• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M20: I Choose You!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks better than I was expecting, although it does confirm it's basically going to be a retelling of Episode 1 (and possibly more of Kanto). I did like the Ho-Oh wing Ash picked up at the end, though.

I'm excited to see this Movie in Japanese, at least: the dub, however, I'll be avoiding completely since it'll probably mess this one up for me beyond compare.

Guys, we still don't really know anything about the plot of the film except that it will include a retelling of the original meeting and that Ho-Oh will appear in some capacity. It could go many ways still, some examples:
1. A full retelling of one or many OS episodes with an eventual disappointing cameo by Ho-Oh.
2. A brief reminder of the original meeting suddenly shifting back to Alola where Satoshi gets reminded about Ho-Oh and goes chasing it.
3. A complete AU version of the beginning of Satoshi/Pikachu's journey in high Ho-Oh's "chosen one" strategy takes centre stage.

Let's not fight to the death yet.

One little detail I should note is that Ash has a little line across his white sleeves. Also, his backpack is grey instead of green like in the original. Which is why I initially thought Ash was going to have a new outfit when encountering Ho-Oh.

Oh and this:
tumblr_om5z3dhhzK1r8sc3ro1_1280.jpg

Is just perfect. I like the little attitude standoff they're having here. Even when their friendship is at a negative, they still mimic each other.

Holy fiddle riddle diddle fiddle corn hopping flying banana making burger on a fiddlestick with 2 extra large fries and a bag of Plams Batman! You all have no idea how excited I am for this film, animation looks brilliant. A taste of XY's animation with a mixture of the original feel makes for this ultimate recipe.

My guess and my bet: This is an AU version of the OS continuity, different from the TV series, a different timeline and a different universe.
Proof: the minor differences in the details of conversation between Ash and Pikachu, the Rainbow Feather, and Ash's determination to someday he'll go meet Ho-Oh which wasn't that case in EP001.

Now here is the conspiracy: If there is another alternative OS continuity, then what is the current SM animeverse?
I'm still believing that the current SM series doesn't set in the same universe as the old OS continuity.

2. A brief reminder of the original meeting suddenly shifting back to Alola where Satoshi gets reminded about Ho-Oh and goes chasing it.
I just don't see this happening. Why make these changes to the original story if the point is to shift back to Alola? They could have just had Ash get a Rainbow Wing in Alola.

クリスタル said:
Now here is the conspiracy: If there is another alternative OS continuity, then what is the current SM animeverse? I'm still believing that the current SM series doesn't set in the same universe as the old OS continuity.
If Pikachu uses a Z-move in Kanto, then that will prove that the movie does not take place in the same continuity as SM.

I don't see a reason to assume that the original continuity is no longer relevant to the show.

Why make these changes to the original story if the point is to shift back to Alola? They could have just had Ash get a Rainbow Wing in Alola.
The thing is, we're too soon into trailer/summary/spoiler life to know for sure that the movie will give us the exact event of Satoshi obtaining a Rainbow Wing in Kanto. It could be he gets it at some other time, OR he may not get it at all.

We two want similar things from this movie, I'm just loathe to set myself up for a disappointment already. As a fandom, we are notoriously bad at correctly interpreting the early promos.

Speaking of which, what can we expect next in terms of news, and when? :p

Now here is the conspiracy: If there is another alternative OS continuity, then what is the current SM animeverse?
I'm still believing that the current SM series doesn't set in the same universe as the old OS continuity.

Removing Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, Kalos and possibly Johto from Ash's shoulders may seem like an attractive way to make SM Ash's behavior more believable, but doing away with so many years of continuity on an impulse is not a great idea. Ash being inexperienced or immature again despite the last series' events is not a new problem. There's little benefit from removing Ash's friends and Pokémon from his history just to solve this problem for once, when we all know it will reappear sooner or later. I'd rather they remain ambiguous about it if it means we may at least see old characters every once in a while, if only for a short while.

In regards to how the movie will work continuity-wise, it remains to be seen. If it's just a single movie, any statement about "continuity" is rather pointless. If not, then it depends on their purpose. It could be a completely different story, and the first episode may be the extent of its similarity with the original series. Or it could be a largely consistent retelling of events adapted for a theatrical format. I don't think additional events or "functional" retcons are necessarily a big issue. Ash having a previously-unseen Ho-Oh adventure is different from, say, evolving his Bulbasaur or winning the League.

We still know little about this.

Will this be an AU or a retcon?
Will we see Misty, Brock, and Ash's other Pokémon?
Why is the bike missing?
Will this be a one-time just to give lip service to nostalgia before going back to the same old?
Will we know why Ho-Oh chose Ash? Will he befriend him?
What will happen after the movie? A new series? Other movies?
Won't they need Alola in M21?
Will we only be shown the first episode then left in waiting for another year?

Oh my god if they....if they did this....
Like I'm by no means a genwunner and I don't even think Kanto was the best arc of the franchise but they're so obviously playing up the nostalgia with this advertising, if it turned out to just be another generic legendary movie set in Alola I'd be so pissed. I don't think that will happen bc we'd probably see art of Alola Ash and the movie art style would probably be closer to SM's but it's just plausible enough that I'm worried.

My guess (which I saw on Tumblr and am stealing as my own) is that the first 5-10 minutes will be more or less a faithful recreation of EP001 until Ash sees Ho-Oh, then it will diverge from what we've seen in the main continuity and do it's own thing. He'll probably still meet Misty, Brock, and Team Rocket, just in different ways, which tbh I'm really excited about the possibilities (we could know what Team Rocket's next assignment would be if they had successfully raided the Viridian City Pokemon Center).

Also I don't think they're going to make a series of movies based off this, just like we didn't get Pokemon Origins 2. I think why so many people think it's going to be the new thing is bc we haven't had a proper Sun/Moon movie yet. I could be wrong but I'm almost certain next year's will be a standard legendary-focused movie set in the regular continuity in Alola.

T̶e̶a̶m̶ ̶R̶o̶c̶k̶e̶t̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶

Someone made a video comparison. It shows the difference/retcon/continuity errors between the original and the movie:

There is two "errors" I noticed:

1. Satoshi has no rubber gloves.
2. Pikachu pokeball has thunderbolt sign.

I could be wrong but I'm almost certain next year's will be a standard legendary-focused movie set in the regular continuity in Alola.
I don't know why when that formula is considered stale by many as evidenced by the consistent decline in ticket sales over 2011-2016.

Can we wait and see how well this movie ends up being received before we declare that it is a one-off?

I don't know why when that formula is considered stale by many as evidenced by the consistent decline in ticket sales over 2011-2016.

Can we wait and see how well this movie ends up being received before we declare that it is a one-off?

I didn't declare anything. I literally said "I could be wrong". Can we wait and see how well this movie ends up being received before we declare that it is not a one-off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom