• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M20: I Choose You!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adamant said:
DtcOXhp_d.jpg

A presentation of keywords that will let you decipher the movie's story, which is filled with mysteries!!

Three keywords that will let you decipher what the adventure is about will now be revealed!!!

1) An adventure focused around the legend of the "Heroes of the Rainbow"!!
Satoshi tackles the legend of the legendary Pokémon Houou's "Heroes of the Rainbow."
He is guided by the Rainbow Feather.
*It appears you can meet it if you get guided by the Rainbow Feather.
*Will it lead him to Houou?

2) New characters
Are they enemies or allies? New encounters await him on his adventure!
Makoto: She has a Pochama as her partner. The truth is, she's secretly...
Soji: A young boy who aims to become a Pokémon professor. His partner is Lucario.

3) The mythical Pokémon Marshadow holds the key to the adventure!!
Marshadow is trying to ascertain if Satoshi is a suitable Hero of the Rainbow!
*Incredibly, it has the astonishing power to creep into people's shadows!

In the July issue of Corocoro we'll present a Marshadow manga as well as astonishing news!!
Jul 15: Movie 20 - Pocket Monsters the Movie: I Choose You! (Apr 15: New summary) - Page 103

I don't disagree with you. But how are they different?
One is responsible, other is irresponsible.

Honestly, I begin to think that she's either evil or Houou in disguise. Or both.
I also like how uninteresting Soji's description is:
Soji: A young boy who aims to become a Pokémon professor. His partner is Lucario.

Makoto: She has a Pochama as her partner. The truth is, she's secretly...

Could you imagine if this chick ended up being the real "Hero of the Rainbow"? Like after all this hype with Ash finally tracking down Ho-Oh it's actually destined to be this random girl?

I wouldn't even put it past them at this point, tbh.

Could you imagine if this chick ended up being the real "Hero of the Rainbow"? Like after all this hype with Ash finally tracking down Ho-Oh it's actually destined to be this random girl?

I wouldn't even put it past them at this point, tbh.
I wonder if she's like a team rocket member going undercover or something. Her little " secret" makes it seem like she has intentions. Whether those are good or bad we'll just have to wait and see.

It's an idea completely out of left field,I know. But let's be honest, they could do whatever they want.

I wonder if she's like a team rocket member going undercover or something. Her little " secret" makes it seem like she has intentions. Whether those are good or bad we'll just have to wait and see.

It's an idea completely out of left field,I know. But let's be honest, they could do whatever they want.

It's really not a bad thought. Honestly, I might be more interested in her if she actually turns out to be a villain. These characters still sound dull as hell, and I don't have much faith in this girl's "secret." If she did turn out to be an antagonist, though, that'd be kind of neat.

It's really not a bad thought. Honestly, I might be more interested in her if she actually turns out to be a villain. These characters still sound dull as hell, and I don't have much faith in this girl's "secret." If she did turn out to be an antagonist, though, that'd be kind of neat.
Still though, aren't you pissed that literally nothing new was shown in the corocoro today? They just gave us the same character descriptions, but just had a new picture on the magazine.

They're not even trying to entice us anymore. They're just reeling in the younger audience now.

Two months until the movie comes out, and I don't want to see the movie anymore then I did when it was first announced in December or whichever month it was.

Ok, now things are getting a bit more intriguing. The "are they enemies or allies" and "the truth is she's secretly" lines makes it seem like there's definitely more to Makoto and/or Soji than what meets the eye. We already knew Makoto had a secret, but now it seems like it'll be something quite important. It almost seems like they're damn near pointing at her having some sort of villainous association (or at least in some position that opposes Ash). But clearly we'll have to wait and see what else they'll chose to reveal.

Still disappointed with Soji's lack of descriptions. We still don't know much about him other than that he wants to be a professor, yet with Makoto we at the very least know she has some secret. I'm hoping it's because both of them are going to have some major importance to the story that they just don't want to spoil. Otherwise, I can't see why they keep withholding information about him.

Regardless, I'm getting much more excited for this movie. I can't wait to see what Makoto's secret will be. Also, Marshadow sounds like it'll be quite the interesting character, in that he's making sure Ash is suitable enough to be a Hero of the Rainbow.

Still though, aren't you pissed that literally nothing new was shown in the corocoro today?

No, I'm definitely annoyed. I don't care so much that they're appealing to the younger audience, since that is the anime's main demographic. It just seems like a hype crusher to keep everything so close to the vest. I understand they don't want to spell out the entire movie, which is fine, but I lost most of my interest in the movie when the new characters were revealed, which I think has been obvious enough in this thread. Every description we've gotten so far of the new characters is just so basic and doesn't personally give me any reason to get excited over them. The girl's "secret" interests me to an extent, but they've revealed nothing else about her that makes me more than just a little bit curious about that. Like that one aspect of her character isn't enough to get me fully invested in her.

I'm probably putting too much emphasis on the human characters, truthfully, but they've always been my favorite part of the anime. So the vagueness there is disappointing for me because I feel absolutely nothing for any of those characters right now. Marshadow sounds like it could be interesting, but at this point I'm not really excited for the movie, and Marshadow isn't enough for me to get heavily invested again.

I would like to know where Ash meets Makoto and Soji and if they are from Sinnoh, given both have Pokémon from there. Piplup is a Sinnoh Starter after all.

I wouldn't. If she were meant to be a special character, she shouldn't be passed off as an "irreplaceable companion" along with her boring male counterpart.

I am supposed to be interested in this movie because there might be a twist about a seemingly copycat character with inconsistent descriptions? Nope.

Last edited:
Ash have female companion from Sinnoh and another one who travelled with kim in Kanto- so I guess it's better if Miss ,,I have Dawn's Piplup and Misty's bike" is secretly pokemon/evil- plot like that sounds more interesting than mix of past characters :D

Last edited:
Souji and Makoto feels like two Schoolkid giving a little bit more traits (not quirks) than merely Schoolkids one may typically find in the game routes. Still yet, IMO they are still not unique nor special enough for me to differentiate them from those stereotypical generic Schoolkids.

That says, I don't have any attachment to them as a character. Despite there allude Makoto may possess some secret, still it doesn't arouse my earnest interest to dig deep into her background, nor makes me feel I'm obligated to root for them. (Well to be fair, I don't even feel like wanting to root for Ash)

This will just be my extra two cents for reference. If Pokemon Anime want to create some unique non-generic characters, these will be some examples:
It is unfair if comparing them to protagonist characters, hence I choose specifically the secondary supporting characters that always stay alongside with the protagonist.

1) A cat-like robot from future send to take care of a weakling 4th-grader by that person's future grandson in order to alter his miserable destiny.

2) An ordinary male senior high school student living a busy life in central Tokyo. Often experience a realistic dream where he becomes a female student in a rural town at countryside.

3) One of the female player that is trapped in a well-known MMORPG game that had turned into a deadly game. Sub-leader of a well-known guild, her super-fast sword skill earned her the title "Flash". Strong-willed and pretty, loved by most male players.

4) A transferred student from Hong Kong, where revealed himself to be a distant relative of Clow Reed. He comes to Japan to collect and retrieve the Clow Cards. Holding a rivalry-like relationship with Sakura.

5) Known as the "Flame Alchemist", an remarkably capable officer in the Amestrian State Military, superior of Edward Elric.

1) Doraemon from Doraemon
2) Tachibana Taki from your name.
3) Asuna from Sword Art Online
4) Li Syaoran from Cardcaptor Sakura (This one is just too obvious, isn't it? But you can't help because you can't describe him without mentioning his relationship with the protagonist. That just shows how character-interrelated his existence is)
5) Roy Mustang from Fullmetal Alchemist (Same as above)

BTW, does anyone notice what makes those character descriptions sounds more specific and less generic like a mob? Common factor: They all have something related to other characters and related to the story plot, their descriptions won't work at all without taking other characters and story into considerations.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom