great story idea. You have good writing skills, so I'm confident that this will be very good.

I agree about the tenses thing. Try to keep consistent on whichever you choose.

Also, it might be good to add a little more meat to the bones of your story. Basically, the majority of the chapters are back and forth dialogue, which is fine, but it would be good to break some of it up with description. Describe what's going on during the conversation.

So yeah, other than needing more description, I think this is a great story idea. You have good writing skills, so I'm confident that this will be very good.

Thanks for reading and for the review! I'll try to work on the tense thing, as thats my biggest bump right now. It should be easy to add meat to the bones, as action scenes are coming up. Stay tuned! I'll try and have a Chapter or two up every week.

Cool chap. If you make looker dawns dad for some reason I'll! You know, not really care. Will he get a pokemon or join the International police peeps soon?

Cool chap. If you make looker dawns dad for some reason I'll! You know, not really care. Will he get a pokemon or join the International police peeps soon?

Trust me, Looker is NOT Dawn's dad. And He'll find out about the IP in chapter 5, so one more "dull" chapter, then it picks up.

EDIT: Expect Chapter 4 tonight. Also, do you just want me to combine Chapters 4 and 5, because both of them are pretty boring......

Last edited:

“Look”
Chapter 4
To Looker, the sun always shone in the fragrant Eterna City.

He had a place of his own, cash, and, for the most part, his own life. He was truly his own man, all at age sixteen.

He awoke around the same time as yesterday and went about his morning routine, only with the same stunned face he had last night. The face of being kissed by a cute girl.

As he was putting on his clothes, similar to the ones he wore the previous day only the shirt was a dark brown, a familiar knock came at the door.

“Just a second!” he called with his shirt half-way on.

He went to the mini-fridge, grabbed a chilled can of soda, and with a couple of gulps, threw the empty can into the trash.

He opened the door to see Johanna, smiling and holding a picnic basket. Today she wore a vivid green shirt, and she smelled…well, she smelled good.

“Ready to go to Floaroma Town?”

“Yep. What’s with the basket?”

“We’ll have a picnic!”

“Oh, cool!”

The duo exited the Condominiums, chatting about small things.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the edge of Eterna City the pair stopped. A sign was posted that read-

“Eterna forest-Eterna City.”

“We’ll have to walk through the forest first.” Johanna said, moving closer to Looker.

He was nervous. He had never left Eterna City. Then he thought about the wild Pokemon within the thick forest. What if one attacks him like the Golbat did?

He rubbed his left arm. His Bite wound had long since healed, leaving a distinctive scar.

“NO!” he thought. “Looker, you sly dog, put on a brave face for her!”

With his confidence boosted, he began to walk towards the towering trees.

“Lets get to it then!”

He smiled back to Johanna, who giggled and followed after him.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The forest was just as lush and green as the city that shared it’s name. The large, thick trees made a maze through the tall blades of thin grass. The treetops blotted out parts of the sky and the sun shone through the opening of branches and leaves, giving the ground blotches of light.

“There’s a rumor that some crazy old man used to live in a big house up here, but when a ghost-robot attacked him, he moved away.” Johanna said with a tone of dread.

“Its just a rumor, who’s ever heard of a ‘ghost-robot‘? And you did say he was crazy, right?”

“No, like the ghost possessed a robot and tried to shock the old coot!”

“Hm. That would be fun to investigate!” Looker replied, intrigued by such a story.

“You’re more adventurous than I am…. You must be born with it….”

“Not really. Some days you just have to get up and decide to go look for adventure.”

Johanna thought about what he had just said. He was right. A strong warmth welled up inside the young girl, causing her to take Looker’s hand in hers.

“Thanks Looker…..lets look together.”

He didn’t know how to reply to this, or how to react to her holding his hand, so he just nodded and continued to walk.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Floaroma Town was like Eterna City- only smaller, and instead of trees, it had an abundance in flowers and plants of every kind.

“Smell those flowers! What a scent!” Johanna squealed as they entered the small town.

As far as the eye could see, flowers were everywhere on the ground. The whole place was one giant flower patch, perfect for picnics.

Sitting down in the middle of the ocean of petals, Looker began to roll up his sleeves, another thing he learned from his sea-faring days-

The bottom levels of the ship is where they all ate. A large, wooden table is where the crew sat, the captain sitting at the end. The table was old and worn, knife marks and stains taking up the majority of the wood.

Sailor John, another man of the sea, would always roll up his sleeves.

“What’s the point of that John?” a fourteen year Looker asked one supper.

“Ah, young chap. Around gentlemen and the sort, its so you don’t stain your sleeves while eating, yes, but around the tenderness of a woman, its to show off your tattoos and scars, you see?”

“Oh….cool.”

“Now, any other questions?”

“Nope.”

“Excellent, now for my daily cigar…”

John pulled out a plump cigar and touched the tip to his lighter, causing a rich smoke to fill the air.

“AYE! Its like someone let loose a family of Koffing in here! John! Put that puffer out! Us sailors are going to be cut down in health!” Luke yelled from the other end of the table.

With a deep breath of smoke, John called back-

“Better than cutting the scarred earth!”

The Captain called to them all -”Quiet! You’re both riding me up a wall!”

“That’s what your mother said last night, Trebek!” Sean yelled over to the man at the end seat.

“Sean!”

“Ahejejejejhar!”

John turned to Looker, cigar clutched in hand, sly smile across his face.

He didn’t understand any of it.

So anyway- With his sleeves rolled up to about his elbows, Johanna took notice of his scar.

“What happened!?!”

“Huh? Oh, my arm. Its just a scar.”

“How did you get it?” she asked, inspecting the scar closer.

“I was in Mt.Coronet and-”

“Mt.Coronet! Man, you really are adventurous.”

“And a Golbat swooped down and bit me, but its just fine now.”

“Wow……with that scar, exotic voice, and that attraction to adventure, some might call you a global man of danger…..” she said with a hint of desire.

Looker nearly choked on his peanut butter sandwich at her comment, or, more so, the way she said it.

Choking down the food, he replied

“T-thanks….that’s kinda what I want to be when I get older, some kind of crime-stopper that tackles crime around the world.”

He had never told anyone but Luke what he wanted to be. He hoped Johanna wouldn’t laugh at the idea.

“That’s a great goal! I want to be the Pokemon Contest Champion some day!”

He was relieved. She hadn’t laughed at him. She understood him.

“That’s cool! I know you can reach your dreams if I can!”

“Deal!”

With a laugh, she lunged at him over the picnic basket, embracing him in a hug. Doing the only thing he could do, he hugged back.

He had never felt what he felt right there. She was soft, warm, tender. He liked Johanna. Liked her a lot. She was kind, smart, and not hard to look at. And the greatest part of it was, she liked him back. He couldn’t tell what was sweeter- the smell of the flowers or her. Probably her.
With that one hug, all his worries vanished. His father’s death, his running away, his awkward style of talking-gone. Nothing could bring him down. This was pleasure at its fullest.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The couple’s week of fun was coming to an end. Johanna was planned to return to her home of Twinleaf Town in one day. They both knew it would come, and the two spent their last hours together sitting in the Condominiums lobby, hands together, seated on the couch.

“I’ll miss you, Looker. I had a great time with you.”

“I’ll miss you too, Johanna. We’ll have to do it again sometime.”

“Yeah…….I should be visiting again in about a year….”

Tears began to form in the girl’s eyes.

He put his arm around her shoulder to comfort her.

“Hey, I’ll be waiting right here for you. Don’t cry….just don’t cry….”

She closed her eyes and leaned on his shoulder.

“Ok…….” she said, tears rolling down her gorgeous face.

“Thanks for everything.”

“You’re very welcome…thank you.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Looker was asleep in his bed when the all familiar knock awoke him from his deep slumber.

Rubbing his eyes he got up. He sauntered over to the door, the moonlight being his path through the dark apartment.

Pulling open the door, he saw Johanna standing there, wearing a jacket and holding a duffel bag.

“J-Johanna, I thought you would of headed out by n-”

Before he could finish, she walked into the apartment without a word.

“Um…make yourself at home….”
She set her bag down and walked over to the sleepy boy.

“I didn’t get a chance to really say thank you earlier, and I thought I should before I go…….”

And like that, she wrapped her slender arms around Looker and pressed her lips to his. This snapped him awake instantly. Reacting to instinct, he put his arms around her waist and returned her kiss with a few smaller ones.

The two, while smooching up a storm, scooted over to the chair and plopped down as one figure. If he had thought a hug was nice, this was ecstasy. He didn’t care if they were kids that only knew each other for a week, he didn’t care how Johanna knew how to work her lips and tongue like that, he didn’t care if an Ursaring came bursting through a wall and began to destroy the place- he was making out with a girl.

After 45 minutes or so, the two let go of one another and lifted from the recliner.

“You’re….you’re welcome….” was all he could gasp.

“Never change Looker.”

She picked up her bag and headed for the door. She turned around to look at the boy in boxers and sleeping shirt she had just kissed.

“I gotta go now…….don’t tell my grandmother, ok?”

“Don’t worry, I won’t.” he winked at her.

With a chuckle, she blew him a kiss and walked out the door.

He watched her walk down the street out of town from his window. The morning sun was just beginning to rise above the horizon. She was the best thing so far about Sinnoh, and all Looker could do was smile as she walked away.

The sun always shone in Eterna City, and he only saw good, good things.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Look”
Chapter 5

Looker missed Johanna, that was for sure. Celia would always ask if “The young whipper-snappers” had fun, and his reply would always be “Yes.”

But, beside missing her, things continued to run smoothly in Eterna City for the next year. He grew in stature and in favor with the locals, and with some extra cash, he started buying books of all kinds to study. He knew his father would want him to do that. He also bought an atlas of the Sinnoh Region.

Between working at the bike shop, paying rent, and riding around town, things were good in Eterna.

Good. Not perfect.

He, now seventeen, still had not found an opportunity to stop crime. That was the whole reason he had run away three years previous. He knew he had to get to it, before he waits too long. He had a basic understanding of the Region, he felt at home, in a sense, now it was time to go for his goal.

“The only problem, however…..” he thought out loud one night while laying in bed-

“Is all the towns in Sinnoh don’t need anymore Local Police….”

He started to frown. Had he traveled half-way around the world just to be some guy working in a bike shop?

With a “humph” he turned off the lamp sitting on his nightstand and went to sleep.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One grey morning he had sweeping duty at Rad’s bike shop. Getting up an hour earlier than normal, he trudged down the street to the small building. Just a normal Thursday.

In front of the building was a small red mail-box. The still half-asleep seventeen year old walked over to the small container, noticing the tiny red flag turned up.

“Hm, early mail today……”

Pulling down the metal lid he retrieved the handful of envelopes.

“Bill……brochure guide…..bill……post card from a guy named….named Wattson?…..and……”

He paused.

“….and a flyer that’s promoting the ‘International Police!’”

Running into the shop, he flung the rest of the mail onto Rad’s desk and hurriedly goes and flips on the show room lights.

He starts to read the flyer aloud.

“Wanted- brave, bold young people willing to travel around the world stopping crime. Must qualify through a series of tests and training courses over the time span of a few weeks.
To go to an interview, go to Pastoria city and take Voyage #4 this coming Friday.”

-I.P. Director Cullen.

Looker nearly fainted. This was too good to be true. Right when he was giving up hope, hope came in the form of a flyer. This was it. He was going to try out for the “International Police”.

“What was the International Police anyway? Sounds neat!” he thought, his mind racing.

Deciding that he’d leave tomorrow early in the morning and plan tonight, he folded up the paper and put it in his pocket. He went and grabbed the wide broom with black bristles. One more day with a “normal” job wasn’t that bad.

He started to hum as he swept. He would tell Rad when he came in and hope he would understand.

Nothing could bring the beaming young man down.

------------------------------------------------------------------

“Looker? You get the floor clean?”

“Yes sir, Mr.Rickshaw.”

“Good job. Start on displaying those new pedals we got in the back room.”

“Yes sir.”

The day droned on. Little kids needing some part after a wreck, parents looking for birthday presents, bikers checking out the newest products. Just an usual day in the bike shop.

Once the day was starting to end, he went up to Rad.

“Um, excuse me sir. A minute of your time?”

With a quizzical look, Rad replied-

“Huh? Sure……”

“Thanks. I…I have a chance to possibly join the International Police, and I would have to leave town tomorrow if I were to try…..”

THE International Police? Aren’t you a bit young?”

“They say they want young people…for deputies I guess….”

“Ah….International Police eh? Heh, very big dream……And you say you’d have to up and leave tomorrow?”

“Yes sir……I’ve wanted something like this to happen for years……”

Rad shifted his weight on his right foot, then his left, and did his trademark neck scratch.

“Looker, you’re a darn fine employee. A damn fine one, really. I don’t know your past, nor do I want to know…..and when you talk about ambitions and things, it makes me wonder what made you who you are…..what happened in your past to make you want to do this? But like I said, I don’t want to know…….damn fine employee kid…….”

He hadn’t expected Rad to go so deep with their talk.

“And I know, I know, I’m just a bike salesman with a bald spot, but I’ve lived life day in and day out and go through the same trials as anyone else…you’d make a good International Police Agent…..”

The older man looked down, again shifting his weight from foot to foot.

“What I do want, Looker……..”

He held out his hand, soft smile covering his face.

“Is a promise that you’ll qualify and make it.”

Looker’s swelled with joy, grasping the other mans hand firmly and shaking it.

“Thank you, Mr.Ricksahaw! Thank you!”

“Please, call me Rad. You don’t work here anymore.” he said with a laugh.
“I won’t forgot this, er, Rad.”

“Oh, one other thing!” he turned and darted to his office, dug around in his desk, and retrieved an envelope.

“Here buddy, take your last weeks ‘pay check‘.” he said holding out the white paper item.

“B-but today is only Thursday….”

“Go ahead, take it. I insist….”

Taking the ‘pay check’, he noticed a thin stack of green bills were tucked inside.

“Mr. Ri- Rad, my pay check isn’t this much…I couldn’t ju-”

“Ap ap ap! Say nothing on it. Now get outta here unless you’re going to buy something.” Rad said with a joking smile.

With a laugh, Looker nodded, patted Rad on the back, and walked out of the bike shop for the last time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next morning Looker awoke with renewed energy. Today was the day he finally met his goal. He had packed his bag the night before, only this time using an actual hiking back pack. The pumped teenager put on some travel clothes and prepared to leave.

He went about his morning routine, drank a soda, and looked back one more time at his humble apartment. His old suitcase was sitting by the chair.

“Heh, that old thing…..”

He walked over to the worn suitcase and placed it in his closet. Memories of lugging it across the ocean flashed in his mind like a strobe light in darkness……

“Look at ya, Looker! You’re only a lad and hauling better luggage than all of us sailors!”

The sailor that said this was Sailor Ben. He had dark toned skin, a bald head, soft eyes, and long fingers. His raspy voice could be heard most of the time singing old jazz songs and night club tunes. He claimed back home he had a snazzy Porsche, but this was never proven.

“Thanks Ben…but what do sailors use to carry their clothes in?” the 14 year old Looker asked.

“Aheheha! Looker-Cat,” he began jumping down from his bunk, “One of two things…”

He crouched to the floor and pulled a thick, dense trunk from under the bunk bed.

“Either a ship trunk like this old thing here” he said, tapping his fingers on the leather extior.

“Or a big ol’ bag like this, ya dig?” he replied pulling out a large fabric bag from under the bed, it’s draw strings frayed.

“Oh. I see……”

Pushing the items back under the bottom bunk, Ben raised up.

“Now then Looker-Cat, you wanna learn what a ‘Jive Turkey’ is?”

“Sure!”

The two shipmates walked past Sailor Sean and Captain Trebek bickering over a thing called “Buck Futters”, whatever that meant.

Besides Luke, Ben was probably the nicest sailor of the crew.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Before he made it to the stairs, Celia’s voice bellowed from within her apartment.

“Wait, Looker! Come over here a minute!”

He was surprised she was up this early.

“Yes ma’m?” he asked.

“I just wanted to see that handsome face one last time……I know you’ll do well, dear….”

“Thanks. Thank you for everything…..”

“Oh don’t men-” she stopped and gazed at the coat’s left sleeve.

“Heavens! You can’t go to a job interview with a tattered sleeve! Hand it here, hand it here!”

She ran the coat over to a sink. She then filled a pot with warm water and pulled out a small container filled with green dust.

“I got this at the herb shop…it’ll lift that stain right out.” she said, emptying the powder into the water, turning it a deep green.

She pressed the sleeve into the warm water, lifted it out, ringed it out, and patted it down with a dish rag. To his amazement, the three year old bloodstain had vanished.

“Now for those tears……”

The spry 69 year old went to work stitching and sewing the rips in on the smooth interior, thin, wrinkled fingers moving in a blur as the gashes grew smaller and smaller.

He was amazed at how fast the older lady went, never stopping, and always with a soft smile.

“There, all fixed. How does that look?”

The sleeve was all better. You wouldn’t be able to tell it was tattered and splattered with blood. Celia had done an astonishing job.

“Wow, it looks brand new….Thank you!”

“Of course dear, of course…”

She hugged the Looker with a strong embrace and squeezed.

“Never change Looker, never change.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTES: I hated writing this chapter. I’m not a big fan of shipping, but it relates to the story later on. This is also the end of this saga of “Look”, as I’ve covered his beginnings, how he got to Sinnoh, and his first couple of years that’ll play a role as the action parts pick up. I know these chapters were dull, but now we dive into Looker as he joins the International Police!

Again-Thanks for reading and comments, tips, and pointers welcome!
25 points to whoever recognizes the “special guest sailor” and hidden guest(s)

NEXT- The road to Pastoria City! And a return from an old character! 50 points to whoever can guess the right answer!

Re: "Look" ( Chapter 4&5 up now! Comments welcome!)

Luke and Ben, Star Wars References? aside from the odd word omission, I found it quite enjoyable.

Luke or johanna comes back. Lookshipping(looker x johanna). ya.

Thanks for reading guys! I never thought I would even get a small number of replies. And I forgot to mention there are 2, yes 2, guest sailors, Ultra Pidgeat got 1 of them. The hidden guest (Not Delia) stil hasn't been guessed, nor has the special return character.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom